Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Bike shop reckon they can't get my BB out…..
  • paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Problem with the BB is that my cranks are Octalink not square taper. The bearings *may* be goosed, but need to check properly when I get it back. Plus the frame’s life is now dictated by the life of those bearings.

andyl
    Free Member

pick up some square taper XT cranks and leave it be. square taper BB bearings should last ages.

when it eventually packs in (if it ever does) try an impact gun.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

It’s a road bike frame….

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

Agree with the above:

The shop don’t want to have to charge you the full whack at whatever labour per hour it is. They also don’t want the hassle of potential damage. I’d be very surprised if they hadn’t probably already tried big-levers/vice or a subtle combination of the two. They’re standard tools for any tricky BB/Lockring/jammed thread combo, as they’re frequent occurance ony many low-end repairs (apollo from the shed after 2 years)
    They’ll have given up when the frame started flexing, with 1 staff pushing the other staff pulling couldn’t do it.

Buy Cheap Get Cheap.

Why worry about resale value when you only paid £78? for a 2nd hand Crabon Fibre frame and Ti BB

If the ‘bay don’t refund then ride it into the ground and get your value for money!

Reluctant
    Free Member

Crab-on fibre frames – always dodgy! 😆

http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/636610

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Why worry about the resale value? Dunno really, it was supposed to be a revenue neutral ‘new’ bike, so I don’t want to outlay any more money on it. I guess if it’s not worth selling I’ll probably never use it and won’t throw it away, so it’ll clutter the garage until the end of time.

It would build up a nice commuter bike I suppose, but given I live above my office, not something I’m after right now.

Frustratingly, there was a brand new Blackhawk frame and forks that went for £250 that didn’t have a BB jammed in it!

Bazz

An airgun with BB tool fitted. Removes 100% of all BB’s known to man

^^^this, i had a frame that the BB had been in for over 10 years, and i did the penetrating oil thing and myself and 2 other bike shops couldn’t budge it, relented in the end and took it to Evans cycles, and despite their faults do have well equipped workshops, airgun had it out in seconds.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Ha ha, might be worth a shot if I decide to take the all or nothing approach, but I’m not sure I’ll find many places with both the Royce tool and an Airgun? Which Evans did you go to?

sugdenr
    Free Member

An airgun with BB tool fitted. Removes 100% of all BB’s known to man

The trick there is the shock loading – a lever builds up the pressure, an airgun hits it with full load pretty much instantly. The shock can break a corrosion bond.

Same effect can be had from smacking the lever with a mallett, you just keep hitting harder and harder until a) you loose your nerve, b) BB turns c) frame breaks.

Get them to tighten the BB a tad, apply more penetrating oil, then next day put on big lever an hit the bas**ard. You took a gamble on the frame so take that gamble all the way 😆

jordie
    Free Member

bring out the big guns LOL

_tom_
    Free Member

yep, ****t it with a hammer til something gives way.

7hz
    Free Member

2 pages on a mountain bike website about a cheap second hand road frame with a stuck BB?

Seriously, £78 won’t buy you a decent set of tyres and inner tubes.

MTFU and **** it with hammer, then throw the whole mess in the bin when you break it, and learn the lesson that second hand components are minefields, money pits, and emotional roller coasters all rolled into one.

finishthat
    Free Member

buy a stronglight chainset , good value and square taper , build bike and see if you like it , worry about it one the bb is worn out, bb usually lasts for ages on road.

Bazz

Which Evans did you go to?

Gatwick warehouse/HQ, it’s near enough my lbs.

beicmynydd
    Free Member

Get a dremmel drill and a few spare hours

NewRetroTom

Had a problem with a Campag bb stuck in a frame. Took it to the lbs, as I didn’t have the right tool for it. They said they couldn’t get it out.
    I took it home and used a saw and a file to cut some flats onto the outer edge of the bb so it would accept a 32mm spanner.
    It came out a treat!

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Bike shop reckon they can't get my BB out…..’ is closed to new replies.