Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Bike stolen from boot of car… ignorant question…
  • sheck

Car or house insurance?

Too depressed to rant and rave, sorry

wiggles
    Free Member

Car insurance doesn’t usually cover for more than a few hundred quid, home insurance might if it is a named item insured away from home.

spooky_b329

Home insurance often stipulates it must be in a locked/covered compartment, so if hidden under a parcel shelf you might be in with a (slim) chance.

Junkyard
    Free Member

my home insurance says bikes not insured if in a car

Car insurance almost never covers what is in the car unless its specified – say tools in a traders van for example

Very sorry to be the one saying this

mcwyc
    Free Member

My house insurance covered me when my bike was stolen. Small print said insurance is valid in the event of forced entry and up to a particular value. In reality they didn’t ask/consider any of this. I obviously reported it to the police and had a crime ref no.

funkmasterp

Sorry OP – There are some proper bastards out there. Hope you get something sorted with one of the insurers

wiggles
    Free Member

If they just smashed a window and didnt cause major damage, tell the (car) insurance company a stone was flicked up by a passing vehicle and smashed it…

That way it just counts as a windscreen claim and not theft so will have much less (if any) effect on future policy prices, if you report as theft they will probably give you naff all for you bike and then charge you for the privilege in future.

jaylittle
    Free Member

Any further details so we can keep our eyes peeled, you never know!

iain1775
    Free Member

If they just smashed a window and didnt cause major damage, tell the (car) insurance company a stone was flicked up by a passing vehicle and smashed it…

That way it just counts as a windscreen claim and not theft so will have much less (if any) effect on future policy prices, if you report as theft they will probably give you naff all for you bike and then charge you for the privilege in future.

But if he then claims on house insurance for the bike theft that would likely be classed as insurance fraud, and given the circumstances (claiming on house insurance for theft from a car) is quite likely the two companies would talk to each other to ensure there isn’t another claim for the same incident

rob2
    Free Member

Nick – that’s shite. which bike? In reading?

wiggles
    Free Member

But if he then claims on house insurance for the bike theft that would likely be classed as insurance fraud, and given the circumstances (claiming on house insurance for theft from a car) is quite likely the two companies would talk to each other to ensure there isn’t another claim for the same incident

That was based on not being able to claim anything from either

sheck

Mason Definition, black and purple, ultegra hydro build

Stolen from Great Northern NCP in Manchester in middle of day

Loooks like a bomb’s gone off in my boot! Car undriveable., and been towed away for repair… awaiting hire car arrival

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Bike stolen from boot of car… ignorant question…’ is closed to new replies.