Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Bike stolen in Edinburgh
  • Kunstler

Last night someone got into our stair (off Easter Road) and stole my bike that was locked to the iron banister. It wasn’t a great bike but it was my only bike and although I don’t expect to see it again here’s some nice photos with it in case anyone else does:

Losing it is a bit of toughie as it’s not insured and I can’t afford to replace it right now. I guess I just want to lament a bit. It was a cheap bike that had lots of love and abuse over the seven years I’ve owned it. I’ve been to some wonderful places on it and a few that know me well enough know that for a while last year being able to get out to the hills everyday (it was literally everyday) was the only thing that kept me going. I’ve ridden 5000 miles in the last year on it. It’s bagged a few munros. I work in outreach and I cycle everywhere, in all conditions. My sense of scale of the city I live in is measured by how fast I can cycle around it. It’s a really nice scale and there’s never a wasted journey.
    I’m still a bit stunned to be without it. I will replace it eventually and I’m lucky that I have a good friend who is looking at assembling some bits and pieces from his cupboard to make something to tide me over. Today I’m just reflecting on how the bicycle is quite a big thing in my life.

AlasdairMc

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Got a 2006 Rockhopper sitting in my garage you can have to get you back riding. Currently a singlespeed, the only part of it I want to keep are the Mary bars and it might need a new chain. Drop me an email (in profile) if you want it.

Edit – I’m in Edinburgh btw.

ojom
    Free Member

I’ll chuck you a chain for it FOC Alasdair to get it rideable for OP.

rickmeister

I hate it when stuff like this, with history and memories get nicked. Seven years on your great bike (yes… it was to you…), is a lot of fun, adventure and good times….

Will keep my eyes out for it, keep checking all the usual places…. good luck getting it back…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Generous offer from Alisdair – my depleted parts box is available if any other bits needed

AlasdairMc

Thanks for that Mark. I’ll give it a quick once over and if it does actually need a chain I’ll let you know.

stanfree
    Free Member

Thats shite news Kunstler worth getting in touch with Soulcycles to see if they try and sell It to them . Or obviously keep an eye on gumtree.

marti
    Free Member

Thats rubbish news.
    Ive got some old Easton monkey bars that I was about to through out, your welcome to them if it helps get that rockhopper on the road. I’m also in Edinburgh. Will keep an eye out for your giant as well.

sas78

Lost my seven year old XTC in January to thieves, it wasn’t glamourous either but I loved her. Can feel your pain mate, make sure you give the police a full spec and photos, they’re running a campaign on stolen bikes, hope you get it back.

Kunstler

Wow, I’m blown away. Really. Alasdair that’s an incredible offer. I’ll email you. And thanks tbc and everyone else. I actually can’t find the words…

lockrobnkel
    Free Member

sorry to hear your loss, i’ve a pair of dmr v8 pedals or a pair of shimano clip ins you can have if that is your persuasion. Let me know if you need a pair of them and i’ll send them on up to you. 🙂

bigG
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of boxes full of bits n pieces. Mechs, shifters, bars, stems etc, none of them bling enough that I’d sell but since I’m based fairly close to Edinburgh you’re welcome to any of them if you need to get a bike running.

G

AlasdairMc

Kunstler – ygm

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

i hope you get your bike back!

some times STW comes up trumps.

i dont have any MTB parts i can donate.

monsteryeti
    Free Member

I’m welling up. Love the STW massive. This is really what a community of like minded individuals should be like.

GREAT WORK EVERYONE

(except the XXXX who took your Giant, he can XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX)

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Feckers!

Does it still that that distinctive tyre combo on? I’ll keep an eye out.

If you / Alasdair need anything else drop me a line.

robhughes
    Free Member

Rear xt mech here if you want to un single speed it.
    Just mail me.It,s yours…Addy in profile. 🙂

Kunstler

You’re welling up? I’m in pieces.

I can’t quite believe it. Absolutely floored.

Alasdair just brought me his rockhopper. Really, really can’t find the words. What a day.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Got some wheels you can have for pennies and a few other spare bits and tyres that you can have for nowt. Saves me the arse ache of ebaying them.
    In fact, got loads of spares that you can have for nowt if needed. Shifters, stem, bars, grips, crank, cassette, tyres, tubes, discs, saddle…think that’s it!

Paul, also Easter road!

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

I have a set of Bonty King Earl riser bars you can have for owt, just mail me if interested.

bigjim

got a 2007 large giant trance frame here in Edinburgh I need to get rid of at some point, I don’t think it is worth much, something to bear in mind if you are thinking of getting a new bike together anyway.

Also got some old riser bars and non fancy stems I keep meaning to give to the bike station if you fancy them.

Diane
    Free Member

Wow – was gutted to read the beginning of this post as I know what it means to you. So glad the mtb community has come good for you!

Alasdair – if anyone deserves a bike Kunstler does – well done you!

AlasdairMc

I’m just glad the bike went to a good home – it was my first mountain bike of me rediscovering biking as an adult so it would have been a shame to see it go to waste.

As it stands, it’s in mostly workable nick. Brakes could do with a bleed and new pads, and the chain could perhaps be swapped as I had to split it earlier as it was jammed between the cranks and BB. Everything else should be alright but would benefit from some lubrication.

If you can’t get the forks alive again, I’ve got the original forks sitting unused that you could swap onto it – they’re cheap coil Rockshox so probably won’t have seized up.

I also forgot to mention that if you’re putting gears on it you’ll need a new chainring as the steel one is too thick for a 9spd chain.

Hope you enjoy it!!

Kunstler

I can’t thank you enough Alasdair. It’s awesome.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Wow Alasdair – proper well done!

And honestly – if there’s anything needs replaced – drop me a line.

We should have a “Britians got Talent” category for “good guys” – I think you’d win!

bruneep

Plenty of bits here I can give if required. Post up if you need anything.

B

rickmeister

Kunstler,

F&r mechs, bars/stems, saddle, seatposts and a rummage in me bits box if you need anything else.. Im in Musselburgh.

Keep your eyes open in Cash Converters etc etc… take a few pics around to places it may get palmed off to…

dirtdiggler
    Free Member

I’m in Fife so will keep my eyes peeled, terrible feeling when you realise it’s gone.

I’ve also got bars, stems, posts, seats etc kicking about so just post what’s needed.

Hope you get old faithful back though…

Albanach
    Free Member

I’ve got a few bits and bobs as well if you need anything (front mech, Avid Juicy 3s, lock on grips and a few other bits in the spares box)

email in profile

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

with all the love here it might be a good time to mention the The Bike Station.

Really helped me out in the past and they can make use of pretty much anything!

pass it on

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I have a disc front wheel, if you need it, I’m near Kirkcaldy, if you are coming over to the race tomorrow night, I could bring it down, otherwise we could try and find some way of getting it over to you. I have a square taper bb too.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Double post, I only have one of each.

bajsyckel

Will mention it to others and keep an eye out myself Kunstler. Post up on here if you are in need of any specific bits and pieces, like others I have stuff in my spares box that could tide you over a while if you need to sort anything on Alasdair’s bike.

Oh- and the most inspiring stolen bikes photos I’ve seen (they look familiar- where are they?), even a run of the mill bike is special when it offers you moments in those kinds of places.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve also got a pile of spare parts I can kick in with to help get you going again (I’m also in Edinburgh). Definitely got wheels, forks, bars, stems etc. Not sure about a frame – what height are you?

khani
    Free Member

It’s nice when people are nice… 😀 top thread…

Dylan08
    Free Member

Sorry to hear of you’re loss, have a couple of half worn folding schwalbe’s sat in my spares box if they’re any use to get you … erm … rolling! 🙂

julesf7
    Free Member

If the Rockhopper is not the right frame size for you, then let me know since I have a Merlin Malt 2 in 19″ or a Malt 1 in 17″ sitting spare in the garage. You would be welcome to eiteher if they’d prove useful – located just outside Edinburgh

bobbyatwork
    Free Member

spend a bit of time hawking a photo round the shops in edinburgh….theyre all loosley linked and it may turn up being sold…usual places are the s/hand shops etc.and google alerts can be good also…never know it may just turn up!

Kunstler

I’m on my day off today and feeling rather groggy after catching up on rest after missing an entire night’s sleep on Saturday. Amazing the difference in how I feel today from this time yesterday.

I am really overwhelmed and inspired by the responses in this thread. Thank you all.

As regards to things for the bike. Well I need to fit flats as I tried spds a few years ago but my amazing ongoing forgetfulness at junctions meant that I was still suffering bruises and embarrassment even after two weeks of trying them out.

As much as I’d love to give singlespeeding a go, I think I might be a bit slow and get a bit too sweaty between work appointments. Alasdair has given me everything for rear shifting just need to to sort out the front and I’ll replace the Mary bars – seems very stretched not sure if its the bars, long stem or I’m shrinking.

You are good, good people STW.

bajsyckel: the photos were taken on a trip to Kinlochleven at the end of March. The first is at the top of the Devil’s Staircase looking to Buchaille Etive Mor.
    The second is above Mamore Lodge (Kinlochleven) if you go left out of the picture you follow the pipeline to Blackwater Dam and the Ciaran descent and go right from the photo towards Loch Eilde Mor and where I went that day: the munros of Sgurr Eilde Mor and Binnein Beag.
    The last photo is looking to Bhein a’Bheithir (Balachulish) from a path around Glen Coe Lochan.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Kunstler. I’ at the top of Easter road an I’m off work today give me a bell and I’ll see if I’ve got anything that you can use.
    077 6 5244 878
    Edit, definitely got flatties and got some stem combos to try too

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Bike stolen in Edinburgh’ is closed to new replies.