Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Bike trainer or stationary bike
  • jorgechx
    Free Member

Guys

Basic Question: Bike Trainer or Stationary Bike? It seems to me that bike trainer are safer in terms of value for money. I was checking at a few stationary bikes and found them terribly expensive.

Is there a real limitation in bike trainers (not rollers, those are discarded) compared with stationary bikes?

gingerflash

If you mean turbo-trainer types, your actual bike on a stand, then I'd say these were miles better than a gym-type "exercise bike". Your proper position, proper saddle, bars, pedals and shoes. Surely it's bound to be better than the very upright position, massive saddle and flat pedals of an exercise bike.

jorgechx
    Free Member

Thanks. Yes, I meant the turbo trainer types which actually found them much more affordable than a stationary bike. I am just wondering why trainers are not so "famous" compared with stationary bikes and what it is their real weakness (if there is one) …

ourmaninthenorth

what it is their real weakness (if there is one)

Often their weakness is in their owners, who do not know how to use them and quickly become bored of the experience.

a turbo trainer is most effective when you have a specific programme you wish to complete on it. They are not really a replacement for long rides outdoors (thought it is possible, but boring), but are much more effective for hard intervals or strength training, where an hour on the turbo is more valuable than an hour on the road.

Not all turbo trainers are the same – some are veruy simple, others measure power and have a virtual reality output. Decide what you need it for, then buy accordingly.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

If £££s are not a problem, then a "spinning" bike is far better than either a turbo or a "gym" stationary bike.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Bike trainer or stationary bike’ is closed to new replies.