Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Bikeability trainers
  • luke
    Free Member

I’ve had a quick scout on here and couldn’t find anything recent.
    Do we have any bikeability trainers on here? I’m considering undertaking the training course, but would like to here people’s experience’s the good the bad and the ugly. Do you manage to find much work out there? Do you work for yourself or a provider?
    Would you recommend it?
    How do you think it will be affected if the funding is removed in 2015?

I’ve experience of working with youngsters and it seems like a rewarding job, but is it as good as it appears?

qwerty
    Free Member

I did the course 3 years ago, and to be absolutely honest it was rubbish. Too many retired people who’d created a niche for themselves providing the trainers training & some clearly couldn’t ride a bike in traffic, teaching style was demeaning and certainly not down wid da yoof.. Pay was pants too, but clearly it’s the bike trade, so expected. There is a training provider in Manchester who I heard good things about, a more modern approach, find them and travel if I were you. I.wasted my money and havn’t taught using Bikeability.

Spud

I also am considering this, but for teaching the kids at out school some skills (I’m a parent governor) so they be confident in cycling to school. We just need to finalise the facilities for bike storage too.

flatfish
    Free Member

Two years ago I helped out with cycling proficiency but last year the school got in somebody from Bikeability.
    The teacher thats been doing the CP for years told me it was a load of crap.

I’m back to helping out this year.

(Whilst I don’t think she’s the best person for the CP, she’s got everybody to pass as far as I know).

project
    Free Member

lady gresley is a good cycle trainer,bikeability trained.

luke
    Free Member

Not looking to positive then, going by the responses.

vondally
    Free Member

where are you based?

ruffrider

I worked as a cycle trainer briefly a couple of years ago and came to the following conclusion: it was not a good proposition for anyone who needs to make a living from it as a sole source of income. The work is seasonal so discount November through to the end of March because of the weather. It mainly only takes place during term time so no work from the end of July until Mid September, then of course you also have the half term and end of term breaks where there is no work. On top of that once qualified the pay was only £8.50 per hour and I was employed as a casual worker (zero hours contractor by any other name). So, not much work that is poorly paid that would be ok for a bit of pin money if you drawing a pension that already paid your living costs. I am reminded of the old adage ‘if you pay peanuts you get monkeys working for you’.

Spud

@flatfish, what quals do you need for CP in school?

luke
    Free Member

Based in Dorset.
    Wife works full time and brings in enough to cover the bills.
    I’m ok with the winter and school holidays off so I can pursue over interests

flatfish
    Free Member

Spud – Member

@flatfish
    , what quals do you need for CP in school?

I’m only helping out the teacher but I do have my SMBLA qual’s.
    I took them onto the astroturf for the first couple of sessions to teach them how to control a bike and simple things like taking your hand off the handlebars(ready to signal) then handed control to the teacher for the real road stuff, although I’m still helping with this part.

She’s meant to be in charge but asks me for advice quite often.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Bikeability trainers’ is closed to new replies.