Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Bike tools parts in hand luggage?
  • toys19
    Free Member

Will I be able to bring my bottom bracket, bottom bracket tool and tommy bar in my hand luggage from exeter to aberdeen? Flybe..

twohats
    Free Member

A mate of mine tried flying with a coil shock in his hand luggage a few years back, security made him check said bag with hold luggage. This was before the restrictions on hand luggage too.

grantway
    Free Member

That would be a no

ampthill

No

But in the good old days you could pretend not to know, look surprised and take the bag back round to check in. Thus ensuring know one weighted your bike and tools. But sadly I think those days are gone…

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Pedals, shock springs, Allen Keys all ok apperently.

Torx Keys, apparently not

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

Security pulled out a pair of spiky DMR V12 from my hand luggage at Malaga airport asking what they were for? (thinking presumably they looked like knuckle irons!) Thankfully they let me board the plane with them (must be ’cause I’m a girl!)

coffeeking
    Free Member

Flown with all sorts of things in my hand luggage, including pedals and tools (that don’t have knives on them) and never been asked. I just flew Glasgow to Luton with a 9″ long piece of 2mm thick carbon fibre shaped like a knife blade with seriously sharp sides, without question.

mrmoofo

Tools are a no , no matter what coffeeking says – they are getting more relaxed and you can talk some things through …
    I got pedals , handlebars and allen keys through.
    Spanners/ screwdrivers – not a chance according to the security man at Gatwick …

Bottom bracket took – well, I got a crank extractor out. Well, I got three out in my luggage because I didn’t know which one I needed.
    But not with the spanner attachment

zbonty

I had the Phillips driver taken off a Park Tool a few years back. Allen keys were ok.

I also had to answer some questions about some disc rotors they saw on the x-ray another time. I think they thought i was an inter-continental ninja or something?

poolman
    Free Member

I fly a lot & am too mean to pay for hold luggage. So far I’ve brought pedals, chain rings, cassettes with no problem.

Top tip, if not sure bring a stamped addressed envelope, if security say no, post it back home.

toys19
    Free Member

poolman, this is essentially the quandry. But I have decided not to risk it as the staff at exeter airport have done me over in the past for trivial stuff. The wife is posting the stuff to me tomorrow. Thanks for the advice everyone.

euain

Toys – I can lend you the tools easily enough.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Bike tools parts in hand luggage?’ is closed to new replies.