Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Bike shop opening hours, am I missing something?
  • specializedneeds

This used to be my brothers LBS

We certainly made use of the Sunday trading and didn't miss Thursday. So it is possible (for some shops) to be smart with their hours. 9:30 – 6pm would've been even better.

Why should anyone put their personal, social and family life onto some second-tier footing in order to make a few extra quid. When you grow up, you'll realise that there is more to life than the pursuit of money – including enjoying life and good health while you have it.

You are right of course, bringing up millionaire retailers was silly, I wouldn't make those sacrifices, otherwise why aren't I running a successful business! It doesn't have to be more hours though, just smarter hours. But if 9-5 Monday to Sat is the only time experienced, skilled and knowledgeable people can work then so be it. If everyone else is putting family on a second-tier footing then I'll be sure to remind my wife when she finishes her shift and I'll call the policeman and fireman I know too.

druidh
    Free Member

"Your LBS – the 4th emergency service"

Nah – can't see it catching on.

specializedneeds

Apologies to one of my LBS, it seems they announced new opening times this week 10-7pm hooray!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    flyingfox
    Free Member

I'm doing a lot of what's suggested – open most of the time apart from Easter Sunday, asking what customers want, competing with Internet, running niche brands with lots of demo bikes. How clever am I? ??Oh, hang on. My demo bikes come back damaged so it costs a bomb to run them and the profit on bikes is minimal in most cases anyhow. Competing with Internet means I'm selling stuff for less than I bought it, people get to try stuff out so they can buy it on Internet anyhow, I get bikes etc in for folk, they ride them, make them second hand, want them then go AWOL and I open Sundays, when I make £20 turnover. I then close on a Wednesday with my new found wealth. The industry needs a shake-up big time and one small retailer cannot do it on its own. ?I'm poorer than I've ever been but I love it and I work with great folk and get to talk bikes and trails with great, loyal customers regularly. If I could pay a few of my bills from doing it, it would be even better!

bruneep

profit on bikes is minimal

So what would a small retailer expect to make off a £1k bike?

special77
    Free Member

I think if people read my posts properly they'll find that I said many of the shops/industries that open late are 'well known' for having staff that aren't knowledgeable and don't care or where the srevice is poor, I never said everyone that works in these industries or late shifts was useless.

Think Halfords, B&Q, Curry's, Dixon's, etc etc etc

As for needing to shop 24/7 another way to do things is plan your life a little and get things in advance before you need them.

many places you mention are food shops, petrol stations etc etc You don't require special knowledge, experience and skills form the staff in these so they will tend to be staffed by either young people sytarting out in life or semi-retired people etc etc. The moment you have bright, intelligent, skilled and knowledgeable staff and tell them they need to work late shifts and weekends in order to keep customers happy many will leave the industry and lead to poorer standards of service in LBS's.

My partner teaches so the thought of working saturdays and sundays every week would be ridiculous, I'd never see her. Why should I do that just to accommodate a few people?

Rant Over

ojom
    Free Member

competing with Internet means I'm selling stuff for less than I bought it,

You will know this but… you need to stop that immediately.

So what would a small retailer expect to make off a £1k bike?

Depends on the brand but less than you think.

bruneep

1/3?

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Bike shop opening hours, am I missing something?’ is closed to new replies.