Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Bike swapping
  • funkmasterp

I’m a bit of a serial bike swapper, quickly approaching eight in five years and this got me thinking. Is there a website that mainly trades bikes as opposed to selling them? I know Pinkbike offers that ‘will consider bike related swap’ option, but I was curious about any other sites.

This isn’t a stealth advert by the way. I’m actually quite attached to my current bike and looking to buy another for winter: general duties. In the past I’ve sold bikes because I just fancy a change or bought an eBay bargain that didn’t size up right etc. It would have been nice to be able to simply swap with another addict rather than using eBay, Pinkbike etc. Good idea, shite idea or already exists?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Why don’t you just switch the frames and keep the rest ? Or just switch a few bits and keep the frame ?

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

What has worked for me was offering a swap to a seller whose bike I was interested in.

funkmasterp

Jambalaya – I normally swap completely. As in hardtail 26 to full suss 29 to a single speed steel drop bike, that sort of thing. Do keep some bits. Have a collection of pedals, brakes, stems and saddles stashed away. I am also lazy and can’t be bothered stripping too many bits off and selling them individually.

ajantom

Just have 8 or so bikes (like I do 😳 ) means you are poorer, but can swap at will.

weeksy

Its a great idea as people often swap from xc to enduro and also in reverse etc, so the potential for a direct trade is quite high.

I’m not a serial swapper but its not uncommon. I’m currently in a massive internal debate on swapping to a 160mm 29er enduro bike from my Spearfish. But a lot depends on how much I can get for the Fish. A lot also depends on whether its really a bright idea or not.

funkmasterp

I would love eight bikes, but only have room for two unfortunately. I am surprised that something doesn’t exist as I know a few folk who are similar to me and just fancy something different every now and then.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I’m the same, just like riding different bikes.

Happy with my current garage, but I do crave having a Capra.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Bike swapping’ is closed to new replies.