Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Bike size for XC riding
  • wheely
    Free Member

Being 5’10” I’m right on the medium-to-large crossover point for most bike frame sizes. My cannondale trigger 2 is a medium and I love its size. I’m now thinking of buying an additional (lighter) bike for xc racing – most likely a 29er. What advantages, if any, for going for either a large or medium frame. I’m thinking perhaps the xc bike should be a large. But then again is that more mass of frame weight if I don’t really need it ????

jonba
    Free Member

It is normally easier to size up a bit than size down with things like post and stem choice,

In general within a given brand the same size bike will be suitable for different disciplines. Geometry on XC bikes will be adjusted for the type of riding compared to a downhill bike. So a M will fit for both. Switching between brands is trickier.

It also depends on your proportions I have a short body and long legs so prefer the smaller frame of M/L and run a bit more post but have less reach.

superstu
    Free Member

Completely impossible to answer as depends on the brand.

Some brands medium frames will feel/be bigger than other companies large frames. Find the bike you like then get the size that suits, if you’re in between then sit on both before you decide.

Find one that fits and forget about any impact in weight.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Kryton57

It still needs to fit you properly.

The main difference in racing – and it’s probably a matter of opinion – is you’ll want your saddle higher for maximum power output (assuming you ride with it lower than a roadie would) and possibly a longer & lower stem to get your head down as it.

Use the 109% rule of inside leg between pedal spindle and top of saddle to give you a non personalised representation.

adsh
    Free Member

Frame weight is neither here nor there. Modern way of sizing is to look at reach and ETT with a shorter stem and then seat tube.

XC bike fit is generally quite long with lots of weight over the front wheel.

You are in the lucky position of being a Turner Large – I’d have a Czar if I was your size.

canopy
    Free Member

I’d have thought at 5’10 you’d need a large. i’m 5’7 on a medium and wonder if a large would suit..

ferrals
    Free Member

Whereas I’m 5’7 and on a medium but was not far off being on a small!

adsh
    Free Member

^^But a Whyte 29C Medium has a short seat tube and a 627mm ETT ie is a Large.

Find out/measure the dimension of the ‘dale you like. Factor in stem length and bar width and check geo tables of intended xc 29er. Test if you can.

chakaping
    Free Member

5ft 8in on a large XC bike here.

onandon
    Free Member

You need to consider leg length, torso and arm length instead of just an over all 5,10 height.
    I’m also 5,10 but with a 34 inside leg and shorter arms. I also ride a medium Cannondale habit and scalpel but I have some other bikes are small and others are large.
    You need to get yourself on one of them or really look at the numbers to see if they will work.

I need lots of seatpost and sometimes quite a few spacers to get the right position. Sometimes the bike looks stupid but feels good 🙁 .

wheely
    Free Member

Ended up with a large Scalpel that fits like a glove 😉

jonnyrockymountain

I’m 5’8 1/2″ with 30″ inside leg and these 2 mediums fit me fine

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Bike size for XC riding’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts