Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Bike stuff hard to sell on?
  • dooge
    Free Member

Hi all,

is anyone else having issues selling second hand kit? I know the market is saturated and we are a society of excess but I have had little interest in what I thought would be really popular. I am trying to sell my Nomad and Fox 34’s, not bothered about which goes first but they dont work together due to having a tapered steerer and 1″ 1/8th headtube.

I also find it weird that there are literally NO Nomad frames for sale, everyones selling their bikes complete. There are 10+ complete Nomads ranging from £1300-£3500 on Pinkbike and eBay yet no frames. Bike specification is so individual that Im surprised they havent thought Ill just split it and make a bit more money.

I have advertised them once or twice on here (will put them up again in a bit!) on Pinkbike, Ride It Out and 5 Facebook mountain bike groups but only basic enquiries and stupid offers.

Rant over!

Simon

If stuff doesn’t sell it’s generally priced too high.

razorrazoo

I’ve found ebay to be my best method of sale for smaller parts and forums for frames. I’ve often got way over what I though parts were worth on ebay and managed to sell most bits for my minimum price. I think for frames the challenge is at the moment that we are in a state of change with standards and things such as 26 wheels, 1 1/8 steerer and (probably less of an issue) 135/QR rear will be off putting to many and drive prices down.

d45yth
    Free Member

If you’re desperate to get shot, try eBay…I know it’s a sickener paying the charges, but at least you’ll get whatever someone’s willing to pay.

Trekster

Too many people being scammed 💡

Personally don’t buy 2nd hand unless I know history/seller, seen some what I would consider rip-off stuff friends have bought! Some have been lucky, others have bought new stuff that’s been swapped out/upgraded etc.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Backwards/forwards compatibility is worse these days than say 6 or 7 years ago: time was loads more stuff worked with loads more stuff and all you seemed to worry about was steerer length.

Now you have mutiple headtube, bb, wheel and axle ‘standards’ which mean that your frame only works for someone that has the right back wheel and fork. I would imagine that it is more straightforward to sell a whole bike in some cases as if you are changing frame chances are you have to change quite a few other major parts as well. 😕

weeksy

I’m quite shocked my dropper seatpost hasn’t sold quickly…

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

You answered your own question in the second sentence.There’s just too much stuff around. You can either keep the price (too high) as it is and hope a mug punter comes along in a few months or drop the price to tempt possible buyers into buying yours. Unless a buyer is set on buying a Nomad you’re up against all the other obsolete bouncy bikes. Three months ago I bought a mint condition Ventana for £150 and have just bought an Intense 5.5 for £200, not as shiny as yours but I can see it’s sound and been well looked after.

dooge
    Free Member

Yep, all valid points. It is the wrong time of year to be selling on. I havent approached eBay yet, mainly because of the prices and you have to get the description bang on for fear of someone pulling you up for that tiny scratch you forgot to mention.

How much would you guys value a medium mk1 Nomad frame, Thomson post, seat collar, external BB and Fox Float Kashima CTD shock for? Very good condition, new bearings, has been resprayed (which I know is contraversial for some people) and looks really tidy. I have it up for £600 OVNO posted or £400 without shock.

razorrazoo

As an example, just under a year ago I bought an almost immaculate Turner 5 Spot frame for £450 ish with an angleset and RP23 (none Kashima). Have a look at ebay auction ended prices for a rough idea about what to expect.

Love the sparkle black paint btw.

EDIT here you go

Simon

I wouldn’t buy any frame that had been re-painted or powder coated.

theonlywayisup
    Free Member

Backwards/forwards compatibility is worse these days than say 6 or 7 years ago: time was loads more stuff worked with loads more stuff and all you seemed to worry about was steerer length.

I agree with sentiment. The second-hand market has more factors to consider.

I recently sold a Cotic Hemlock with a straight 1 1/8″ steerer. I tried it on STW for a week at what I thought was a reasonable price. Got some interest, but no-one bought it. I felt the price was ok, but the steerer tube was maybe the issue with potential buyers looking around for forks to fit.

I gave up on STW and put it on eBay with a BIN price £30 more than it had been advertised on STW. I sold it within 24hr.

Price is a factor, but getting enough people to see your ad is up there. eBay has it’s problems, but it can also be useful.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Your asking price is not dissimilar to other asking prices for similar frames on this forum, but they aren’t selling either.
    I have no idea what you should ask but I do know what I’d be prepared to pay, but I wouldn’t even consider it without the shock. Who needs the hassle of sourcing another and then more hassle getting it tuned?
    Either stick it on Ebay or be prepared to drop the price by £50/100 a week on here.

Northwind

Yeah, selling in multiple places can be really effective, I’ve had stuff get zero interest on here then sell in seconds on pinkbike, bikeradar or facebook.

Mostly I move the stuff I want to move for the price I think is right. Sometimes it takes a while, other times it’s wanted ads. Exception being my Last Herb frame but I’m sure it’ll sell annnnny day now.

beicmynydd
    Free Member

Sold my 26 2009 Spicy on pinkbike took a few weeks but it was priced to sell. The market for 26 bikes is not dead but taking time to find the level.

Garry_Lager

Why is it the wrong time of year? All the part timers are just dusting off their kit right now for the summer.
    The most difficult stuff to sell on is decent kit from less well known brands – goes for buttons. Whereas even the most knackered hope pro2 wheelset will usually shift for a good price. Wouldn’t have thought you’d have a problem with a fox fork or a nomad frame in that respect so persevere I guess.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Bike stuff hard to sell on?’ is closed to new replies.