Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Bike weight, descending and the e-bike effect
  • roverpig

For years we’ve been sold the idea that lighter=better when it comes to mountain bikes. But now the manufacturers have these e-bikes to sell, which weigh a ton. So, are we about to see manufacturers (and parts of the media) telling us that actually a heavy MTB is better for descending really and the only reason they were light before was for the climbs?

munrobiker
    Free Member

Lighter is better. A lighter e bike will always be better than a heavier one, all else being equal. It’s still the goal to aim for but the electric bit adds something different which is enjoyable despite the extra weight.

roverpig

Yes, I wasn’t so much interested in whether lighter was actually better, more on how you can sell a 50 lb bike to a market that believes a lighter bike is better.

OK, the battery helps you get up the climb, but what’s the point if it rides like a dog on the way down?

taxi25
    Free Member

more on how you can sell a 50 lb bike to a market that believes a lighter bike is better.

Simple, stick an engine in it,

thomthumb
    Free Member

OK, the battery helps you get up the climb, but what’s the point if it rides like a dog on the way down?

have you ridden an e bike?

I had a play on a scott E-spark. which was a size too small and the suspension set up for someone 5 kg lighter than me.

It descended pretty well. There was an odd ‘solidness’ for a short travel bike. the weight and stability reminded me of a much larger bike. But it worked like i’d expect a decent full suss to.

kayak23

Dirt magazine did back to back testing of Ebikes against normal and found the ebikes were quicker downhill, even with the power off.

here…

I expect there’s a kind of line where extra weight would be detrimental but currently, it seems it’s not a negative thing.

thepodge
    Free Member

Lighter is better is too simplistic.

An ebike has a better sprung to unsprung mass ratio so should perform better.

jameso

You wouldn’t sell a 50lb bike very easily : )

They’re only +6kg on average over a normal bike of the same spec so it’s not like trying to freewheel a moto-x bike downhill. I think the importance of lightweight is over-emphasised but adding 6kg is beyond the usual +/- 500g weenie talk. +6kg does make a difference to braking and how easy a bike is handled, something you can adapt to but may or may not like.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

+6kg is about the difference between my heaviest and lightest hardtail…… there’s no noticeable difference between the two on the flat or DH (given the same wheels) uphill it is noticeable, mainly as one is set up for racing XC, the other is set up for being crashed occasionally. Neither have a motor. Most of the kit is very similar.

tomhoward

My Levo isn’t the heaviest bike I’ve owned (that’s a GT IT-1, all 48lbs of it) and is about the same weight as pre carbon DH bikes from 6-7 years ago. Once you are riding the extra weight really isn’t an issue.

Denis99
    Free Member

I ride both an ebike and a normal bike quite a lot.

The ebike doesn’t descend as well in my opinion.

It’s not terrible when descending, but it isn’t as playful or easy to manoeuvre, the weight can definitely be felt.

On the ebike , its a different approach when descending, not so fast, more of a considered line must be taken , for me.

I’m not the most technically skilled rider, just for balance, I’m sure someone with better bike handling skills would be very close to a lighter weight , normal(ish) trail shredder though.

stevemtb
    Free Member

My Cube FS feels about the same weight as my old (2006?) DH bike. It doesn’t descend like a dog but it does have drawbacks with the weight, it plus me does not make a poppy bike. Jumps or drops really have to be forced so I find it normally stays firmly on the deck.

But it really can plow through stuff when it gets going. Trail centres tend to be ok on it, enduro stuff I find it struggles (very low BB too). Flatish bits and out of slow corners the punch is fantastic though.

Overall if I could have a lighter bike when I got to the top of most descents I’d take it but I probably wouldn’t get there without it (especially with the guys I ride with)!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Bike weight, descending and the e-bike effect’ is closed to new replies.