Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Bike skills in Scotland
  • vorlich
    Free Member

Anyone got any recommendations for one to one tuition, probably at Glentress, maybe Cairngorms?

Glenmore Lodge are great and I had some great Winter Skills tuition off them a few years back, but only do groups I think…

druidh
    Free Member
    Northwind

I’ve not been with Ridelines but they’re good chaps.

Dirtschool are the other obvious one… Not entirely sure I’d recommend the “schools”- good coaching but slightly let down by group management problems, 6 on 1 is a big group at best and, well, it wasn’t at best. Not terrible, but not as good as I felt it ought to have been.

But my one-to-one session with Andy was superb. Expensive, but pound for pound much better.

matt_outandabout

Jules Fincham ex/present Glenmore, ace coach and all round nice chap:

http://cyclewildscotland.co.uk/about.htm

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Been with Dirtschool twice. Well worth it. In groups both times. Jules is a top guy too.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

A chap I know has recently set up training cycleskool he is called. you can find him on facebook. edinburgh based

stabilizers

The Jedi loves Glentress…
    Contact him and give him the excuse for a visit.
    http://www.ukbikeskills.co.uk

doug_basqueMTB.com

Depends a bit what level you ride at I think. Jules is a top guy and I can rate his training courses but I’ve not been on one of his skills days. Dirt School were ace the twice I went with them. That was with Chris both times. Learned a lot. More than I thought I did!

finmac
    Free Member

MTB Ride Guide

Based in Fort William
    Coaching from downhill World Masters champ Alistair MacLennan and record breaking triathlete and Orange/MTBCut rider Hannah Barnes……nuff said. Been thinking about it myself.

Stu_N

Done a couple of small group things with Dirtschool (Andy Barlow) – was arranged with a few mates rather than “randoms” which was ideal. He got me over my fear of flying at one and went a long way to sorting out my cornering technique at the other. Really recommend him.

vorlich
    Free Member

So, those who have done them. Do you turn up and say ‘I want to improve X, Y and Z’ or is it more a case of they look at you ride and then tell you where you need to improve? Or both?

jedi

cheers for the recommend stabilizers 🙂

rickmeister

Vorlich, 1:1 with Andy of Ridelines… Turned up and said I want to work on X + Y, he watched me ride then really focussed on X+Y with great results.

defaultslipper
    Free Member

Clive Forth is based at Mabie but runs mtbskills. Not sure what area he covers but I’m sure he would be able to help sort something out. Never had a lesson with him but ridden with him a couple of times and he knows how to ride, we’ve talked about how he does his lessons and he definitely considers a lot of different angles to improve your riding, its not just about riding the bike!

Website is http://www.mtbskills.co.uk/mtbskills/home.html gives you an idea of what he would usually cover. I don’t know whether he does one to one but give him a shout

Stu_N

Vorlich – one was “ride singletrack faster” which really came down to cornering technique. We basically did some riding with Andy watching us, spent maybe half the session doing drills on forest road to learn about weight distribution and grip – then half on one section of GT Blue sessioning corners and then flowing 2 or 3 together. Sounds a bit rubbish when I put it like that, but it was really interesting and changed my way of thinking about bike handling. I still ain’t fast, but I am faster and more controlled.

#2 we said “teach us to jump”. Started with manuals, then learning to land, then how to take off. Then put it all together. Then did some drops. Started off from a point I might awkwardly getting airborne and coming back to earth with the grace of food aid falling out the back of a Hercules. Ended up with an idea of technique and confidence to tackle small doubles.

Best investment EVER.

Prophet2
    Free Member

Another shout for Andy at Ridelines. Top notch guy who really knows what he is talking about, and most importantly, can explain everything in such a way even an idiot like me can understand.

vorlich
    Free Member

Thanks all some good info here. I’m gonna work on my fitness over winter and organise something for early next year.

I suppose one of the big things for me is confidence. I can ride known trails fairly well when I’m ‘in the zone’, but the difficulties lie in tackling unknown trails – having the confidence to tackle 95% of whatever the trail throws up would be great, rather than hitting the brakes at dubious looking obstacles and losing the momentum needed to clear them safely…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Bike skills in Scotland’ is closed to new replies.