Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • bike to work question – clothing particulary
  • scotia
    Free Member

Hello,

here in switzerland i bike to work in the summer and normally in the colder/wetter months use the scooter (moped in english?) to get to the train station and continue on train to work.

our scooter is borked and i dont have the space/time/knowledge to fix it. i am thinking either to do the commute the whole year except extreme snow conditions, or just do the home to station and then train it.

but how to dress for that short ride? if i go in work clothes and its raining hard/cold then i end up a mess.

any advice?

how do people do the commute all year round (not including ice/snow as i’ll defo leave that..).

thanks in advance for any tips!

thecaptain
    Free Member

I tend to look out the window and dress appropriately.

scotia
    Free Member

right, thanks.

i was kind of hoping for recommendations – like overtrousers/jacket on top of normal clothes, pack in the pannier and im off..

i thought with the wealth of experience on here i might get some tips on what people do and what work and especially what doesnt..

but i like the sarcasm thats great. useful too.

infidel
    Free Member

I commute by bike much of the year. I don’t when it’s been subzero overnight as I’ve had a few accidents on ice. I have a set of clothes at work with shower kit and shower/dress there. Sometimes I just have to accept that I’m getting into wet shoes etc at the end of the day and I’ve had days when I’ve got it wrong and am stood at work at the end of day looking at pouring rain and cursing…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Do you have changing facilities at work?

If it’s a short ride, would you really need to change? Leisurely ride with waterproof overtrousers/jacket perhaps?

Is it a hilly/hard ride?

Etc. a little more detail would help.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Hi Scotia, I think people probably feel there have been quite a lot of posts about this already. I ride to work in all weathers here in Sweden including snow and ice. 8km door to door. I wear my normal clothes with a rainjacket and/ or some cheap waterproof trousers .

I keep spare underwear and socks and a t shirt at work. I sometimes don’t ride if it’s really shit weather!

Depends on lots of factors though of course. If you wear a suit at work for example.

njee20
    Free Member

Can you leave work clothes at work? Makes things a whole lot easier.

How far’s the ride to the station?

Edit: cross posted with about 3 previous posts!

whitestone
    Free Member

The worst scenario is if it’s raining in the morning since you’ve then got all day thinking about putting your wet kit on to ride home. Riding in the rain isn’t too bad if you are riding in the direction of the wind but is pretty horrid if you are.

Usual recommendations:

Fit full length mudguards
    Get some overboots which will catch whatever the mudguards don’t.

In poor weather I wouldn’t ride in my work clothes, you don’t necessarily need to use biking specific clothes but having something to change into is worth it. Put whatever you take with you into dry bags. Leave a full set of clothes at work just in case you forget something or stuff gets wet on the ride in.

thomthumb
    Free Member

14km each way here. I wear cycling kit & change at work; no need for a shower I take it steady on the way in – so i don’t sweat.

for mid winter i’ll be wearing:

winter boots
    warm socks
    bibshorts (keep everything tucked in)
    warm tights – endura thermolite
    warm baselayer – ski one from decathlon
    softshell

clothes/ lunch etc carried in a rack bag.

Shoes live under my desk. I also leave a spare outfit there in case i forget bits.

If it was shorter i think work clothes (or most of them) with a waterproof jacket & trousers would do.

teamslug
    Free Member

I commute throughout winter but not if weather is really bad. My shortest route is a fairly flat 6.5 miles. If its raining I have endura breathable over trousers and an Endura jacket but even at a leisurely pace the inside of the overtrousers are damp as is the jacket. I have an old 26″ hardtail with big mudguards which i’ll use if its really bad which keeps most of the spray from the trails/road off me. I have facilities to get changed at work but wouldn’t like to think I was riding into work and keeping same kit on esp if it was wet.

epicyclo

Most of the wetness isn’t what falls directly on you but what gets sprayed from your tyres and passing vehicles.

The problem was solved in the 1890s.

Full mudguards, chaincase, and wear a cycling cape. Your lower legs get damp, but that can be avoided by leggings – you can see why plus fours became popular back then.

I have spent a 12 hour day riding in normal clothes with a cape. It rained half the time and that system just worked. It is also quicker on and off than any waterproofs so you can delay the putting on a bit more. It also is eminently breathable so you do not boil in a bag.

The problem is finding a decent cape. Mine is a very lightweight one – too light. I’m looking for something more substantial.

scotia
    Free Member

ok thanks.. yes sorry if its an often talked about subject..

its 20km each way the full commute, pretty flat on the way with big descents into Lausanne. Easy but in summer i take it fast so i shower at work and leave certain things in the office to reduce the weight every week..

i have full mudguards.

my plan was to stick to the same idea – get up and go, shower at work..

but if i do the 2-3km to the station i’ll shower beforehand and then get dressed for work – the main question was this – if i do this and then do the 2-3kms and its pouring i get soaked!

scotia
    Free Member

with shoes – i have to use flats on my bikes due to my knees.. so i have yet to find overshows that work with these..

any ideas?! i can dry my shoes at work so i guess its not a big problem..

whitestone
    Free Member

Something like Sealskinz socks and gaiters to help protect your shoes.

scotia
    Free Member

ok thanks, good idea

IHN

I used to commute 20 miles a couple of days a week, with showers and changing facilities at work, so I wore ‘proper’ cycling kit and had shirt/trousers/socks/pants in a pannier (left shoes at work)

I now cycle about 2 miles to work every day, in normal clothes so…

like overtrousers/jacket on top of normal clothes, pack in the pannier and im off..

this, basically.

Kahurangi

but if i do the 2-3km to the station i’ll shower beforehand and then get dressed for work – the main question was this – if i do this and then do the 2-3kms and its pouring i get soaked!

for this plan, you can have some cheap waterproofs to go over your work clothes and ride gently so you don’t get sweaty. you’ll need to change shoes or get some good overshoes though.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

All weathers/regular cycling clothes shorts and jersey waterproof jacket if required/big ruck sack with full office suit shirt underwear and shoes and some work files/lots of baby wipes/change at work.
    Does mean by the time I have gone to bed I have changed 5 times.
    Plus when covering other areas need to change in the station/train lavatory.
    Edit 20 miles round trip (10 each way)

rhid

I do 10km each way in all weathers. I put work clothes in my bag and wear regular riding clothes to ride in. If I get wet on the way to work I can dry myself at work with a towel.

TiRed

Over-trousers and a good coat for the short (gentle) ride to the station. Some shoe covers for work shoes are also a nice idea. Otherwise full winter riding gear and change at work after a shower. I assume your bike has mudguards. If it does not, fit them and a long mudflap as well.

10 km is the threshold for time for slow ride in work clothes vs. Faster ride and shower. Below; ride slowly, above; hammer it!

lpayne89
    Free Member

I ride 4-5 miles each way and just wear my work shirt/trousers under light jacket and waterproof trousers when its wet. Just take a pair of trainers for riding and have a quick clean up when I get to work.
    Its working fine for me at the moment but I think by the end of the year i’ll convert to full cycle gear and shower in work.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

In your position I’d get some waterproof bib tights (Morvelo Stormsheid or similar), goretex jacket, neoprene overshoes and sealskinz socks, a waterproof beanie (Sealkinz do one), goretex jacket and waterproof gloves.

Then leave clothes at work to change into or use waterproof panniers/backpack if you need to take things in and out.
    You can always leave shoes and a suit jacket or something at your desk/office so you don’t need to carry them.
    You have changing/showering facilities too.

Garry_Lager

Problem with wearing normal clothes and riding in like a gentleman is that riding slow feels much less safe to me on UK roads. Particularly urban commuting within a 30 limit. So I’ve always preferred lycra, a change at work, and come in at pace 🙂 – more comfort and safety.

I actually have a minor injury atm meaning I can only bimble on the bike – came in this morning on a MTB doing around 10mph. Didn’t feel good at all, like you’re detached from the traffic flow rather than part of it.

scotia
    Free Member

thanks for the advice!

will get a little shopping done & i’ll be right.

ta

monkeyboyjc

When I commuted to work I took a bag of work cloths in on a Monday for the week and took them home again on a friday…
    Wouldn’t want to do it in work clothes….. Ergh.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘bike to work question – clothing particulary’ is closed to new replies.