Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Bike storage
  • EdwardH

The garage is almost complete in its conversion from a dark cave to new bright bike cave/workshop. I’ll be storing the bikes vertically via either the front or rear wheel with gear-hook off-the-wall hook mounts.

If held by the front wheel this would place the fork lowers above the crown, in my head this would cause the oil in the folk to want to pool towards the top of the fork. I was thinking to mount my hard tail and full sus by the rear wheel to stop this.
    Has anyone had issues with their suspension when storing vertically, front wheel up?

bentudder

Not a problem for me and hasn’t been for the three years I’ve exclusively stored my bikes front wheel up in the current bike racking I’ve built.
    If you’re worried, a minute or so of it resting on its wheels will sort it out, and if you’ve got a leak at the top of the fork, better to find a pool of oil when you get your bike out than making the discovery riding it at the bottom of a jump or drop.

fadda

I’ve stored my bikes this way for at least 10 years with never a problem.

I think there’s even an argument that it’s beneficial for some of the seals/foam rings to be doused/soaked in the oil…?

nwmlarge
    Free Member

No issues with this

EdwardH

Thanks for the replies. Front wheel it is.

duncancallum

Lubes the foam rings miles better

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s a myth, folk have said for years it causes issues with brakes and forks, nonsense.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Bike storage’ is closed to new replies.