Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Bike vs Van crash this morning
  • Lazgoat
    Free Member

Thankfully not me, but a young guy riding outside our house on his road bike and a small van.

Seeing the poor guy laid out being attended to by three ambulance crews really brings it home how fragile the human body is.

I can’t tell how it happened but he ?hit the van possibly at speed smashing the windscreen with his head.

It made me think, of it was me, how could emergency crew find out who I was and my next of kin if I was out cold?
    What do you?

scotroutes

I usually have my wallet – so driving licence.

Also my phone – contact details on lock screen.

GPS has contact details on power up screen.

I might even have my Spot Tracker with me – contact details on the account.

brooess
    Free Member

Google Road ID.
    Wrist bands and dog tags with your personal info and emergency contact details.
    I wear mine all the time but bought it mainly for road riding

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thomthumb
    Free Member

I usually have my wallet – so driving licence.

+1.

it’s worth noting if you have allergies/ etc. medical team won’t access you records based on anything like that so best to wear a bracelet or something.

leffeboy

always carry a piece of id, usually drivers licence

pocpoc
    Free Member

Always make sure I’ve got my driver’s licence on me.
    Reminds me that I need to sort out a lock screen thingy for my phone though.

matt_outandabout

ICE on phone home screen, usually have my wallet on me, most of my rucksacks have my name in.

paulhaycraft

Yeah, I use Road ID. Makes my wrists feel more even if I have a watch on the other wrist. I’m funny like that.

notsospeedydaz
    Free Member

I have an ice sticker on my helmet mainly aimed for use in construction industry

sticker

lycanthropefailed
    Free Member

Must get one of those ^.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I have the screen locked on my phone.In this mode it has just my name & emergency contact number.
    Those stickers up there ^^^ look like a good idea

Lazgoat
    Free Member

I’ll definitely add something to my phone lock screen as I don’t always go out with my wallet.

From the local paper it sounds like he may have a broken leg and head injuries. I was quite surprised at how much damage he did to the windscreen and his helmet looked intact on the floor beside him.

lustyd
    Free Member

I have an ice sticker on my helmet mainly aimed for use in construction industry

Those look brilliant, but possibly want one on the bike instead or as well as – the helmet usually disintegrates in an accident with cyclists! That said, nobody would probably look at the bike.

teamslug
    Free Member

I carry a scanned copy of my driving licence that I’ve laminated and put contact details on back of. Road ID on lockscreen too. Must admit I don’t always carry either/both but always have helmet on so sticker idea above looks like a great idea unless your head is in a van windscreen!. Hope the guy is ok.

bgascoyne
    Free Member

+1 for the road ID. Had one for about 7 years now.

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

A lot of helmets come with one of those stickers these days. At least my last two Specialized / Bonty ones did. I also got bought a little stick on sleeve with a roll out info list on which is a bit more substantial / weather proof. They’re quite established in the horsey world, apparently.

Also ICE on your phone lock screen is a good idea and encouraged to promote if you do any kind of outdoor first aid / survival /coaching training.

chakaping
    Free Member

This thread has inspired me to put a mini-address sticker on the back of my phone case, with my hone phone number.

monkeyboyjc

My top cap on my stem has my Ice contact details.

scotroutes

monkeyboyjc – Member
    My top cap on my stem has my Ice contact details.

I very much doubt anyone would spot it there.

funkweasel
    Free Member

I have my ICE stuff on my phone lock screen, but thinking about it if I got smashed up enough to need them to be called, chances are my phone would be a bit crippy too.

I’m gonna get one of those ID bracelets, I think.

allfankledup

I quite liked the idea of Ice stickers – the ID bracelets are £20ish – which is ok until you buy one for everyone in the family…

cokie

I don’t always carry something. I do wonder how important it is. I’ve not got any allergies, so they can do what they need to.

I do like the look of those stickers though, cheap enough to get a couple.

iainc

Road ID here also, it has been used in earnest once….

globalti
    Free Member

I have ICE numbers on my phone; one for my wife and another for my Medivac provider in case I’m ill or injured on an overseas trip. TBH though I doubt that would be found if I was in an African car smash or squashed flat by a container toppling off a flatbed truck as it lurched into a pothole. In the old days of AIDS paranoia I used to carry an AIDS kit but I gave up when I realised it would probably just get stolen for somebody “more deserving”.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Bike vs Van crash this morning’ is closed to new replies.