Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Bike upgrade – what do i do?!
  • spudly1979
    Free Member

Guys,

I'm upgrading to my second bike from a hybrid to a proper mountain bike. Been looking at various hardtails as i mainly do relaxed xc, but am moving onto harder stuff every week.

However, just to mess up my carefully laid plans – i've just seen a 2005 Orange 5 2nd hand for £600, and a 2007 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro for £750, both of which look awesome, and seem a lot of bike for the money!

Any advice? Do i stick with as good a hardtail as poss, or go for the 2nd hand option, and go for what looks like a bike that'll do anything i dare try!?

Daffy

I'd buy something a bit newer if it were me. At two+ years there could be significant maintenance problems.

spudly1979
    Free Member

Thanks Daffy, if i went for the 2nd hand it'd be from a shop, so would they not have done any maintenance needed? Or am i being desperately naive?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

The 2nd hand bikes 'may' have maintainance problems or they 'may' have been well looked after with regular servicing and replacement bearings/parts etc.
    From the OP's post i suspect he may not know enough about a full-suss frame to make an informed decision – if you do i apologise!

Thing is, buying 2nd hand is a gamble and if you aren't sure of the odds why gamble?

Personally i would spend he £750 on a good hardtail, or if you are set on a full-suss machine save up some more cash and buy a new, previous year model.
    Just my opinion though.

EDIT – 2nd hand from a shop? Well, it should be running well with no bearing slop etc. Make sure the drivetrain isn't shagged or that the shock/forks aren't shot.
    Wheels should be true from a shop (one would hope) and spinning easily, after that it's mainly cosmetic and down to you.

Daffy

As MD says, you need to check everything on a SH bike even when buying froma shop.

Cost to replace/maintain

Chainrings/drivetrain – £60-£200
    Forks – service £100
    Rear shock service £60-80
    Frame bearing service kit – £60
    Cables, Jockey wheels, BB – £50

All of it can add up, but you're sure most of the above is fine, go for it.

There's some real bargins to be had out there.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=32965

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-ROCKY-MOUNTAIN-VERTEX-50-18-2009-RRP-1495-XC_W0QQitemZ290387520876QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Bikes_GL?hash=item439c71ed6c

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=32977

spudly1979
    Free Member

to be honest, i don't know a lot about full sus bikes, but have been recommended to look at these by others who bike a lot more than me.

if/when i am ready to buy, i'll be taking a mate along to check all maintenance issues, as i would miss all but the most obvious!

i really can't justify any more than about £500, so am stretching budget to look at these, but just don't want to be looking for another bike in a year or 2 if i want to try harder rides.

bananaworld
    Free Member

am moving onto harder stuff every week

Do try and kick the habit before you get as far as smack.

james
    Free Member

What is your first bike? I presume not a medium travel FS or you wouldn't be interested in a SJer or 5. Both are good bikes, it jsut depends what state they are in being secondhand

EDIT: I think I've misread what you wrote? Is the (hybrid) hardtail your first bike, as in order of purchase rather than main/primary and other/secondary
    When someones first bike translates as their main bike, I think you've been on here too long ..

spudly1979
    Free Member

my first and only bike is a GTZum2 hybrid. I've put some ok forks on it, and osme better brakes but its really meant for road riding and is struggling with what we're doing now.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Bike upgrade – what do i do?!’ is closed to new replies.