Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Bike storage
  • jsinglet

In my last house the bikes were stored in the garage, hanging from the wall. I moved house recently, to a house where the garage had been converted. Fine I think, luxury heated bike room it is! However…

I attached my bike hooks to the wall, only for them to pull out of the all after a few weeks. The wall seems to be some kind of plasterboard with insulation behind it, it’s about 150mm from the actual real wall.

Any suggestions for something other than wall hanging that will get 5 bikes in the same amount of space? Or some clever way of attaching them to the wall without them falling off?

Cheers

Fat-boy-fat

Topeak bike storage thingymy. It’s a big extendable pole that braces between the ceiling and floor. You can get three bikes stacked per pole.

igm

Long rawl plugs – they do them for fixing door frames up and beyond 200mm – and a wooden plinth on the wall to spread the weight if necessary.

Or find the batons behind the plaster board and wood screws into that.

andyl
    Free Member

Find the battens would be my first choice or get some proper plasterboard type fixings.

neilwheel
    Free Member

As above, find the studs or battens ideally. They should be spaced at either 400mm or 600mm, so once you have found one you know where to look for the next.

If you need to fix into plasterboard, use Spit Driva or similar with a metal body, not plastic. They all state self drilling but work best with a pilot hole, don’t over tighten.

jsinglet

For anyone else who comes across this, I found the batons using some neodymium magnets, they located the screws/nails where the plasterboard was attached. I then screwed some more batons across them and attached the bike hooks to these, so I could locate the hooks where I needed them. Nothing has fallen down yet!

trail_rat
    Free Member

for those without magnets – knocking also works.

knock the board – sounds hollow – no baton … sounds solid – baton

jsinglet

Knocking didn’t work so well, even when I knew where the batons were knocking didn’t sound different. This may have been due to it being a garage conversion so the gap behind the plasterboard was larger than a normal partition wall.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Bike storage’ is closed to new replies.