• This topic has 18 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by kilo.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Bike Trip by Plane (not driving) – What spares and tools do you take?
  • EddieFiola
    Free Member

I’m flying to Canada to ride for a few weeks, what tools and spares do people take when they fly? I normally drive to the alps so take a whole tool box.
    Do you take your own GT85? Chain oil etc?
    Or do you just buy when you get there?

Thanks for any advice.

atlaz
    Free Member

Minimal tools, tubes, chain lube of choice, CO2. The rest I either do without or source locally.

trail_rat
    Free Member

My top tip is.

Don’t strip the bike for bagging/boxing in your garage.

Take the tool kit your taking with you out into the garden and box it there with only those tools….anything else you need to use for strippig it Pack it.

I’m waiting in my airport transit for heading to Vancouver right now ! We are cycling up to prince rupert /terrace and then back down through Banff to Calgary over 4 weeks.

EddieFiola
    Free Member

Trail rat – That’s where i’m going, but the other way round.

kilo

Flying to Canada on Sunday with the bikes. Taking tools needed to put the bikes back together, shock pump, set of Allen keys, chain tool, quick links, a few tubes, chain lube, might take a cheap aldi track pump depending on luggage weight and maybe also a rear mech having learnt how expensive they can be off th beaten track before. We are going to BC it’s a very mtb-centric area so if anything major goes wrong I’ll be going to a bike shop – much like home! We had to take our co2 out of th bags last time so will pick it up out there. Also all the supermarkets seemed to have a massive choice of clif bars etc.

rickmeister

Tools I would ride with will do for packing the bike
    Cable ties, lube of choice, brake pads, shifter cable, quick links, mech hanger, pump, shock pump and some spokes for Mavic wheels as they can be iffy to find.

trail_rat
    Free Member

When you going Eddie ?

EddieFiola
    Free Member

Trail Rat – Sunday morning 😀

tjagain

Pretty much the same as for any tour.
    Multitool
    Pump with gaffer tape around it
    puncture repair kit
    spare tube
    Spare cables ( only ‘cos tandem cables are hard to find)
    couple of nuts and bolts
    Couple of cable ties
    3 chain links and 3 quick links ( IHG bike)
    Mech hanger

Chain is putolined before setting off – it wont need doing again for the tour. Bike is fully serviced including all cables lubed before leaving

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ah well Eddie might see you on the road. Kona rove and genisis tour de fer. Going old school with 4 panniers.

One of us will probably be in bright green deeside cycling club top at most points.

Do say hi

kilo

Forgot to add bear bells, will be picking up bear spray out there.

P-Jay
    Free Member

My top tip is.

Don’t strip the bike for bagging/boxing in your garage.

Take the tool kit your taking with you out into the garden and box it there with only those tools….anything else you need to use for strippig it Pack it.

Good idea that.

I guess it really depends on what’s avilable when you’re there, I typically take a set of allens and whatever’s in my camblebak a multitool, a spare tube, levers and some patches. Really there’s not much I can’t do with that. I only take the Allen keys because they’re a bit easier to put a bike together with than a multitool.

If anyone goes wrong I can’t fix with that then I have to gamble on being able to find a bike shop – but then my trips tend to be to riding hotspots and there’s never one far away.

EddieFiola
    Free Member

Kilo – You mean Cougar dinner bells

kilo

Lightly marinate with bear spray 🙂

I’ve bought mrs Kilo some honey scented perfume as a distraction tactic!

lucky7500

Pretty much as has been said above, but I personally include a spoke key and little squeezy container of tubeless fluid as well.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Glad I threw my traveling cone spanner kit in.

Leaving telegraph cove the front wheel on the wife’s stock tour de fer gave up. 2 bearings disintegrated on the the non drive side.

Can see where they cut costs on this bike to get it under 1000. The hub set is pish.

Managed to remove the mangled remains and space out the bearings till I got to port hardy to get a few spares at North sports.

See you do that with my hope/pd8 hubs on my bike.

kilo

How are you finding the heat, it’s been fierce where we’ve been in BC.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Where are you at kilo ?

It’s been 35-40 most days since we left terrace. Riding from prince rupert to terrace in the rain and persistent headwind wasn’t much fun. Saw 51 in the heat of the day moving from the Skeena valley into the bulkley

Vancouver island was sitting about 20

Heats not bothering me too much as I work in Africa and was there till 3 days before we left. IT’s like being in an oven at times A very dry heat so not as bad as the moist heat in Africa.

Had a great tail wind yesterday made 15mph for 130km. Paid for it today with 10mph and major traffic + no shoulder coming from Vanderhoof to prince George. Hitting the pool tomorrow it’s a rest day after 1000km

kilo

We’re in Revelstoke at the moment, mrs Kilo did singletrack 6 which was Nelson, Rossland and Kaslo. Must admit we’ve found the heat quite tough. Sounds like a great adventure you’re having.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Bike Trip by Plane (not driving) – What spares and tools do you take?’ is closed to new replies.