Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Bike shops. Is it possible to….
  • binners

…walk into one, pick up exactly what it is you came in for, and nothing else, go to the counter, pay for it, then walk out?

Has anyone ever actually achieved this? Does anyone possess that kind of steely resolve to ignore the shiny things? I’ve heard rumour of it being done, but I think its an urban myth.

I normally come out with a load of (decidedly non-essential) stuff I most certainly didn’t go in for, yet get home and realise I’ve forgotten to get the (essential) bit I actually need.

I’ve got to call in at Leisure Lakes on the way home. Mrs Binners has already expressed her concern

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Try working in one-it’s a nightmare! Wages are often spent before I’ve even got out of the door on a friday afternoon

weeksy

I never go in one…. it’s what the internet is for.

wwaswas

ignore the visual part of the video

Consequences is what it’s all about…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilZPZawbw5w[/video]

theotherjonv

Yes, absolutely. You just need a plan and discipline.

I was riding straight after work last week, had packed everything in the car, and then realised i had forgotten my water bottle from the fridge. With a plan, i went into the LBS in town, picked up a new bottle, went to the counter and paid for it*. Simples.

* I say ‘it’, I actually bought a powerlink too, but that was to get the value above a fiver so i could put it on a card instead of nipping down the road to the bank too. Does that make it a fail?

binners

Whatever the reason, you bought something you didn’t need, thus proving my point that its technically impossible 😉

martinhutch

I went into the shiny new one in town on its opening day last week, realised it wasn’t for the likes of me, and left after a few minutes emptyhanded.

It appeared to have two staff to every customer though, so they must be expecting to do something right.

hora
    Free Member

I’ve been into Leisure Lakes Bury numerous times and never bought anything. Partly because their price promise isn’t really a promise its ‘we might do’ whereas Evans WILL regardless of how much cheaper it comes out at.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I used to walk out thinking ‘why do they never have the bits I need’ I know walk out thinking ‘ I’m not paying their inflated prices when its cheaper elsewhere ‘

IHN

…walk into one, pick up exactly what it is you came in for, and nothing else, go to the counter, pay for it, then walk out?

In my experience, rarely, but because they often don’t have the thing you want (and indeed, in one case told me that it didn’t exist, so I went home and ordered it on eBay).

hooli

No, my LBS never has what I am looking for in stock 🙁

scaled
    Free Member

another ‘they never have what I need in stock’ here.

Really it’s down tot he fact i’m a mechanical moron. I was chasign round Manchester yesterday looking for a 135×12 rear wheel after cocking up replacing the bearings in my hub (and the freehub is knackered, and the rim is in a pretty sorry state)

scotroutes

Yes. That’s how I do all my shopping. The idea of going into any shop to “browse with an intention to spend” is repugnant to me and simply indicates that some folk have too much money.

PS – I work in a bike shop 🙄

binners

Well thats all well and good, but I don’t think anyone male has ever knowingly entered any retail premises with the intention of having a “browse with an intention to spend”

It just happens by accident. In a ‘oooooooooooo look!!! Shiney things!!!!’ type of way. Because you work in a bike shop, you may have a higher level of immunity.

It has to be said that Leisure Lakes in Bury is one of the worst places on earth for this. I like to nip over to have a look at the Santa Cruz bit, to make my eyes water at the price of them 😯

Drac

Yes easily.

scotroutes

Trust me – it doesn’t work that way. A good month is when I get a payslip rather than an invoice.

Northwind

I do it all the time. It’s the only way to do it if you’re an impulse buyer- shop like a guided missile.

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

Yeah as long as you know exactly what your after, although like a magpie shiny things do tend to catch my eye waaayyy too easily 😆 but it also helps that both my LBS are rubbish and hardly stock anything so I very rarely come out with something I didn’t really need/want*

*delete as appropriate 🙂

tomhoward

Once. In ace cycles in Harrogate. I needed a brake cable. I got one. I didn’t want to touch anything else in there. I know I’m not their target market (lot of bso’s…) but that place is a hole where bikes go to die.

Bregante

If there’s something I want that my local Evans’ has in stock I ring and reserve it. That way I can go straight to the counter, staring at the ground the whole time to avoid making eye contact with the shiny things, pay and then leggit straight out of the door.

Or I take the wife. Or the kids, cos they’ll grass me up to the wife*.

*This doesn’t always work. In which case it costs me more in ice cream to buy their silence.

ricky1
    Free Member

I went to a new bike shop the other week,went in for a pair of gloves and nearly came out with an aqua and magenta nomad…….dangerous.

almightydutch
    Free Member

Havent we missed the point here:

Mrs Binners has already expressed her concern

First mistake right there fella!!!

Secondly, yes quite easily manage it myself. I walk in with eyes closed and specifically ask ‘can I have this please’ then pay with the smallest denomination possible to avoid having change for other goodies. Doesn’t happen very often though. I likes shiny things!!!

funkrodent

In my case you might as well put a Labrador in a kitchen full of raw Salmon (a particularly relevant example as mine raided the Mother-in-Law’s kitchen yesterday and scoffed two fillets before being rumbled. Awkward) and expect it not to inhale everything in sight. I just take a deep breath and head over to the most expensive FS bikes in the place. That way I can scare myslef to the extent that I can normally escape without spending more than a tenner on stuff that I hadn’t come for, don’t need and can’t afford 😕

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Bike shops. Is it possible to….’ is closed to new replies.