Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Bike V Car crashes, what have you seen?
  • soulwood
    Free Member

The reason I say bike v car is when you have seen someone do something on a bike and you have winced and thought "I wouldn't if I were you" and then "bang" it happens and you know it was the riders fault. My "viewing" was when I lived in Edinburgh and I was commuting to work. At a cross roads waiting to turn right to descend into Edinburgh centre I spotted a guy on a normal looking bike wearing jeans etc. He looked at me with a half decent bike and wearing bike kit and I knew he was going to race me, to prove what? That you don't need kit to ride? I don't know. Anyway he blasts ahead of me at the lights and descends down the road which I could see ahead for about half a mile and he is doing close to 30mph, all down the inside of built up traffic. I think the above as he approaches a left hand junction where cars are waiting for a gap to turn right. BANG. He goes through the nearside rear passenger window of a car that was allowed through the traffic into the junction. I roll up a few minutes later and pick his bike up and ask him if he is alright but he is well dazed and waiting for an Ambulance.

scaredypants

mate of mine collected a kid on a bmx once – he was going straight on a at crossroads (on green) and the kid came down some steps from a bridge and was crossing "blind"

luckily he hit the wing & flew over the bonnet rather than hitting door/roof etc

spooky_b329

Not an mtb, but watched a Vespa scooter approaching in the mirror a few months back, it was wet, first rain for a few weeks so greasy roads, rider wasn't wearing any gloves, and had an open face helmet on. Crossed my mind how painful it would be if he came off.

Passed me and he decided to stay out on the wrong side of the white lines for a few more cars before pulling in for oncoming traffic. Touched the front brake, front wheel washed out and he was on the deck…bike slid down the road with a sickening scrape and the rider managed to pick himself up and limp to the side of the road. Face appeared OK but hands were obviously causing him some pain!

On the same section of road I have seen two cyclists collide, one riding down the nearside on a folding bike, one on the offside. Folding bike changes sides in front of my van, doesn't look and collects the other bike as he pulls out. It always scares me that peds will cross in front of my van without checking for motorbikes overtaking me. More than once I've had to give them a blast with the horn, makes them jump out of their skin but saves the motorbike riders from a spill 🙂

Last one…watched my younger brother descend a steep ramp into a car park with no hands…has done it many times but this time he removed his feet as well…in the time it took me to wince, he was off! He didn't come off too well…cuts and grazes everywhere!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Bike V Car crashes, what have you seen?’ is closed to new replies.