Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • BIKE STUFF STOLEN IN BURNLEY – Targetted Break In
  • johnellison
    Free Member

Just found this morning that my shed has been broken in to and a Mythic Scream freeride bike that I was building has been stolen.

This was obvioulsy a targetted theft because absolutely nothing else has been disturbed or taken. What’s all the more mystifying is that I haven’t told anyone about it or shown anyone, and my shed isn’t at all obvious from just walking past the house.

Please be on the lookout for a black Mythic Scream V2 frame, fitted with Manitou Stance triple-clamp forks, X9 rear mech, a couple of mongrel wheels, Hayes Stroker Trail brakes and Superstar floating disks. Luckily it has virtually zero value but it’s the inconvenience. Pain in the ass.

That said I’ve found a lovely footprint for the rozzers to take away with them…

RustySpanner

Where abouts are you?

binners

Sorry to hear that. Have you got any piccies? I’ll keep my eyes peeled and let people know

It does appear that the recent thefts round the north west are targeted, and not opportunist. Which is worrying. I’m just going to order one of those shed alarms. To accompany the various locks.

johnellison
    Free Member

@Rusty Spanner – Cliviger mate, near the Kettledrum

@binners – it really is mystifying. I haven’t told anyone about it or shown it to anyone. Like I say, my shed isn’t obvious from the road and they’ve touched nothing else. I have an enormous Snap-On type tool chest in there too, along with various other bike bits and bikes in various stages of build and it’s nothing else has been touched.

RustySpanner

Me too.
    Funny old world.

I’ll keep an eye out.

And get some better locks.

edward2000
    Free Member

Sheds. Not places for a bike. Something similar happened to me. Possibly opportunist though, sheds are easy targets and People will unscrew your shed door just to take a look inside and bingo, there is a shiny new bike for them to take. I don’t think the police take shed crime too seriously so the risk/reward ratio of burgling sheds is in the thiefs favour IMO.

Do not keep your replacement bike in the shed again. They will wait for your insurance to come through and take another look inside in 6 months or so.

I keep all my bikes in the house now.

user-removed
    Free Member

I’d be wondering about whoever I’d bought the bike from tbh…

binners

Oh here we go. For those who inevitably start banging on about not keeping bikes in sheds (I’m sure Hora will be along shortly), I’d love to keep my bikes in the West Wing of my extensive 7 bedroomed property, or maybe in my large, secure double garage. Unfortunately, I possess neither! As I live in a terraced house ( oh…. The shame!) which is filled with me, partner, 2 kids, 2 cats and our ‘stuff’ 🙄

So it’s the shed, and some bloody big locks! No, it wouldn’t be anyone’s preferred option. But choice is a luxury some of us don’t possess. So lets leave it at that, shall we?

dabble
    Free Member

Sorry to hear about the break in, hope they catch the turd(s).

As I live in a terraced house ( oh…. The shame!)

I feel your pain brother, Fight the Power!

Luckily i’m a loner single and therefore my bike comes to bed with me. It’s crap at spooning though, i always have to be the big spoon.

binners

John – it does seem that it’s more downhill orientated bikes that are going missing. I work with a guy (young whipper snapper) who does a lot of DH riding round east lancs, so I’ll pass the description on.

edward2000
    Free Member

OP, seriously, some scumbag knows whats inside your shed so expect them to come back. It doesn’t mater how massive your lock is, they will unscrew the door. If the door can’t be unscrewed, how secure is your roof? Got a shed alarm? So did I, but the nasty men (public forum) simply took the batteries out. Duh.

Seriously, if you can keep anything inside your house then I would, unlike Binners who chose to have no choice 😉

binners

To be fair, I’m often tempted to switch the present residences of the bikes and the kids 😉

edward2000
    Free Member

Like I did with my lady? I didn’t even notice she had been stolen.

binners

😆

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Bikes that are kept in houses, what are they secured to? Once there in can they just roll out the door and be off?

Riksbar

This was the guy who took my bikes from Harle Syke way 18 months ago, and has a lot of form. I think I was targeted. Mine turned up on gumtree in Macclesfield. Hope they get whoever it was.

mattjg
    Free Member

That sucks.

In the spirit of being helpful: you think it was targeted but also think the stolen bike was near worthless. That doesn’t quite add up if you mean you think they came in specifically for that bike, with fore-knowledge.

Bikes that are kept in houses, what are they secured to? Once there in can they just roll out the door and be off?

Fair point, but keeping it in the house ups the ante for the perps I think, in particular I’ve read the police treat theft from the home as a much more grave offence than theft from an out building.

johnellison
    Free Member

@Riksbar – wouldn’t surprise me in the least. If it was up to me that scrote would have been euthanised years ago, he can’t help himself. Lives up Brunshaw somewhere, I might go and have a tootle round this afters.

Thanks for all your advice folks – FWIW I don’t keep my “good” bikes in the shed. It was a half-built Mythic which I was just going to use for mucking about, hardly any value, it had no tyres, seat or drivetrain and it weighed a tonne.

I know what you’re saying about security folks but in all honesty there isn’t a lot more that I can do as regards where stuff is kept.

johnellison
    Free Member

BTW – my neighbours car was broken into as well last night. Took his sat-nav out of the glovebox but left the expensive keyboard and PA gear in the boot…

mekon
    Free Member

If you use strava or other route mapping apps make sure advanced privacy is enabled.

Thieves are know to use these to target cyclists.

user-removed
    Free Member

Riksbar – Member
    This was the guy who took my bikes from Harle Syke way 18 months ago, and has a lot of form.

You know how some folk just look exactly like what they are? Well, that.

mattjg
    Free Member

I know what you’re saying about security folks but in all honesty there isn’t a lot more that I can do as regards where stuff is kept.

Yeah, in fact there comes a point where expensive bikes aren’t worth the stress, may as well buy cheap or second hand.

johnellison
    Free Member

Sheds. Not places for a bike. Something similar happened to me. Possibly opportunist though, sheds are easy targets and People will unscrew your shed door just to take a look inside and bingo, there is a shiny new bike for them to take. I don’t think the police take shed crime too seriously so the risk/reward ratio of burgling sheds is in the thiefs favour IMO.

Do not keep your replacement bike in the shed again. They will wait for your insurance to come through and take another look inside in 6 months or so.

Read my OP again – I know what you’re getting at but it wasn’t a complete bike, it was in build, literally just a rolling chassis with no drivetrain, seat or even tyres. It weighed the think end of 25lbs so it wouldn’t have been easy to carry. It was all parts that I’d bought off eBay for little or no money. There was other stuff in the shed which was more valuable and more “fence-able” such as hand tools and power tools.

No other sheds or garages have been broken into and aside from my neighbour (who actually lives on the other side of the village, so it could be unrelated) who’s car was broken into, no other properties have been targetted. It’s impossible to see the shed from the road without venturing well onto the property.

No, somebody knew what they were after and where it was.

There’s a little bit of good news – the rozzers came within an hour of me reporting it and sent a CSI unit to photograph a very clear footprint which I found. The forensic guy knew immediately what make and type of shoe it was without even looking it up and even though he didn’t say it in as many words, he more or less intimated that he had a good idea who it might be…

Riksbar

OP, these things are generally the same people. They view it as their job just like normal non-scrotes. Hope they can recover them. The fences are the people the also need to target.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

I found this website useful for shed security
    http://securityforbikes.com/index.php

rickt
    Free Member

Op… You have said your named bike has been stolen, advertised better parts in your shed and your good bikes are not stored in the shed……

If it was me I would not be advertising these facts…. All it takes is for that person who nicked them to google your bike name and town………what’s the first result…. I bet its this thread..

I would request this thread is deleted…….and post a simple stolen thread..

grum
    Free Member

Sorry to hear about the theft.

I’m not entirely convinced it was targeted though. Thieves are often stupid/drunk/high/rattling for a fix – they might just have grabbed the first thing they saw and legged it.

We got broken into and they left my MacBook which was as on the work top near the door, but stole two tatty old ice axes.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Fair point, but keeping it in the house ups the ante for the perps I think, in particular I’ve read the police treat theft from the home as a much more grave offence than theft from an out building.

“burglary dwelling” carries a much higher tariff and is also a home office priority (read “throw more resources at it to get the figures”). A garage IS a dwelling if it has a door that leads into the house, otherwise not.

The difference is it being investigated by a dedicated team of detectives with a hefty overtime budget, or a busy response officer with a bulging in tray being chased from immediate to immediate. Said team may take it on if it forms part of a series, they think Johnny Big Potatoes has done it or some boss gets the hump with high value stuff being nicked and tells them to.

Theres also a 3-strike rule that means (in simplistic terms) on a third conviction a dwelling burglar gets a mandatory 3yr sentence. Amazing how many burglars turn to non-dwellings and shopliftings after a few lengthy sentences. Cost-benefit analysis and all that.

Rickt, I dont know any burglars/thieves that use the internet as a tool. If they had a smartphone or computer to access the web they’d sell it to pay for heroin, not go onto google.

hora
    Free Member

My bike is not insured binners (seriously).

When I lived in a studio flat in London it was a shared shed or behind my bed. Guess what I felt behind my head at night?

I wouldn’t give a cig to a lowlife let alone £200 in his pocket down the pub that he profits from from a dodgy sale.

I now have a brick built shed+ a huge shed, a garage and no chance anything of value lives there.

Anyway.

rickt
    Free Member

crashtestmonkey – Member

Rickt, I dont know any burglars/thieves that use the internet as a tool. If they had a smartphone or computer to access the web they’d sell it to pay for heroin, not go onto google.

Strava tracing, geotagging, buy & sell then don’t turn up but have your address, we have heard it all before on here..

Each to their own

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘BIKE STUFF STOLEN IN BURNLEY – Targetted Break In’ is closed to new replies.