Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Bike suggestions for my wife
  • jlctom
    Free Member

I’m looking at getting a new bike for my wife, she’s not particularly into cycling but our children (4 and 6) are and are increasingly wanting to do things that are a little more challenging. She currently has a Kona Smoke (mtb/hybrid cross) which is showing it’s age and was always heavy.
    Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be worth looking at – main criteria are for it to be light and give confidence/comfort off road. It will spend most of it’s time on forestry commission trails (of increasing difficulty as the children progress!) and roads. I have a Cotic Soul and something similar would be my aim although would need to be cheaper unless I can buy it without her noticing as she’d never be prepared to spend that kind of money on a bike for her, second hand would be fine.
    She is quite tall – 5’10/11ish so I’m sure some would advise to just ride a mans’ frame however although she is strong she’s not the most agile and significant standover would definitely give confidence. I’m inclined to avoid 29ers as well as they tend to feel ‘big’ and ungainly to move around especially when off the bike and that kind of thing will really quickly put her off. This may be my prejudices coming through – My Cotic is 26″ and my real love is my BMX, however I also know my wife!

From having a very quick look there doesn’t seem to be that much around – but that could just be the result of not much research – the Orange Diva looked ok but I couldn’t find anything that would tell me how much it weighed which was irritating. Kona Mohala was something else that I saw – again no idea what this weighs, and I’m less keen on the 1X11 drive train.

Anyway, thoughts would be greatly appreciated – thanks in advance.
    Tom

bigad40
    Free Member

Same situation here with kids mad for bikes and wife not that keen.
    I put together a DMR Trailstar and she loves it.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

I’d suggest the Genesis Core I’m selling, but I think you’re a bit far from me..! They’re worth a look used though; good light frames, stable geo, and tend to get overlooked in favour of more well-known bikes.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Voodoo Marassa £240
    Laura Trott HYB 1 £360
    13 Incline Alpha (only 16″ frames left) £360
    Voodoo Wazoo £400
    Ramin One £400-£500
    Calibre Dune £580

Goldigger
    Free Member

Giant Liv Lust..

sadmadalan

You will struggle to find a “women’s” bike for your wife given her height. In simple terms there are very few women that tall and even fewer who cycle.

As such it may be easier to get a frame and build something yourself, changing all the critical bits to suit your wife – saddle, handlebar width, stem length, etc.

dmorts

This may be my prejudices coming through

Given what she’ll be riding and how tall she is, you’d be daft to overlook 29ers.

Edit: On One Parkwood? Think the top tube reach is on the short side, so favourable to female riders

matt_outandabout

It *has* to be one she fits and likes IMO – you are going to have to show her a few, sit on them and agree with saddle/colour/grips etc.

Light is brilliant – mrs_oab was transformed when we managed to pick up a light Cannondale that just flew under her. Even more so when after a few saddle swaps we found a saddle that agreed with her, and when I found small, smoother grips.

I agree with thinking about 29ers.

Do also remember cycletowork – we have just ordered new bike, in sale, and saved all the tax on top, and (more importantly), mrs_oab gets to ride a light, nice, new bike she chose for £50 a month, not a big lump sum up front.

MoreCashThanDash

If she is petite, MrsMC has just taken possession of a Pinnacle Kauri – 26″ wheeled “kids” bike. 1×9, hydraulic brakes, rigid fork, weighs 25lbs but plenty of scope to lighten/upgrade.

She is very pleased with it, therefore, so am I!

Ignore me, just read your thread properly……

LadyGresley
    Free Member

This probably won’t help unless you can find a secondhand one, but I bought a Trek Mynx SL a couple of years ago, and it is really, beautifully light and easy to ride, and came in a large frame – I’m only 5′ 8″ but have a 33″ inside leg, so struggle to find something I don’t feel “perched” up high on. That feeling really doesn’t help with confidence!

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’m about to disagree with myself here, so hold on…

women don’t need ‘women’s specific geometry’ – which is based on the myth that women have longer legs, as a proportion of their height.

some do, some don’t.

however, we ended up with a Liv Lust for MsWife, as at a towering 5foot1, there isn’t much choice in the world of XS mtb’s.

(it’s bloody great btw)

chestrockwell

I built up an Orange Diva for my wife and she thinks it’s great. The frame was plenty light enough so the weight will be dependent on the build.

dmorts

I built up an Orange Diva for my wife and she thinks it’s great. The frame was plenty light enough so the weight will be dependent on the build.

Is it the 29er, 650b or 26 version? Also how tall is she?

medoramas
    Free Member

My wife bought a Whyte Fairfield last summer, £499 rigid hybrid bike that can take some proper 29er tyres. It hasn’t got disc brakes, but it’s lighter than my hardtail. Lovely bike. Not a proper off-road machine, but copes perfectly with easy forestry tracks (Green at Haldon, New Forest cycle network, French gravel trails).

I’ve used it plenty of time myself.

boobs

I have a BMC Shiver that my children have grown out of, it is in good nick, send a mail if interested, about £350-£400? It is just sitting in the garage at the moment. mail in profile.

jlctom
    Free Member

This is great – thanks everyone. I’ve been out all day and need to do food/bedtime for the children but then I’ll look at this properly. Keep em coming if anyone has any more thoughts.

sweaman2
    Free Member

I wouldn’t discount a 1×11 drivetrain. It makes shifting simpler which might be no bad thing and is potentially lighter.

crikey
    Free Member

Standards have fallen so far in this place…..

If she can cook, clean and has a 36 inch bra size I’ll give you a 1998 Spesh Stumpy for her.

jlctom
    Free Member

Thanks for all this – there’s certainly somethings to think about.
    bigad40 – randomly I have an old Trailstar frame in the garage from before I rode BMX. I hadn’t thought about that, it would certainly give the stability and confidence I’m after with good stand over but I think it would probably be uneconomical to build it up to any kind of sensible spec as the frame is fairly heavy, however I’ve only had it built as a full on jump bike have you got any idea what your wife’s weighs and what have you built on to it. The only other snag with this is that I was quite hoping to seduce her with shiny new and I’ve had my Trailstar since 1998 and it looks it!
    Golddigger – I showed her some pictures of the Giant but she just made a face – too technical looking I think was the problem – shame really as I think full suss might be quite good for her.
    matt_outandabout – You’re spot on about the need for it to be ‘right’ or she won’t be interested. But speakings as someone who refused to even consider riding anything that isn’t made of steel I feel I’m in no place to judge!
    chestrockwell – really interested to hear about the Diva – what size does your wife have and how tall is she? Particularly good to know that the frame is good enough to be worth upgrading if I went for a fairly basic build to start with to keep costs reasonable.
    sweaman2 – I wouldn’t completely rule out a 1x drivetrain, I run 1×10 on my Cotic and in some ways I really like it, but I think she’d find the lack of range annoying – as she is less skilled on a bike she wouldnb;t be able to compensate for the lack of options.

Thanks again everyone – this has been really helpful.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Bike suggestions for my wife’ is closed to new replies.