Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Bike skills course suggestions please
  • eddiebaby
    Free Member

Just ordered my first off road bike (29 hardtail) and would like a bit of technique advice.
    I’m middle aged and ride around 3500miles of commuting on my hybrid each year. Reasonably fit and vaguely coordinated I feel a course of some kind would be kinda cool.
    Any suggestions of centres? Maybe a 3 day or so course. Ideally within 20 miles or so of a rail station as I’d be cycling there.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Go see Jedi. UK Bike Skills.

Lester
    Free Member

+ 1 for Jedi

check the coaching blogs on uk bike skills, i was there on 7th Nov
    everyone is really happy with Jedi
    not sure when his next days are free though

matt_outandabout

Where do you live?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Oxford but would make a decent break of it so travel isn’t a deal breaker.

wonderchump
    Free Member

Ed Oxley in West Yorks – Great guy – Great location – Hebden Bridge trails are fantastic + he uses Gisburn Forest too.

http://www.greatrock.co.uk

You won’t regret it.

Mackem

Might be a good idea to ride the mtb for a few months first. Just to get used to the bike and used to proper off-road stuff rather than jump straight into a skills course.

This is just my initial thought, somebody else might point out some very good reasons that this is a load of crap.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Ta for all the advice. Tbh i won’t be doing anything until the spring. I just need to plan and book. The bike arrives mid December so it will be getting wet before I go anywhere for a course.
    Is it sad to be so excited about a new toy?

Mackem

..course it isnt sad to be excited. I love the whole thing of scouring the bike reviews and websites then the wait and when it finally arrives…

Onzadog
    Free Member

Good idea to plan now if you want to see Jedi. He does get booked up early and for good reason. Believe the hype!

I’ve been on courses with both ukbikeskill and great-rock. Ed at great-rock is good and you’ll learn plenty but Jedi/Tony/ukbikeskills is where I go every year and I’m pretty much slap bang in the middle between the two of them.

You’ll also not need a two or three day course with Jedi. Have a day, one to one, let him play about inside your head and then go get another dose in 6 months.

There are some great little operations around most forestry commission sites but there’s also some bad ones. The problem is, even these get good reviews because it’s impossible to compare one coaching session.

MartynS

Ukbikeskills with Jedi as everyone has said is remarkable, we have a course to finish with him, we got snowed off first time round!!
    Girlfriend had a session with a new coaching company today, AllianceMtb based at sherwood pines.
    She’s still buzzing from it, really learnt a lot.

muddyfool

Jedi also does public skills courses, which usually don’t need to be booked as far in advance. They’re a good day out and you’ll still learn plenty (well, I did). Then go back for a 1–1 a bit later when the ‘basics’ have sunk in – that’s my plan anyway! 🙂

maxtorque

I’d recommend if possible making your first jedi experience a shared one! Going with another riding friend helps take the pressure off, and on your first visit there will be plenty of time for you to master the oh so important basics. Then, go 1:1 for your next visit when you will have a much better idea where your skills (or lack of) lie!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Thanks. Lots of stuff to consider there. 🙂

number18
    Free Member

wonderchump – Member
    Ed Oxley in West Yorks – Great guy – Great location – Hebden Bridge trails are fantastic + he uses Gisburn Forest too.

http://www.greatrock.co.uk

You won’t regret it.

Agreed, spent a day with Ed in August and was definitely worth it.

arcing
    Free Member

I’ve used Singletrack School for a couple of days tuition, and it’s been a great investment. The two teachers I’ve had gave been great and I’ve come away from both days with tangible skill improvement and much moror confidence. You could get to Holmbury in an hour and a bit.

Highly recommended

iolo
    Free Member

Go and get some training at antur stiniog

gordimhor

Dirtschool are excellent if you can be bothered to come to Edinburgh.

jedi

thanks for the kind words guys 🙂

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

+1 for Great Rock. Choose a Gisburn weekender and book a couple of nights digs around the Trough somewhere and you’ll have yourself a top weekend! Esp for a southerner!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Bike skills course suggestions please’ is closed to new replies.