Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Bike tampering!
  • Jakester
    Free Member

An odd one, this.

I’ve recently taken up riding to the railway station for work – a few mins there, quite a bit longer back as I live in Bath up one of the big hills.

I usually lock my bike under a railway arch next to the station, along with possibly a hundred other bikes of all types.

My bike is my old GT Tempest, that’s now fitted with a Surly rigid fork, rather distinctive Answer Pro Taper risers in gold, and a Charge Spoon saddle. It’s not standard, but it’s not anything particularly special either.

Anyway, rode down this morning, parked up, went to work, had to come back from work early so got back on the bike around 12.40ish.

Started mooching back homeward, all fine, but when I got to the first slight incline, as I increased effort and really tugged on the bars for the first time, the handlebars slipped backwards and I nearly fell off.

Had a quick look – turns out someone had unscrewed one of the stem faceplate securing bolts!

Quite clearly unscrewed as it was almost completely out, rather than just loose.

No idea why it happened, but potentially pretty dangerous!

Anyone had anything like this happen to them?

scaredypants

presumably somebody disturbed a thief ?

Jakester
    Free Member

Possibly, but it’s quite a well-used bit of town, and to get the bars off they’d need to remove the lock-ons and brakes and shifters – not the work of a moment!

I’m at a bit of a loss TBH.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bearnecessities

Pretty crap theif.

Jakester
    Free Member

It’s here – looks like a dark and dank hole but actually it’s pretty well lit and regularly used as a cut-through to get to another part of town.

orangeboy
    Free Member

You don’t need to remove all the stuff off the bars to remove them , just the face plate or whole stem.
    Either full bolt heads with silicone or tamper proof bolts

andytherocketeer

4 bolts, snip, snip, snip, snip…
    and they’ve got some bars, some brake levers and some shifters to stick on ebay.

Not sure how much smack, crack or 420 that buys.

Thief got disturbed.

Replace those bolts with security torx, and go check all the others too (brake calipers etc.)

Personally, I tamper with my own bike when I have to leave it. Cable operated brakes always get left with the quick release undone. If thief loses his teeth or gets a view of the underside of the number 42, then that’s not my problem.

Basil

Given the rise of cycle to work and quite good locks, this happens a lot were I work.
    Lots of parts stolen.
    A handful of allen keys and a pair of snips,
    The last close call for me was when I unlocked my bike and both brake levers fell off as the allen bolts had been removed.

ski
    Free Member

I caught a lad today eyeing my commuter bike up after work today, as I walked towards him I could see him stood next to my bike with a hoodie jacket on covering his face, at the time I thought he looked weird,must have been roasting with that hoodie on?

As I got closer I could tell he was waiting for me to pass by, so when I stopped the other side of my bike, I smiled at him and went to unlock it, he turned away and fled.

Lucky for me, wee’d in his shoes today 😉

At work we get targeted just after everyone gets their new cycle to work scheme bikes, at least six were taken last year!

Jakester
    Free Member

Hmm, all rather depressing. I obviously had too much faith in my fellow man. Barstewards.

minley1
    Free Member

Well it’s clearly the Ops fault, who ever tampered with it is clearly ‘Povo’ and is ‘sticking it to the man’, you should be ashamed, displaying your sickening example of wealth for all to see!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Bike tampering!’ is closed to new replies.