Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bike transport for USA roadtrip
  • molgrips
    Free Member

So – better to hire a great big truck thing (expensive for two weeks) or can you rent some kind of bike rack?

TooTall
    Free Member

Probably quite cheap to buy a rack? Or do the hire companies do them? Better service than UK companies.

molgrips
    Free Member

It did occur to me just now that for two weeks purchase might be a good idea. Fairly obvious really 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    footflaps

Just take the wheels off and stick them on the back seat – I can get 3 bikes in my Golf like that – and you'll have way more space in an American Sedan.

molgrips
    Free Member

Just take the wheels off and stick them on the back seat – I can get 3 bikes in my Golf like that – and you'll have way more space in an American Sedan.

Cept the back seats will be required for a passenger.

I'm not totally daft 🙂

STL

Minivan? Try asking for a crew cab truck (has 4-5 seats in the front) and a bed, hang a blanket over the bed edge and remove front wheels on bikes, hang them over the side/back of the bed. Some places (whoever carries Ford) might have a transit connect available as those have just started selling over here. A lot will depend on where you are flying into.

STL.

uplink
    Free Member

We managed to rent a big double cab Dodge RAM pick-up with Alamo at Vegas airport

molgrips
    Free Member

Didn't a pickup cost you a ton to rent?

uplink
    Free Member

Didn't a pickup cost you a ton to rent?

Can't remember the exact cost but it was in the same group as a full size SUV

molgrips
    Free Member

Right.. sounds fairly pricey then.

EDIT: having checked a nearby location (expedia doesn't do the exact place) it's £260 for an economy car and £422 for a minivan. That's a shedload cheaper than I thought… also a load less than we paid last time, but then that was an airport.

uplink
    Free Member

http://www.carhire3000.com/

often have good deals for the US

mcmoonter
    Free Member

We rented a people carrier few years back. Two rows of seats and we still managed to get bike boxes and all our gear in lengths ways. Americans just dont do compact cars.

plumber
    Free Member

don't forget all the extras they pile on so the actual bill ends up being twice as much

innit

uplink
    Free Member

don't forget all the extras they pile on so the actual bill ends up being twice as much

innit

Not if you sort it out beforehand it doesn't

molgrips
    Free Member

The insurance is the thing – it'll probably include some kind of compulsory insurance, but to get fully comp cover they sting you. So I found a uk insurance company that you pay £100/year and they cover you fully comp for hire cars in the USA.. any number of drivers or miles. Called world insure, iirc.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bike transport for USA roadtrip’ is closed to new replies.