• This topic has 17 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by br.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Bike stolen whilst in for service at bike shop
  • leedsxc
    Free Member

Wondering what are the responsibilites of a bike shop if your bike is stolen whilst in for servicing?

Heard from a friend out on a group ride today that had put his bike in for service at his local bike shop and was stolen from the shop. The bike was stolen whilst the shop was open due to an open door/unobservant staff. The shops staff initial move was to ask him to claim on his house insurance(whish he refused to do). I worry about my bike being stolen from my home and would assume that my bike is in safe hands whilst in for servcing at a shop.

Rich

woody21
    Free Member

Hasn’t the shop got a duty of care?

project
    Free Member

The shop should pay out and suspend the staff responsible, but then without staff they couldnt function.

mjsmke

Shop should claim on their insurance.

monksie
    Free Member

Clearly the bike shop have to replace the bike, not the customer via his insurance. A bit obvious really.

Made up story, I reckon.

Suspend the staff? Don’t be daft!

crazy-legs

Shop is liable.
    You’re entrusting your bike to a (supposedly secure) environment, if it gets damaged or stolen while it’s in their care, they’re obliged to pick up the bill for it (or claim on their insurance).

We had a similar incident at another branch of a bike shop I used to work at – the branches all got a memo telling staff that just booking the bike in for a service wasn’t good enough, it then needed taking to the workshop and securing there. (at busy times staff were prone to just booking the bike in then leaving it on the shop floor while serving the next customer, they’d take the bike to the workshop later when it was less busy; that practice got stopped).

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Lbs types more qualified to comment but I’d have thought they would be liable and have such an eventuality covered in their insurance. Obviously they’d rather not make a claim…

Edit- like crazy legs, posted whilst I was typing….

In criminal law they are said to have a proprietary interest in the bike (from financial stake as a result of service costs/parts), its a police training school type scenario for theft act, so regardless of any duty of care to the original owner I’d expect them to be insured for their own loss (if they’d just fitted 800 quid forks would they expect your mate or his house insurance to pay for them?).

singletrackmind

When do the kidz go back to school? Sept 3rd?

Liftman

Newish member and first post, suspicious cat is suspicious 😕

bencooper
    Free Member

My insurance covers customer bikes – I’d sort it out and claim off my insurance, no question.

jamj1974

Liftman – Member
    Newish member and first post, suspicious cat is suspicious
    POSTED 5 MINUTES AGO #

Why?

tonyg2003

Yep bike shop liable. Mates bike was nicked in a ram raid on LBS. Proper nice build too. XTR, Chris King etc… LBS replaced it part for part. They took a fair loss on their part too.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Surely they have to have insurance to cover them for such eventualities, hence why LBS’s are so expensive.

glupton1976
    Free Member

If you’d take your car to a garage to get serviced and it was stolen while it was at the garage – whose insurance would you expect to claim off?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

The garages. Are you suggesting there is a difference or we’re missing something?

julianwilson
    Free Member

glupton1976 – Member

If you’d take your car to a garage to get serviced and it was stolen while it was at the garage – whose insurance would you expect to claim off?

Comparing apples with pears ^^

Imagine your ‘bike-in-for-repair’ is a sewing machine, laptop or armchair in need of re-uphosltering, not a motor vehicle with its own entirely separate insurance regulations and policies/brokers/underwriters.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The example is the same [ as are yours] you give your property to someone to perform a service on it namely repair
    It was nicked from them so their problem morally and legally whether a car, a chair or a laptop etc

br
    Free Member

My thought exactly.

Have you a receipt to say the LBS had your bike?

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/consumer_w/consumer_cars_and_other_vehicles_e/cars_garage_repairs_and_services_e/your_vehicle_is_lost_stolen_or_damaged_at_the_garage.htm

‘Due care and attention’?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Bike stolen whilst in for service at bike shop’ is closed to new replies.