Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Bike thieves – how many do you think are on here?
  • Smee
    Free Member

I know for certain it's not zero.

How many do you think there might be?

Onzadog
    Free Member

That's not a nice thought. I'd not even thought about it until now. Thanks!

Swiftacular
    Free Member

I hate this kind of Thread.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Not sure how tin-foil-hat to be about it really. I can't imagine you would be tapping into a huge goldmine of addresses of tasty bike collections just by lurking on here.

BlingBling
    Free Member

Loads on the Clasifieds.

They check the bike forum to make sure they're not trying to sell you your own bike back first though.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Are the stolen ads on classifieds more artfully written that the ones people link to on ebay from time to time?

I suppose its cost and all that, but it would be great if all the bike forums aggreed to have a shared 'stolen bike' page, ie you post it on BM and it comes up on all the other forums.

I'd have thought it would be easier to pinch someone's pictures from pinkbike etc and sell a bike that you don't actually have, rather than one you have to go to the trouble of 'acquiring' and then posting.

grumm
    Free Member

I thought this looked pretty dodgy -http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-2007-santa-cruz-v10-frame-set

Not sure if it was a scam or stolen or what but def way too cheap imo.

jim
    Free Member

How? Is it you 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think we just make everyone register with a comapny ISP type e-mail address prior to selling toprevent scams or improve traceability.
    I also assume easier to sell things you dont have to multiple buyers than nick a bike first and then sel that.

bananaworld
    Free Member

It's me, I'm the bike-robbing scally! Mwhahahahaha!

Luckily for you lot you're all safe as I work in a bike shop so help myself to a bike each and every day and satisfy my need.

I don't sell them on, I just pile them under my bed and sleep soundly knowing they're there. It's comforting, y'know?

brakes
    Free Member

if anyone can steal to order, let me know

br
    Free Member

Many years ago you could go into a motorbike breakers in Scunthorpe, you'd ask for a part, they'd say 'no', but come back next week and we'll have it then

You can guess the rest…

taka
    Free Member

brakes – Member
    if anyone can steal to order, let me know

😆

Drac

I think there's 3 maybe 87 but certainly no more than 116.

jackthedog
    Free Member

There probably aren't as many thieves on here as their are bikers who are happy to buy no questions asked cheap parts off ebay.

sv

I thought this looked pretty dodgy -http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-2007-santa-cruz-v10-frame-set

…and no activity since. There should be some form of vetting/feedback/inner circle setup for classifieds. Being able to sell a bike with one post and then disappearing can't be right.

Kunstler

I'd just like to state that my bike is rubbish. Really, really rubbish.

barca
    Free Member

There is a not so frequent user on here that has flogged loads of parts and accessories that have a somewhat dubious path to the eventual users possession and some of those very parts have been used in bike magazine articles (attached to bikes of people photographed riding them).
    I know the person in question has been quite open with the fact that these items may have come "under the counter" but they've all sold without any bother.
    He's had the opportunity to acquire a few completely brand new road and mountain bikes but has declined the offer.
    Before the blue lights and sirens come flying round the corner, I really can't remember the guys name or address…………
    Not quite stolen to order but not far off. I was once however waiting on a shimano freehub which I'm told was described to the acquirer as something that whizzes round and clicks……he turned up with a Shimano fishing rod reel 🙂
    "There probably aren't as many thieves on here as their are bikers who are happy to buy no questions asked cheap parts off ebay."….or here Jackthedog. The irony is almost tangible.

theboatman
    Free Member

12?

Shack
    Free Member

Nabbed one red handed in work the other day. Turned up on a beaten old bmx and proceeded to try and force the lock on a hardtail. Whole thing captured clear as day on CCTV, security guys came in and arrested him. Police came and took him away. Result. Well almost, turned up next day asking for his bmx back!

MattPhotos
    Free Member

And email address created purely for this scam.. nice.

I reckon its 7.
    Just throwing that out there, y'know.

Drac

security guys came in and arrested him

I'll bet good money they didn't.

snowslave

Registered – 29.

Unregistered just browsing the site for useful info – 3511.

nbt

this looks dodgy. first post, new bike, less than half price…
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/claude-butler-cape-wrath-d27

eth3er
    Free Member

I live in Portsmouth and ride an 18 speed rigid Saracen. Honest.

surfer
    Free Member

He's from Liverpool as well which sows it up nicely!

mudhound
    Free Member

never been too keen on the shiny new bikes with the back of the house/garden access shown in pictures threads!
    If you click on member and look at posts – find out where they ride and have a full name in their e-mail address then that could be a lot of information.

taka
    Free Member

i ride a reebok innit spent like £40 quid on it cos it matches mi trakkies and shoes bruv

😀 Tim Westwood init bruv

loddrik
    Free Member

Surfer, are you really a tit or are you just pretending??

CountZero

Well, Surfer's probably not too far off the mark, as it is a fact that Liverpool Police sent a number of their people to Glastonbury to work with the local Police apprehending known scallies who were going there specifically to steal from tents. Just as there are London thieves travelling to Bristol to steal bikes to sell back in London. Always best to work somewhere where your face isn't known…

dogmatix

excuse my naivety but don't most bike thieves just drive around streets in vans looking for an opportunity? do people actually stalk these places for addresses and then stake peoples house out? wouldnt that be a very long winded process? is there some kind of online database of stolen bike codes if not shouldnt the ctc do one? then when buying something on ebay it could be cross referenced?

loddrik
    Free Member

So it stands to reason that every person selling a bike from Liverpool is a criminal. Do you realise how much of an idiot you sound?!

loddrik
    Free Member

I guess that as the 7.7 bombers were from west yorkshire, everyone else who lives there are suicide bombers, stands to reason obviously….

Ambrose

Surfer = Boris Johnson

Reluctant
    Free Member

Goan – I guess you're refering to Kaesae.
    Care to spill the beans? Off forum if not on?

surfer
    Free Member

Surfer, are you really a **** or are you just pretending??

Lodrick. I was being ironic. I am a scouser myself and tire of the stereotype. Most times I ignore it but sometimes I rise to the bait.

loddrik
    Free Member

I suspected some irony but it isn't discernable through text. I guess I would have to pity xipe totec as I think he actually believes the point he makes is a valid one….

dano
    Free Member

Im afraid that most bike crims come from london as there are soo many more bikes… and its sad to think that your loved machine can be nicked and more often than not is sold for £50 in the local dodgey pub…

smitjo89
    Free Member

Hi I'm the person selling the claude butler cape wrath for half price. Just because i am from liverpool doesn't mean i have robbed it I got the bike for just over £200 because I work for my local council and they have a bike scheme for staff were you can get one a year so keep your snidy remarks to yourselves.

barca
    Free Member

Joe – if it's only two weeks old, does that mean you've only just bought it through your employers bike scheme? If that's the case, it's not actually going to be yours to sell until it's paid for in full and signed off to you.

Try not to be offended by people on here though, they can be a little hysterical on occasion 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Bike thieves – how many do you think are on here?’ is closed to new replies.