Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 149 total)
  • Bike trends you'd like to see the back of
  • HermanShake
    Free Member

These can be physical, social, whatever. What do you think we could do without?

I’ll begin with downtube routed cables, non stainless bolts, incompatible parts and snobbery to newcomers in the sport.

I’m not feeling the move to internally routed cables either, holes in your frame for mud/washing fluid to accumulate strike me as a poor idea. Oh, and the white bike thing. Black tyres on a completely white bike just let it down.

Discuss.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Fixies and everything that goes with them*

*Apart from real track bikes, ridden on tracks, and proper winter trainers ridden in the winter outside of cities and towns. They’re allowed to continue to exist.

uplink
    Free Member

Inner tubes

timmys

Pressfit BB’s.

I note with great humour that Superstar are now selling them. A part that, whoever makes them, seems to have a shorter than expected life being sold and backed-up by that muppet. Should be fun 🙂

almightydutch
    Free Member

Single ahem speeds……i’ll get me cuppa

honourablegeorge

I have a white bike with downtube cable routing, and it’s the best bike (and best cable routing) I’ve ever had.

toys19
    Free Member

The trend to cast disdain on what other cyclists choose to ride/wear/do even if their actions have no quantifiable effect on the disdainer.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

toys19 – Member
    The trend to cast disdain on what other cyclists choose to ride/wear/do even if their actions have no quantifiable effect on the disdainer.

Begone, infidel! You have no place here!
    😉

chakaping
    Free Member

non stainless bolts

Amen to that, also agree with you on internal routing.

My bugbear? Triple chainsets on 6in travel all-mountain bikes.

And press fit BBs.

And 2×10 chainsets that are obviously going to be too low or high geared for most riding (OK, I’ll admit I haven’t ridden one, but they look daft).

vinnyeh

model years. Change for the sake of change. Built in ‘obsolescence’.

yunki
    Free Member

off-road cycling..

it’s ruining the bleddy countryside for us decent folk..

hilldodger
    Free Member

“Hardcore Hardtails” the label, not the bikes themselves

almightydutch
    Free Member

Mudguards

chakaping
    Free Member

Got (top of) downtube routed cables on my new DH bike and it is brilliant, just thought I’d say.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Strokes for folks of course, my road bike has downtube routing and frame colour is simply aesthetics.

I think the downtube is a vulnerable place for a cable to be and prefer the look of white accent parts as opposed to a complete white bike. I’m glad you enjoy your bike, it’s really none of my business!

Brycey
    Free Member

The constant swiping and whinging about downhilling/armour/stormtroopers/gnar/overbiked/etc; it’s daft and makes the people that peddle it look daft.

Wherever and whatever people do with their time on whichever bike(s) they have, it’s better than festering in front of the telly, or doing laps of a shopping centre. I’m not sure why people can’t let others get on with it.

Garry_Lager

The proliferation of the term ‘finishing kit’. Too fatuous to contemplate really, but you hear it all over the place.

honourablegeorge

I have a white bike with downtube cable routing and a press fit BB, and it’s the best bike (and best cable routing) I’ve ever had.

atlaz
    Free Member

toys19 – Member
    The trend to cast disdain on what other cyclists choose to ride/wear/do even if their actions have no quantifiable effect on the disdainer

Isn’t that what you’re doing? You’ve got yourself stuck in a logic loop and will NEVER ESCAPE!

RustySpanner

Black anodized parts – cheap and ugly.

Dropper seatposts – will be ok when they work, I suppose.

Tubeless – as above.

Matt black frames – dull and unimaginitive.

Lock on grips – pointless.

Sat nav – get lost, you might just enjoy yourself.

chakaping
    Free Member

Zesty perchance george?

Not had any BB problems?

HermanShake
    Free Member

toys19, this wasn’t intended as a judge fest. More to see if there are consistent things we don’t need. An mtb room 101 if you will. But yes, point noted; I agree with you.

uplink
    Free Member

This year’s ‘must have’ tyre

timmys

I have a white bike with downtube cable routing and a press fit BB, and it’s the best bike (and best cable routing) I’ve ever had.

Mine is too! I’s just prefer it if the BB wasn’t pressfit.

honourablegeorge

@Herman – white accent parts are fine – until it comes to rims. Rims should be back, and so should tyres. But I do like a white bike.

I suspect this dates back to the Raleigh Eclipse I got twenty something years ago. It had black rims. I thought that was the coolest thing in the world, and still did, long after the brakes had rubbed it all away. Just like this one:

HermanShake
    Free Member

I have to defend the dropper seatpost, maybe I’ll route the cable on my downtube?

z1ppy

Press fit BB’s, and any headset standard other than 1 1/8 or (pure) 1.5

chakaping
    Free Member

No, it’s a good thread – smart move to distract attention from all that pointless pontificating about the state of the nation with some far more important carping about bicycles.

Rickos
    Free Member

Colourways. WTF? If you want to be ‘merican then at least spell it colorways!

And people talking tosh about you buying too small a bike if you have lots of seatpost showing.

honourablegeorge

@chaka – Spicy – no hassles as yet. Would prefer if it wasn’t pressfit, just for ease of replacement, but at the same time, I can see some reason to it, the BB area is massive, and I suspect it lends a lot of stiffness to the frame as a result.

cynic-al
    Free Member

TT cable routing – pointless.
    The trend NOT to slag off folk on better bikes or noobs – WTF else is there to be happy about?
    Carradice being fashionable.
    People at bike events wearing only bike-branded gear. Get a life.
    6′ guys on 16″ bikes. We know you STILL can’t jump. “flickable” WTF LOL

mchlptchr
    Free Member

+1 z1ppy

I can’t see the need for more than 2 headset standards.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The opposite of this, people who cast distain on people who know perfectly well that a 100mm (or even rigid) hardtail singlespeed isn’t the correct the tool for the job, but choose to ride one anyway because it’s fun in a completely different way to a 6″ travel bouncy bike.

Evangelists of any type of bike or bike part, infact I’m going to put SPD’s on my Pitch when I build it back up, and cut down my bars to make then narrower!

Stans No-tube rims, the biggest con ever? They’re just a normal rim, but without the spoke eyelets and a slightly different shape bead. Thats the same manufactureing process as an Argos BSOs rim! And no they’re not a small volume manufacturer exploiting a good idea whith high overheads to cover, no economy of scale etc etc etc, they’re a division of Sun-Ringle, one of the biggest rim manufacturers out there!

speaker2animals

This weeks “New Industry Standard” – it’s only an industry standard if the majority adopt it. Square Taper cranks and 1″ (and to a pretty big degree for quite a while) 1.125″ headsets were in effect industry standards (I’ll ignore English and Italian threading cos I can). Now everyone who invents a new headset/BB/drop out spacing/size claim it’s a new Industry Standard. It’s not. Things like Cannondales BB30 and ISIS were attempts (as far as I have evidence/understanding) to create I.S. as they were offered for take up license free.

Downtube/under BB cable routing – IMHO the “best” for gears. The one bike I had with top tube routing I found rear shifting deteriortaed often and required lubing/cleaning. I beleive that water hits the bare cable on the seatstay and runs down and into the loop of outer at the rear. On bikes with under BB cabling I’ve never had the shifting “go off” as badly or as often.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Tubeless – as above.

Your just wrong about all of these, I’m afraid.

+1 for triple chainsets on big bikes – in fact, they have no place on anything other than out and out XC bikes.

Rickos
    Free Member

Home made tat like disc brake mounts and cargo bikes.

😉

andyl
    Free Member

yearly price increases would be a nice trend to get rid of.

honourablegeorge

Rusty Spanner – Member

Tubeless – as above.

All wrong, I’d say.

almightydutch
    Free Member

Lycra worn on the outside when off roading.

RealMan
    Free Member

Non slammed road bikes of course.

Triple chainsets on anything. Just pointless, unless you’re incredible unfit but bonkers fast dh.

Press fit BBs.

Tubes are good as standard, but I’d like to see more tubeless compatible rims come as standard too. It is the way forward for most people.

I love the idea of internally routed cables, makes everything look much neater. Never had any experience of them though.

EBBs on anything with gear cable routing, and only then with a brilliant, well thought out design that actually works.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 149 total)

The topic ‘Bike trends you'd like to see the back of’ is closed to new replies.