Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Bikebacking kit…podsacs
  • anagallis_arvensis

Is the podsac stuff sold by planetx any good?

jamiep
    Free Member

Dunno, they are fairly new. Butgive Lomo a try http://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/Cycling-gear-dry.html

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got loads of them bought when they were on sale or to top up orders to get free postage, they’re made from a thin ripstop style material (my sleeping bag one is actually e-vent) much thinner than most drybags which are made from PU coated nylon usually.

Great for stuffing inside another bag to keep stuff dry/separate (sleeping bag, a dry set of camp clothes, down jacket, etc) in a non-waterproof frame bag, as they weigh a fraction of what normal drybags do. But I’d not use one strapped directly to the bars as it would probably wear through. Having said that I’ve never punctured one.

It’s not really comparable to alpkit/ortlieb/lomo/sumit2sea stuff which is probably tougher, but significantly heavier (my bar bag is an alpkit bag with separate podsacs inside for sleeping bag, clothes etc).

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Hi, the Podsacs range has now been expanded from just dry bags to proper bikepacking luggage.
    The bar bag at £20 looks ok if fairly basic.
    https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CCPDHB/podsacs-waterproof-handlebar-bag

Seat pack good value too also £20

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CCPDWSB/podsacs-waterproof-saddle-pack

I havnt used these personally, but would think they are worth trying to get into bike packing.

Jus ta note, the strap on bags are great but in wet and dirty conditions they can really wear through paint on frames / bars etc.
    If your bike is precious its worth getting some protection tape on.
    My hardtail is through to the metal in a lot of places.

martinhutch

Pod always used to be a pretty good make, be interested to see if this is decent quality stuff.

surfingobo
    Free Member

I’ve bought the large seat pack and the bar bag for PX. Not had a chance to try then yet but they look and feel very well made. Very pleased for the rock bottom price.

scotroutes

For Pod read Karrimor and for PX read Sports Direct.

martinhutch

For Pod read Karrimor and for PX read Sports Direct.

Oh. That’s a shame. 🙁

Did it go bust or did Pete just decide he’d had enough?

whitestone
    Free Member

I remember meeting PoD on Stanage a few* years ago when we were out climbing, he’d just sold the company so probably had enough/felt like getting out before the market changed. Didn’t seem downhearted about it.

* Probably about 7 years.

martinhutch

I hope he did well out of it. Nice gear back in the day.

deft
    Free Member

Sold to Rab originally, who shortly after decided to make their own packs under the Rab name, and sold Pod on again to Planet X (to die). Shame, but there’s still Aiguille in Staveley. For bikepacking gear Wildcat and Alpkit manufacture in the UK.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Bear bones bikepacking give the Lomo seatpack a great review here

http://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.co.uk/2017/12/lomo-waterproof-seat-pack-first-look.html?m=1

psycorp
    Free Member

The smaller POD drysacks are made of thin material and are designed to be used inside other bags I presume. The larger ones are more substantial, the material is thicker and would take more use/abuse.

Can’t complain for the £2-£4 each I paid for them.

anagallis_arvensis

I was looking at the specific bike packing stuff.
    Lomo looks good thanks.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BAPODLSB/podsacs-expedition-large-waterproof-saddle-bag

fudge9202
    Free Member

I think I’m going to plum for the Lomo one once I finish my Salsa Vaya build, but the snob in me loves the Apidura stuff especially the lovely waterproof frame bag

scotroutes

Based on what I’ve seen, the Lomo stuff will outlast Apidura.

I’ve recently bought a Lomo frame bag too.

whitestone
    Free Member

@fudge – I’ve the Alpkit, Apidura and Revelate feed bags/stem cells or whatever you wish to call them. They are priced low to high in that order and I’d say that quality wise it’s the same. As you’d expect – each has their pluses and minuses.

The Apidura versions have their own features like a neat one-handed closure system and a tapered shape that lessens the chance of knee strike but the wrap of the material means that there are corners that get heavy abrasion. I used them on last year’s JennRide and HT550 and there was obvious wear.

On balance I’d consider getting other stuff from them.

I’ve an Alpkit custom frame that came with the Salsa Spearfish when I bought it (custom bags can’t really be swapped between bikes) and it seems to be much better quality than the off-the-shelf stuff.

Sanny
    Free Member

The Lomo is astonishing value for money. I have one on test and am very impressed by it.

Sanny

fudge9202
    Free Member

@scotroutes what do you think of the Lomo frame bag, I thought it looked a bit “industrial “

scotroutes

It looks like it could outlast my bike, yes. 😆

fudge9202
    Free Member

The shape and access looks a bit awkward compared to the Apidura, how have you found it in use

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Planet X just bought all the stock of Podsacs, and sadly now using the once great name on their Chinese Tat.
    As others have said, there’s far better kit to be had..
    They were banging out Bergerns a long time ago, and they were genuine Podsacs iirc, but this new batch of kit, well, is Podsacs in name only.
    Shame really.

Shred
    Free Member

The day tripper light looks interesting for carrying some extra kits on a long day ride for a frame that doesn’t have space for a frame bag.
    https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BAPODSBCS/podsacs-daytripper-lite-waterproof-saddle-bag

BenjiM

I use the Lomo Rucksack for my daily commute and since there have been a few wet ones in the last few months, I can safely say that the contents were drier than me when I got to work. Excellent value for money. The only downside is that it has one compartment, but it’s big enough to take lots of things with me. I can take a whole weeks worth of clothing on a Monday and not worry about it for the rest of the week.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Planet X just bought all the stock of Podsacs, and sadly now using the once great name on their Chinese Tat.
    As others have said, there’s far better kit to be had..
    They were banging out Bergerns a long time ago, and they were genuine Podsacs iirc, but this new batch of kit, well, is Podsacs in name only.
    Shame really.

But for clarity, you’ve never seen or used the new stuff?

middleagedmadness
    Free Member

Had the 13 l seat pack for my lad but he doesn’t have enough post out to use it so I’ve used it the last 6 weeks on my tow path commute had it fully packed ,there’s no sway doesn’t leak and the bag itself is fairly well made the buckle clips aren’t up to the standard as my ortilieb one or the alpkit kit I have but I paid £24 for it , if you want to try bike packing it’s well worth a punt along with the lomo one, don’t know about the bar bag I got a ortilieb one

whitestone
    Free Member

Another Bearbones review, this time of the Lomo frame bag and tarp.

fudge9202
    Free Member

@whitestone those reviews on bearbones are very informative and impartial and based on that I could be dragged from my snobbery to the Lomo kit before deciding on the more expensive Apidura kit and that tarp looks ace

scotroutes

It’s been fine. I usually manage without a framebag when bikepacking (preferring to use the space for water bottles) so it’s really storing odds and ends. It’s currently on my fatbike on a day-to-day basis and fits the frame really well. The waterproof zip certainly doesn’t open very far but that all helps the waterproofing.

On the basis of my framebag and Stus BB review of the Seatpack I’ve persuaded a mate of mine to buy them. As I suggested above, I’ve seen Apidura stuff a fair bit and wouldn’t spend my own money on it. I’d rather go for Wildcat or Revelate (as I have).

fudge9202
    Free Member

Cheers scotroutes will have a look at the Revelate and Wildcat gear ( on your recommendation ) 😀

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Bikebacking kit…podsacs’ is closed to new replies.