Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Bike shop moan
  • carbon337
    Free Member

I had my XT shadow mech fail on my Five after 6 months so took it back to the shop. Cut a long story short they gave me my bike back and sent mech off to Maddison – 4 weeks later i was still chasing this so they have given me a £70 quid store credit.

In the meantime I bought a new rear mech so I could keep riding (normally ride 2-3 times a week). They wont give me the cash (i would take a reduction for the cash) and say I can have a credit. However they don’t stock anything I want and its a bit of an effort to buy something to then sell on here/ebay. Especially when the shop prices are so high against the likes of CRC.

Do I have any rights here to request a cash refund or are they already going far enough.

Not really complaining I just fancy some new wheels in a spec they cant supply and its irritating me.

If anyone wants anything from a shop in Gosforth Newcastle let me know

cynic-al
    Free Member

Don’t see how you can get cash out of them unless it’s a clear warranty issue.

Oggles
    Free Member

Did you buy the replacement mech from them?

carbon337
    Free Member

Clear warranty? Madison issued them a credit to give me a new one but they dont have the mech in stock so said take a credit instead. The shop knows I have replaced the mech at my own cost as it was taking ages to sort out.

Trimix
    Free Member

Ask the Citizens advice people – trade descriptions and crap goods stuff. I think you can get the money back if they take too long to sort it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ahh that’s clearer. I think under SOGA a refund may apply.

TJ?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Tell them to order you a mech. It’s not a difficult thing to get hold of

Sell brand new mech on classifides.

That said, it’s odd that you can’t find something worth £70 to spend it on!

warton
    Free Member

did they give you the credit as a sweetener while the mech is being fixed? Or is it to replace the mech?

EDIT: question answered! surely they can order in a Shimano mech? they are a bike shop after all!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Sounds like a refund. If madison refunded them then madison have accepted it as faulty thus SOGA applies thus refund / replace / repair – your choice.

Q9. Must I accept a credit note instead of a refund?

It depends on why you want to return the goods.

• If you have changed your mind, then the shop doesn’t have to do anything.

• But if the goods are faulty, incorrectly described or not fit for purpose, then you are entitled to your money back (provided you act quickly), and you certainly don’t have to take a credit note

• If you do accept a credit note in these circumstances, watch out, as there may be restrictions on their use.

• If the shop displays a sign stating they only give credit notes instead of refunds, they might be breaking the law and you could report them to Consumer Direct on 08454 04 05 06. Consumers in Northern Ireland should contact Consumer Line on 0845 600 6262.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html

carbon337
    Free Member

Think I will just get them to order me something – maybe a 10sp XT medium cage mech then sell it on here.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Bike shop moan’ is closed to new replies.