Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 149 total)
  • Bike trends you'd like to see the back of
  • baldSpot
    Free Member

Always thought that rear derailleurs have no place on a Mountain Bike

cynic-al
    Free Member

Hardly trends Rickos!

HermanShake
    Free Member

Cable wise, my PA runs the front mech along the toptube then ends in a stop with a little vertical inner showing. The rear mech cable is completely enclosed from end to end. I’d like to see completely covered front mech cabling.

Planned obsolescence with year names +1

I heard someone in a bike shop saying that the customer pretty much had to get 10 speed as they were going to stop making 9 speed components soon! Bikes with 8 are still being sold, smells like bullsh*t to me.

PJM1974
    Free Member

There are quite a few cycling related issues which irk me. However there are a handful that drive me into a blind rage:

All the new headtube standards which inevitably appear every eighteen months. Away with them now! All new headtubes should be 1.5″ so people can be left alone to fit any fork of their choosing. Yes Giant, I am talking specifically about you.

Can we also please have a arrangement at press demonstrations whereby the first marketing type who uses the word “colourway” is taken outside into the car park and beaten senseless with a frying pan?

Price increases. Lovely though SLX cranks are in return for £160, I still remember that they cost £89 at launch in 2008. The Yen hasn’t risen THAT much in three years.

SRAM kit – see above but substitute the Yen for the New Taiwan Dollar.

Sanny
    Free Member

Stans Rims – double the price of Mavic and no where near as good quality.

ISIS BBs.

The demise of square taper BBs. They last longer than any other design. Did anyone ever genuinely think “I need a stiffer bottom bracket design” when square taper was king?

Carbon rims. Why? On a road bike, they are grabbier on long descents and cost a fortune to replace. On a mountain bike, the weight difference is marginal. They look cool but that’s about it.

Carbon frames.

Carbon components.

Oversized steerers. Jeez, another statndard that renders older standards obsolete.

Fixies ridden on the road sans brakes with teeny totey bars. Fashion gone mad.

Road bike prices going through the roof. I wonder how many of the super brand carbon machines are churned out in the same factories as the nameless wonders that can be picked up for considerably less cash.

D0NK

Downtube/under BB cable routing – IMHO the “best” for gears

he’s right you know (apart from FS rear mech cables)

get rid of silly money price trend 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

I think carbon rims are just an experiment in proving that old adage about parting fools with money.

Glad it’s not just me that gets irked by “colourway”.

toys19
    Free Member

atlaz – Member
    Isn’t that what you’re doing? You’ve got yourself stuck in a logic loop and will NEVER ESCAPE!

Sorry, misunderstanding, I meant the things like hermanshake said – snobbery to new riders, and what brycey said:

Brycey – Member
    The constant swiping and whinging about downhilling/armour/stormtroopers/gnar/overbiked/etc; it’s daft and makes the people that peddle it look daft.

Wherever and whatever people do with their time on whichever bike(s) they have, it’s better than festering in front of the telly, or doing laps of a shopping centre. I’m not sure why people can’t let others get on with it.

Not this thread. There are some actual bike design things that annoy me, seat tube bottle bosses for one..

njee20
    Free Member

The demise of square taper BBs. They last longer than any other design. Did anyone ever genuinely think “I need a stiffer bottom bracket design” when square taper was king?

Carbon rims. Why? On a road bike, they are grabbier on long descents and cost a fortune to replace. On a mountain bike, the weight difference is marginal. They look cool but that’s about it.

Carbon frames.

Carbon components.

Oversized steerers. Jeez, another statndard that renders older standards obsolete.

So… you’re a bit of a luddite?

Carbon clinchers are pointless (road or MTB), but carbon tub rims save vast chunks of weight.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Aha! I have another; well known companies fleecing newcomers to mtb by putting out horrifically poor entry level bikes and charging a packet for it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Carbon rims – only way to get the lightest.

stan’s rimes – way lighter than mavic, seem strong too.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Bike parts made from spoons…..

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Can we also please have a arrangement at press demonstrations whereby the first marketing type who uses the word “colourway” is taken outside into the car park and beaten senseless with a frying pan?

Can I expand that to ANYONE using that word seriously?

hilldodger
    Free Member

Likening the action of suspension to a spreadable dairy product…

HermanShake
    Free Member

Bottle bosses get me too, especially on frames which are intended for harder use. I think enough of us have hydration packs to leave cages to roadies and XC folk.

They do give you a place for a pump mount, but then again I keep mine in my pack…

thomthumb
    Free Member

what word do you suggest using instead of colourway?

HermanShake
    Free Member

I’ll add “soak up” to “buttery”. Absorb is a better word, “soak up” reminds me of a sopping rag.

schmiken

Colourways. WTF? If you want to be ‘merican then at least spell it colorways!

+100
    It’s a colourscheme.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Mostly, what I thought was that the hillbombers [Fixietwnotupsettingethmodword] are nothing like rally car drivers, since rally car drivers use specialized equipment on closed courses and the hillbombers use the most ill-suited equipment possible on public roads. Actually, in my opinion, the hillbombers are more like unlicensed drivers in Formula One cars with no brakes who are rallying in a national park.

If it’s a type of riding that is already well-established, only you’re using the wrong bike for it, then it’s silly.

See? Simple. For example:

–Doing tricks on BMX bikes=not silly. Doing tricks on fixed-gear bikes=silly.

–Commuting on commuter bikes=not silly. Commuting on custom titanium bikes=silly.

–Riding downhill fast on bikes with brakes=not silly. Riding downhill fast on bikes with no brakes=silly.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The USA market still likes bottle cages and they’re much much bigger than us.

Andy

what word do you suggest using instead of colourway?

Colour?

RealMan
    Free Member

Damn those silly people having fun. Damn them to hell I say.

I’ve never heard anyone ever use colourway. I’m clearly not mingling with the right kind of people.

RustySpanner

Honourablegeorge and Fortunateson:
    I am right and you are wrong and possibly a bit thick as well.

I don’t really mean any of that, btw, but it seems to be the latest fashion and I missed out on the earlier thread 😉

I think disliking matt finishes might be an age thing. We used to call matt paint primer 🙂

speaker2animals

Yay – someone agreed with me! I must admit I wasn’t thinking Full Suss, having not owned one for almost 2 years. I was using my experience of MTBs over the last 16 years or so, the majority of which have been hard tails.

nosedive
    Free Member

chainrings with no guard. who needs a big spinning sawblade between the legs ?

DaRC_L

I’m clearly not mingling with the right kind of people.

Shurely an oxymoron…

Although I will go with

The demise of square taper BBs.

honourablegeorge

@ Rusty – I’ll give you matt finishes, fair enough.

Lock on grips – for ease of removal and refitting, and never sliding around – I think they’re great.

Uppy-downy seatposts – have one myself, love the thing. It’s as much part of my riding now as gear changes, maybe moreso. Not given a moment’s bother.

I like black ano. Anything black, really, if it’s not white.

And tubeless works – I have Stan’s rims with tubeless-ready Nobby Nics on them – been mint since I got them, no flats, no hassles.

Andy

Oh yes and:

– Headset, bottom bracket and axle standards that change size, diameter and fitting every 6 months 🙄

– Sloppy frame design where the designer (usually some metro-cool seal of social networking type) hastn’t tested or peer reviewed their design or prototypes sufficiently. Eg On one cable routing, down tube and chain stay clearance or the Titus FTM Carbon which has a fancy seatpost clamp so you cant use a quick release and then doesn’t have additional internal routing for a dropper seatpost. 🙄

Andy

..and one more:

“slam that stem”… WTF??? What if you need a small frame for the correct length, which means you need a bit of seatpost and higher bars?? 🙄

13thfloormonk

Lycra worn on the outside when off roading.

OK, I’ll bite. Lycra is not a trend, its what people have been wearing on bikes for decades, and arguably would still be doing if we hadn’t all suddenly got scared of showing girls our legs.

RustySpanner

Honourablegeorge, I’m just an old Luddite.

I prefer simple solution to problems and am inherently suspicious of new tech.

I prefer a qr to a dropper because it’s lighter, cheaper, does the same job, isn’t ugly, is more reliable and gives me the chance to stop for a breather.

I secure ordinary grips with hairspray, never have them slip and change them when they wear out.
    Lighter, cheaper, simpler and better looking too!

I only started using discs and suspension about five years ago – I’ve got tubeless pencilled in for round about 2025.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Press fit BB’s, BB30 etc, internal cable routing, no set tapered steerer standard, unique frame hardware (bolts).

RealMan
    Free Member

“slam that stem”… WTF??? What if you need a small frame for the correct length, which means you need a bit of seatpost and higher bars??

Slammed = extra big drop = extra awesome.

doof_doof
    Free Member

Gimptards who wear replica team or TdF jerseys.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Alternatives to “Colourway” (aside from beating the user with a large, sturdy skillet).

Colour scheme
    Livery
    Paintwork

honourablegeorge

@Rusty – I’m a constant tinkerer, always removing bars and swapping things and that – anything other than lockons would drive me mental.

As for a QR seatpost doing the same job – I don’t believe it does. To be able to charge towards a steep descent, drop the post, charge down, and then flick a switch, have the saddle come up to meet you, and pedal straight up seated, all without stopping – it’s great. I stay on the bike longer, and go faster both up and down. For me, it’s worth every bit of the extra weight, complexity, expense, maintenance and ugliness – can see it might not be worth it to everyone, and not necessary for all types of riding, but I wouldn’t be without it now.

Horses for courses, I suppose. I enjoy the tinkering and spannering and trying out new bits almost as much as the riding – I find a couple of hours in the shed very relaxing – and hugely enjoy the buzz of getting and fitting a new part. All my bits for 1×10 are arriving next week 🙂

Sanny
    Free Member

Luddite? Moi? Mais non. I just like reliable stuff that works that isn’t going to have me in tears when it breaks. I still happily run UN73 BBs as they last for years. Put simply, they just work and keep working. As for £700 odd for an Enve rim? Fools and their money is indeed the phrase that springs to mind. If you have the money, by all means spend it and be happy with your purchase. It’s just not going to make that much of a difference at the end of the day. There’s no number on the front of my bike when I ride so the perceived performance benefits from carbon are negligible.

As for Stan’s, having seen two almost brand new rims bent or buckled beyond repair this week, I can fully understand why my local wheel builder doesn’t stock them and refers to them as Stan So Flats. Ha! Ha! Personally, I prefer to buy rims that are in true when they come from the manufacturer. Mavic rims may not be on trend but rims like the Open Pro CD work and work well.

13thfloormonk

Again though, not a trend, people have been doing it forever, and lets not forget EVERY other sport in the world where its perfectly normal to show support for a team. 8)

steve_b77
    Free Member

RealMan – Member

Slammed = extra big drop = extra awesome

Which equals an unhealthy need to conform with “what’s accepted” in certain circles.

Things that do my head in:

-All these head set standards.
    -Stuff that gets released for sale that is basically not up to scratch, maybe we need the BS kite mark back?
    -Crazy ass ideas that reach down from the media, get misinterpreted by the masses and become the “truth” when it comes to general discussion. For example, my mate wants a FS frame to swap all his bits from his HT onto, he’s been ‘told’ by one of his ‘well informed’ riding buddies (from outside of our group) that his forks (1″ 1/8″ Fox 32’s) won’t fit a new style frame cos they’re an old standard – WTF

Dougal
    Free Member

THIS!

Locally we have…

– A guy who commutes in full 2009 Euskadel-Euskadi kit.
    – A guy who wears full British kit.
    – And a guy who were’s full Paolo Bettinni – Quick Step – World Champs kit. Gloves, helmet, the works.

The first guy looks daft, but the other two are just being plain disrespectful.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 149 total)

The topic ‘Bike trends you'd like to see the back of’ is closed to new replies.