Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Bike Storage help please
  • rwc03
    Free Member

Hello all

At the moment I’m storing my mtb in the living room but it’s getting in the way and starting to annoy my girlfriend a bit. I don’t want to keep it in the shed so any good ideas for a subtle(ish) bike hanger?

Space is a bit limited so there’s no where to hang it by the front wheel, ideally I’d like it up off the ground and level so we can slide washing e.t.c. under it. It’s a carbon full sus so no nice round steel top tube to hang it off (like this) so by the seat post looks like the main option. The Cycloc looks good but £60 for a plastic bucket seems a bit steep.

Thanks in advance

rwc03
    Free Member

Thanks, will have to check our ceiling and if the land lord is Ok with it

Stoner
    Free Member

Batten screwed to wall with a couple of No.5 screws & plugs, an eyelet screwed to the wall and a bungee. c £5

rwc03
    Free Member

Stoner, that looks like a great cheap idea. Thanks!

Stoner
    Free Member

to protect the wall you might want to sandwich a wheelbase length+ piece of 5mm plywood, say 300mm high for the wheels to scrub on.

rwc03
    Free Member

Was thinking the same, don’t want to leave an imprint on the wall or scuff it up too much. Might have a baton per wheel with a square ply backing.

simon_g

We have a couple of these: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/saris-bike-bunk-cycle-rack/

Work well in rented places as they just lean against the wall, there’s padding to ensure it won’t mark the wall. All the weight is taken by the T-piece on the ground. Preferable to the “stripper pole” types – a couple of friends have had theirs fall over, and it’s easy to damage the celing with them too. To be honest, they’re a bit pricey for what they are, but would be quite easy to make a DIY copy. Think I’ve seen a similar one made out of IKEA wardrobe bits somewhere.

They’re quite good for hanging washing on too 😀

rwc03
    Free Member

I suppose nothing needs going into the wall but £90!

prezet
    Free Member

Bike bag? And store it behind the sofa?

andyl
    Free Member

I think maplins sells those hoists for about £7/8.

I just use a work stand to hold my bike. Leave the jaws open and horizontal and just sit the top tube in it. Then stand the other bike underneath it. Gives you a good excuse for a nice bike stand 😀

You can put washing up underneath and even put hangers off your bike! Just watch out for mud.

andyl
    Free Member

Ps either use the seat clamp or just loop the nose of the saddle over the top clamp bar for quick hanging.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Bike Storage help please’ is closed to new replies.