Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Bike Stand currently being sold at Aldi
  • grannyjone
    Free Member

I noticed there is a Bike Stand currently being sold at Aldi for £25, anyone know how good it is ? Is it solid when holding up a mountain bike & easy to move when required ? Is it worth paying more for something better or does it do the job flawlessly ?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

It’s relatively heavy, and not the best, but for £25 it’s a bargain and for home use fine

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Is it the clamp type? If so I’ve got one and it is really good. Sturdy, adjustable, pretty good quality. It works fine. There are only two minor things that isn’t so hot with it. The first is the big knob on the clamp has a wing nut on the end of it, so when you’re trying to hold your bike with one hand and close the clamp with the other by turning the clamp knob the wing nut just rotates. A captive nut set up should have been used. The second is that on the actual clamp jaws itself, there are plastic caps on the end. When you’re clamping on a seat post sometimes the bike can slide down a bit and pull the plastic caps off. Both minor and fixable issues, but other than that its only a bike stand and does the job fine.

grannyjone
    Free Member

It’s only for home use. If it does the job well then I’ll get it. It’s just that about 6 years ago I bought one from somewhere else (online) for £30 and it was awful. Unstable, wouldn’t fold away (so difficult to move) & the clamp wasn’t very good. I’m just hoping not to repeat the same mistake.

craig24
    Free Member

Got a link? Can’t see it on the website.

doubledunter
    Free Member

I got one last year, not to bad for the money and ok for home use the clamp is absolute rubbish imo 😐

samunkim
    Free Member

On mine, I had to put 2 x splint pins through the
    very bottom of the central pole ( to stop the leg-holder ring dropping right off)
    and the jaws assembly (to hold it on the pole)

Still good value though

mindmap3
    Free Member

Had one and it was OK, but not great. Mine didn’t last that long though.

The clamp is pretty poor – I found that the ends flexed and the bike wobbled and as mentioned doing the clamp up is a pain.

kimbers

Hijack

anyone used their compressor?

its on at 30quid in my local store
    http://offers.kd2.org/en/gb/aldi/pHQU/

cheers

grannyjone
    Free Member

So it’s not really that good then ? Is there a better alternative, without paying about twice as much ?

cdoc
    Free Member

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/bike-tool-aluminium-workstand/?currency=GBP&gclid=CP74hriPvs4CFYU_Gwod750MEw

The bikehand ones are better and can be found all over the place under different names, often on sale too. I think mine was about forty quid and has lasted for years.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

I’ve got the same stand as the Aldi one (although I got it somewhere else).

1. It works (It holds your bike securely off the ground)
    2. It may not have some features of more expensive models but I don’t know what those features are so I don’t miss them.
    3. The benefit of “got a bike stand” over “not got a bike stand” is worth £25.

chakaping
    Free Member

anyone used their compressor?

its on at 30quid in my local store

It has no reservoir/air tank so won’t help with tubeless, if that was your plan?

spendtoomuch
    Free Member

I have the compressor listed above. It has been pretty good at getting tyre set up tubeless. It is bloody loud though. The cats go running as soon as I switch it on!!

strawdog
    Free Member

I also have the compressor in the pic above bought it to setup tubeless and its works for all tyres ive tried – it must have a small res built into it as you can feel the air pressure drop off if you hold the trigger down for more than 5 secs.

Although this will usually give you enough airflow to seat most tyres…and if not you can pulse the trigger off and on to keep the airflow going until they seat,

As the other guy has said they are VERY loud and might upset the neighbours if used indoors!

grannyjone
    Free Member

I’ve missed the sale of the stand at Aldi can anyone recommend an alternative thats just as good?

thecaptain
    Free Member

There are lots on Amazon/eBay.

Tracey

Had the compressor for a couple of years. Its never failed to pop a tyre on.

grannyjone
    Free Member

Yes but I don’t know if those stands are crap.as someone who has bought a stand that was an absolute pile of turd for £30 I don’t want to repeat the same mistake

ads678

I’ve had the stand in that ribble cycles link for a few years now and it’s great.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Bike Stand currently being sold at Aldi’ is closed to new replies.