• This topic has 22 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Bike with only 1 brake, silly idea?
  • woody2000

My commuting bike has just 1 brake (front, hydro disk). All in the spirit of low maintenance of course (and not being able to find the matching rear brake!) 🙂

I’ve never really thought about it until a colleague at work noticed and thought I was mad. What say you STW? Mad or a non-issue?

wwaswas

is it a fixie?

kerley
    Free Member

It is actually illegal if that matters (just in case you ever got stopped)

I would feel safe enough with just a front brake but then I ride around with just my fixed rear wheel as a brake so wrong person to ask.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Bruce

My commuting bike has only one effective brake due to Shimanos inability to make a rear disck brake that works for more than about six months with out leaking oil.

woody2000

Not a fixie, 1 x 10

Seems to stop just fine, even off road. I’m aware that I’d be up poo-creek if the front failed, but does that happen?

TiRed

It is illegal. In any accident, regardless of blame, you would have some degree of contributory negligence as your ability to stop is impaired.

Just don’t, for that reason alone. Even my fixed wheel bikes have two brakes (or none for the track). A fixed transmission counts as a rear brake, until you try stopping in earnest!

SaxonRider

My commuting bike has only one effective brake due to Shimanos inability to make a rear disck brake that works for more than about six months with out leaking oil.

This. Times a million.

oxym0r0n

I had just a front brake on an SS commuter – fine until I was pulling a trailer (with 2 children in) along the canal and the wheel locked up on some wet leaves…

It was a close thing!

faustus

My town bike had one brake for a while, but I got a cheapo rear mechanical disc brake and it’s nice to have the option. I wouldn’t want to rely on the front brake at all times no matter how good it was, especially if I was going any speed.

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

Yup, as above:
    Front brake on a fixie, you can control speed with the pedals, but you (ok, I) wouldn’t want to have to haul up quick with it, however the front has never let me down yet.

I’ve seen peeps riding what I thought were fixie’s on the road with only a front brake, then to see them start to freewheel.

Not for me, thankyouverymuch.

woody2000

Hmm, maybe I’ll stick another one on then, just to be safe 🙂

thomthumb
    Free Member

what about when you indicate right (or left)?

my bike with front disk, rear canti (and it;’s fixed) is bad enough in the wet that i’m on the hunt for a disk frame.

woody2000

Indicate!? I’m on a bike for god’s sake, I own the road 🙂

Left no problem, right indicate early then move over and take the appropriate position. Non-issue for me up to press.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Definitely not ideal, possibly not road legal, but isn’t ~80% of the braking normally done by the front brake?

nickjb
    Free Member

isn’t ~80% of the braking normally done by the front brake?

Sometimes that other 20% is handy. Due to the old hack frame my commuter has Vs on the back so not nearly as good as the front but I’d still rather have something than nothing.

nickjb
    Free Member

DP

philjunior
    Free Member

I would say it’s ill advised in wet/leafy/greasy conditions for the reasons outlined above, plus legal reasons.

And when I ran fixed I had 2 (additional) brakes fitted, but mostly slowed on the transmission, maybe a bit of front brake, rear for emergency only.

ajantom

So my Transition Klunker with only a rear coaster brake isn’t road legal? Hadn’t really thought about it, but it makes sense.
    Anyway, it was frightening riding offroad with only a rear coaster, so I fitted a front disc fork and brake!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve seen peeps riding what I thought were fixie’s on the road with only a front brake, then to see them start to freewheel.

Coaster brake (or still possibly idiots)

tthew

I ride around with just my fixed rear wheel as a brake so wrong person to ask.

kerley, if by this you mean you are riding a brakeless fixie on the road then you’re an idiot, (if I misunderstood I apologise). I’d feel mightily sorry for a driver who knocked you off should you not be able to stop in a hurry, or in poor road conditions.

I’ve told people drafting me a couple of times on such bikes to ride away from me as I don’t want to be smacked from behind if slowing quickly.

kerley
    Free Member

kerley, if by this you mean you are riding a brakeless fixie on the road then you’re an idiot

Yes, I am riding brakeless fixed on the road (have done so for last 10 years) and no I am not an idiot.

I do however live in a rural location (no traffic lights, no roundabouts, very few junctions) and ride mostly off road. The only emergency stops I ever have to make are for deer that jump out of forest across my path.

ndthornton
    Free Member

I used to have a crappy cheap single-speed with only 1 brake. Its fine as long as you always remember its only got 1 brake…and tailor your speed and trail choice accordingly. It wasnt much fun on anything particularly interesting

TiRed

~80% of the braking normally done by the front brake?

Only if you like grabbing lots of front brake. Normally you should attenuate both evenly and the balance is more like 60F/40R.

Off road, you can do what you want. But the law is very clear on this point. As will be driver’s legal representatives, should you hit the side of a car that pulls across you.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Bike with only 1 brake, silly idea?’ is closed to new replies.