Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Bike stolen – Leeds city centre
  • meandyuk

Road bike stolen on Fri 8th December from my work place near the Leeds Arena.

Stolen from a (un)secure bike store under work – D locked to a sheffield stand which was unbolted from the floor.

Pic here

Please keep an eye out – It’s a 2012/2013 Scott CR1 bike and has a Paris-Roubaix sportive route sticker on the top tube which is quite distinctive.

Cheers.
    Andy

blader1611
    Free Member

I am based in Leeds and also have a cr1 so as a kindred spirit i shall keep my beady eyes out for it. I dont see too many of that colour combo out either so hopefully it might stand out. Have you trawled the usual websites?

tomhoward

Will keep an eye out, and mention it to bike shop mates to do the same (Leeds/Morley)

Daffy

Do you have any recourse with the council/work as it was a failure of the provided infrastructure, not your use of it, which allowed your bike to be stolen?

ton

bugger.
    ishall keep em peeled when out and about.

newrobdob
    Free Member

I really hope Ton finds the thief, they won’t be doing it again if he does. 😉

On the lookout too.

meandyuk

Thanks all. I’ve tried looking on gumtree & ebay and can’t see anything yet.

Annoying that they were able to get it even though it was locked up. My work do have signs up saying it is left at your own risk etc, so I doubt there’s much they will do. I guess my lesson learnt is to lock it through the wheel+frame as the guy was able to ride it off (with my D-lock still attached!)

Cheers

blader1611
    Free Member

Is there a reason why you only put the d lock on the frame instead of wheels+frame? I assumed everyone did wheels+frame just to stop toe rags nicking wheels with quick release, i always did for that reason and not to stop them riding off with my bike.
    Have you looked on Pinkbike?

meandyuk

Rookie mistake I guess – plus i’d assumed it was in a secure lockup, secured to an immovable object!

Will try pinkbike cheers.

blader1611
    Free Member

sounds like they went to great lengths to get your bike, do you think it was targeted or are the bikes visible to general public? My bike was stolen from Josephs Well in Leeds several years ago and it was clearly pre-meditated as the bikes arent visible and mine was the only one taken even though i had a few locks on it.

hardtailonly

Mrs Hardtailonly had her PX London Road nicked from Leeds Centre a few weeks back 🙁

It’s a horrible feeling, coming back to find (in her case) just a cut cable lock. The aftermath (and a bit of background reading I did after the event, including this https://www.google.co.uk/amp/amp.timeinc.net/cyclingweekly/news/latest-news/bike-thief-reveals-tricks-trade-stunningly-candid-interview-225130%3fsource=dam
    left me feeling even more pessimistic about bike safety …

All you can do, really, is use the best D-lock (or locks) you can/are prepared to afford, and lock to something properly secure and robust … and have good insurance!

Insurance in our case were excellent (underwritten by AXA), although with a bike claim and a damaged garage door claim in the last year, the renewal notice has the coming year premium at almost double last year’s … 🙁

The police seem to have been quite active in this case, had apparently picked up a couple of lads for something else who are ‘known’ to be light-fingered when it comes to bikes, and one of them is on a CCTV still image near the wife’s bike … Last we heard, however, CCTV didn’t show them actually committing a crime …

dotdotdot
    Free Member

You can get android phones for about forty quid that would run one of those apps that texts or calls a number when motion is detected. Then sew in a hidden pocket in a frame bag and leave it there.

That is if you wanted to track and potentially collar a thief. Not encouraging vigilante behaviour…plus you may lose the phone or phone and bike…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Bike stolen – Leeds city centre’ is closed to new replies.