Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • Bike tools you should have bought long ago….
  • cp

After failing miserably with the old screwdriver wedged against the slot method of chainring nut loosening, I put 25 years of bodging without one to rest and bought a chainring but tool. Revelation…! Best fiver ever…

zinaru
    Free Member

one day ill buy a torque wrench

wwaswas

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Split link pliars

onandon
    Free Member

Just ordered a park workstand, rotor turning tool and chain link pliers.
    I know I can do without all of these but – hey, I’m not a barbarian.

lunge

A few spring to mind:
    A track pump – Why did I struggle for years using a mini-pump?
    Repair stand – Not sure of this counts but it makes working on the bike so, so much easier.
    Good cable cutters – Through cables like a hot knife through butter. Far better than any bodged methods.
    A good torque wrench. Note the word “good”, had an old X-Tools one and had no confidence in it, my new Norbar one is much, much better.

kilo

Not a tool per se but Mechanics seat with a tool tray, really handy when the bike isn’ up,on a work stand

BadlyWiredDog

The little blue anodised Park Tool gizmo for removing the core from tubeless valves (with removable cores). Brilliant thing if you run tubeless and 100 times better than the rest of the plastic rubbish out there:

Also, the awesome Park Tool pliers for undoing chain quick-links.

Northwind

I want that hydraulic hose doofer.

Just received a longer handled chainwhip, I’ve been using a lifeline one I got right when I started riding, in their big cheap toolkit they used to do, it’s perfectly good at the job but I’m a bit puny 😆

BadlyWiredDog – Member

The little blue anodised Park Tool gizmo for removing the core from tubeless valves (with removable cores).

There’s a spoke key that’s exactly the right size for this- can’t remember which size though.

tomd
    Free Member

Decent quality set of ball headed hex keys.

ultracrepidarian
    Free Member

Dualco grease gun.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I really want this oil gun/ gizmo thing this hunk uses at 3:20

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rATtpiaAYx8[/video]

chakaping
    Free Member

Good thread. Could get expensive though.

The tool in the OP looks way better than the awkward, short-handled one I have. Also want that hose tool.

Had this a couple of years now, but it’s still my favourite tool…

cp

Could get expensive though.

**goes off to google an array of tools…**

I am now slightly regretting starting it 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

Where’d you get that chainring bolt tool BTW?

Simon

Headset press. Still haven’t got one.

yunki
    Free Member

I’ve not owned a multi tool for the last 4 or 5 years which annoys me regularly but still I don’t sort it out

cp

Where’d you get that chainring bolt tool BTW?

it’s FWE – evans own brand. Click the pic to take you to the evans page

chakaping
    Free Member

Cheers cp.

If we’re also doing tools we should really have, but don’t yet…

Yak

Headset press. Still haven’t got one

Get one – very satisfying and removes all the drama/worry of the hammer/wood technique.

Think the main game-changer for me was a workstand. Everything is better when the bike is the right way up and at eye height.

Northwind

I’ve got a headset press. I use a rubber hammer.

weeksy

Wheel Truing stand…. so much so that i may actually buy one today actually.

I’m debating the Park Tools TS-8 if anyone has any experiences with one.

Yak

Why is that then? – @northwind

I’ve fitted many with a mallet/hammer/wood in the past, and none have ever gone wrong. But the headset press is many times quicker and the cup goes in perfectly straight every time.

cp

Workstands are brilliant. I did make that investment pretty early on, a Minoura one which is still going strong. The rotating head is great not just for holding frames/bikes but also for holding suspension forks when servicing them.. particularly as you can hold vertically to remove lowers/drain and then rotate horizontally for reassembly of lowers and dribbling lower leg oil bath in.

superleggero
    Free Member

I’ve got nearly all of the stuff listed so far (the Jagwire brake hose tool is a favourite) but the Hilka mechanics seat is a genius idea.

Must resist…must resist…oh go on then 🙂

cp

Wheel Truing stand…. so much so that i may actually buy one today actually.

I’m still holding off that… I’m still happy using frame/fork as the jig, with a ruler blu-tacked on as a guide 🙂 I may change my mind if I ever use a proper jig

TheBrick
    Free Member

Small lathe. Useful for making tools as needed. Want a a bigger lathe now and a mill!

BigDummy
    Free Member

the awesome Park Tool pliers for undoing chain quick-links

Game-changing, and gratifyingly cheap! 🙂

woody74

Just bought a Park handlebar holder. Been meaning to get one for years as everytime I build a bike I curse at the bloody handle bars swinging around.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Just ordered a Park RT2 for oversize headsets.

RT1 is awesome, but I now have bigger cups to whack.

woody74

One day I wish my shed would burn down and all my tools backed so I have an excuse to buy a full Park tool kit.

40mpg

A quality T25 torx tool. Better quality than the B&Q one which rounded off a disc bolt last week d’oh!

joshvegas
    Free Member

Star fangled nut installer
    Crown race remover
    Dremel
    Decent spoke key for the correct size.
    I have a quick link tool but i have the the inverted quick link tool on its way.

Northwind

Yak – Member

Why is that then? – @northwind

I’ve fitted many with a mallet/hammer/wood in the past, and none have ever gone wrong. But the headset press is many times quicker and the cup goes in perfectly straight every time.

Cup goes in perfectly straight with a mallet too, if you’re any good. Main difference is rotating/alignment, that’s annoying with logos but a real issue with angle headsets and often with presses you get a wee bit of movement as you fit it.

BadlyWiredDog

There’s a spoke key that’s exactly the right size for this- can’t remember which size though.

Yeah, but the Park Tool one also removes the inner core from Schrader valves using the other end. Great for fork and shock servicing.

The tool I really, really want, but can’t justify buying is the Shimano pedal cone adjusting one for tweaking the bearings of SPD pedals. RRP of £50 ffs and still 43 quid at CRC for something you can do with a couple of spanners.

clodhopper
    Free Member

Bought some split link pliers recently, and a 3rd hand tool. Just so much easier to have to do stuff with. Really wanting a wheel building stand, probably going to ask Santa for a Park TS2.2 for xmas. And having recently lost my valve core remover dustcap (from Halfords), that Park VC-1 looks very tempting indeed.

Stuff like headset presses are only worth getting if you run a bike workshop. For occasional use, the bit of threaded bar and large washers/old headset cups thing works perfectly.

Considering how to make some alignment gauges/dishing tools at home. Very simple tools, which are relatively very expensive. Will be so satisfying to have a set I’ve made myself, for buttons.

santacoops
    Free Member

A vice that actually fits my bench.

Northwind

I want a bench that fits my vice

kiwijohn

I should have bought a work stand years ago.

mildbore

+1 bench and vice. Really want a universal bearing puller/press as I’m so cackhanded I can never take out/refit bearings without a sweaty panic moment

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Bike tools you should have bought long ago….’ is closed to new replies.