• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by mdb.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • "Bike User Group" ?
  • joao3v16
    Free Member

Someone at my place of work is setting up a Bike User Group (internal to the company as opposed to a public forum).

I don’t ywt know what they’re planning, however I’d be interested to know if anyone on here has any experience or suggestions as to what a BUG might look like?

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’ve been involved in one at my last employment. It was primarily to feed back the positive side of cycling to the management (large business), survey and plan facilities, highlight problems in a logical fashion for reporting to the management and to provide links for other bike users to commuting routes, other facilities, car shares when weather is bad etc etc. We managed to get a good 50+ bike park spots installed and discounts on car parking for those who primarily ride in were in discussion, plus free showers at the work gym without membership.

disben

We have one at work which there is about 20 people directly involved. We have internal web pages to encourage cycling and ensure the organisation is involved in promoting cycling. Facilities Management come to the meetings to get an update on any works required and we have some very good facilities (bike parks, bike entrance to car parks, showers, changing rooms, clothes storage – rails, lockers, drying room etc..). We advertise best routes (we are a London Borough so some very busy routes out there) to staff and several times a year organised rides are run.

TooTall
    Free Member

Where did my reply to this go?

We have a BUG here at work and so do a few other employers. AnalogueAndy of this parish is the real driving force behind ours.

Really – it is what you want it to be and only limited by the enthusiasm of the cyclists (and the employer a bit). We use it to represent the cyclist community at meetings for example – but we have more covered bike racks (hundreds more), more showers and changing rooms and now even more lockers – partly down to the cycling community. It is a focal point for sharing route information, liaising with local councils about safety and stuff, running events (we’ve had joint events with other local BUGs – well received) too. A local BUG has slightly more forward-looking employers and they have a fleet of ‘try it’ bikes, a couple of electric bikes and an on-site tool kit / emergency spares for the use of all.

Sell the good to the employer (fitter and healthier employees with less absence, less parking problems, ‘green transport publicity’ etc) and tap them for some funds.
    Get as many people involved as possible, let enthusiastic people run with good ideas and make of it what you want.

mdb
    Free Member
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘"Bike User Group" ?’ is closed to new replies.