Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • BIke tour of Belgian WW2 sites
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I’m considering this as a tag on to a visit to a pal in Brussels in September.

It seems like a good size to cover on a bike (potentially a Brompton)…is there a variety of museums etc to see (non war as well as war) to keep me occupied for a few days?

The weather looks potentially iffy…correct?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Weather, you can’t possible tell that far in advance. It’s rained most of July so far in Northern Europe. September can be great. Same weather as South of England.

andyfla
    Free Member

Just been out to Ypres for the tour we saw

Hill 62 – Sanctuary wood
    Tyne Cot
    In Flanders Field Museum in Ypres
    Menin Gate at 8pm, they play the last post, it was to busy when we were there to be special but supposed to be awesome

Def recommend all of them, although they are all WW1

JulianA
    Free Member

Can’t think of too many WWII sites in Belgium – although there is an Atlantic Wall site near Ostend which I very much want to visit.

Andyfla has nailed the sites around Ypres, plus there’s the Essex Farm site where John McCrae served, the German cemetery at Langemark, the cemetery at Poelcapelle where the youngest known soldier who was killed is buried, the grave of Noel Chavasse VC and bar at Brandhoek Military Cemetery, Talbot House in Poperinge (another lovely town).

The Last Post at the Menin Gate is always busy and special anyway – hard not to be deeply moved however many people are there (and it’s good that so many people still go).

Den Anker and Oude Tom are great places to eat in Ypres, and the Ariane and the Ambrosia are great places to stay. The Ariane is more expensive than the Ambrosia but both are excellent for their respective price brackets.

Haven’t cycled around Ypres but there appear to be dedicated cycle routes around WWI which go past some of the sites above.

Love Belgium – I’d live there like a shot.

Flaperon

There was a really good write-up in yesterday’s “i” if you can still get hold of it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Battle of the Bulge was WW2, and in Belgium?

Ta, I’ll do more research.

Pigface
    Free Member

Bastogne was where the American General said “Nuts” I believe, nice town with a Sherman tank in the main square.

Cougar

I have nothing to add beyond “Brussels is awesome.” I envy you.

Cougar

nice town with a Sherman tank in the main square.

See, you do that here you’d get arrested.

JulianA
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    Battle of the Bulge was WW2, and in Belgium?

Ta, I’ll do more research.

Yes, it was, but in the Ardennes – quite a long way east though…

Pigface
    Free Member

Very broad minded the Belgians 😉

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

German graveyard in Lommell. Really takes your breath away the sheer scale of the place.

Klunk
    Free Member

Theres some bits and bobs in Bastogne

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve been to Bastogne, seen/had the/a tank.

The museum was shut tho ;(

Klunk
    Free Member
    hora
    Free Member

Go. Worth going. Im going again in August.

granny_ring

Following this thread, heading out to Ypres area in Sept and thinking about Ardennes next year.

JulianA
    Free Member

The Ardennes area is fantastic. Spa is a good place to stay, Durbuy is lovely.

Stavelot Abbey has a good motor racing museum, the Falls of Coo are good, and who could resist a trip to Plopsaland (I kid you not!) Coo?

There are caves, good walks, mountain bike routes, lovely towns, a preserved railway or two…

The food is good, the beer is good, the scenery is good. Great place.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

We’ve just been to le coupole at st omer which is worth a visit and could be on your way

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘BIke tour of Belgian WW2 sites’ is closed to new replies.