Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Bike shop bodge, but now there closed
  • Rscott
    Free Member

So my mum hasnt really ridden her Bike in several years as her back has been playing up, but last summer she decided to get it serviced and looked over by the LBS so she could try and get out on it.

They charged her for a full service a and front mech. she went out on it once and it played heck with her back, she also complained the front rings were not working propperly and making a lot of noise so I swapped the parts on to a much more compact frame. and found the mech they had charged her £40 fo fitted on top of the service, was a 9spd mech and her bike is a 8spd, they hadn’t even lined it up so the bottom of the mech ground the top of the chain rings.

Unfortunately the shop has since closed down,not a big surprise if this was the work they were doing, but they were ment to be a high end shop stocking cove, and the likes. I ave a good mind to go round to the ex owners house and have a word.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

As the ex-owner of a now defunct bike shop, I expect he’ll give about this much >< of a sh*t.

iolo
    Free Member

I ave a good mind to go round to the ex owners house and have a word.

I fell your pain but going round? Really? Good luck with that.

Bike shop bodge, but now there they’re closed

100mphplus
    Free Member

If it was a Fr Mech it makes no difference if it was an 8sp or 9sp Mech!!

IHN

They may not have fitted it brilliantly, but there’s no difference between an 8spd front mech and a 9 spd front mech.

Rscott
    Free Member

I beg to differ, the cage on a 9spd front mech is narrower than an 8 speed, which when the rest of the kit is almost 20 years old it makes shifting difficult, any self respecting mechanic would have put a 7/8spd mech on there and seen that the shifting is much easier smoother and accurate.

I say this as an ex mechanic, (been out of the business for about 8 years) and having tried several different mechs I had lying around i can tell you the only ones that worked as they should when paying £40 for a cheap mech and fitting are the 7/8spd ones. The irony is the last time I was in his shop a good year before (as I moved away) he was complaining that nobody supported the LBS,I wonder why?

iolo
    Free Member

Would it have not been cheaper for your mother if you serviced the bike and sourced whatever parts online?

wwaswas

So it was the right mech poorly fitted?

I’m not sure giving the ex owner a piece of your mind is going to achieve much.

hora
    Free Member

OP I’d hate to cross you. I imagine the ex owner probably has a world of shit in his life compared.

Rscott
    Free Member

No it was the wrong mech, also poorly fitted.

ruffride
    Free Member

2 screws on the top use them an save the tears

iolo
    Free Member

Sheldon says it normally not a problem and will probably work

So OP probably doesn’t work on this bike

Rscott
    Free Member

Hora knowing him personal he wouldn’t give a hoot and as far as his life goes he’s doing more than alright.

Rscott
    Free Member

My main annoyance is that we have no comeback on services that we have payed for once a company has liquidated. and that maybe these people can learn for the future why they lost busines as i would more than happily support a LBS if they provide a quality service.

crikey
    Free Member

Are you called Dave by any chance? Any connection to Huddersfield?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I beg to differ, the cage on a 9spd front mech is narrower than an 8 speed, which when the rest of the kit is almost 20 years old it makes shifting difficult, any self respecting mechanic would have put a 7/8spd mech on there and seen that the shifting is much easier smoother and accurate.

LBS mechanic here.
    Agreed, it’s not ideal, but there’s no reason it shouldn’t work perfectly, if you know what you’re doing. If I’d have fitted it, you’d have never realised. 🙂

EDIT
    OP, where are you based? I work in west London, live in Farnborough. I’ll sort it for free.

scunny
    Free Member

Why didn’t you service the bike yourself?

Fitted incorrectly, maybe, but it definitely would have worked.

Rscott
    Free Member

I have sorted it with some dodging, the limiter screws wouldn’t move the cage enough.

scunny already said I had moved away.

and as it happens I grew up in Huddersfield and now live there once again,

My brothers 51 and called Dave too. Only joking but I do live in Huddersfield now

dannybgoode

Be annoyed then move on…

MartynS

I say this as an ex mechanic, (been out of the business for about 8 years) and having tried several different mechs I had lying around i can tell you the only ones that worked as they should when paying £40 for a cheap mech and fitting are the 7/8spd ones. The irony is the last time I was in his shop a good year before (as I moved away) he was complaining that nobody supported the LBS,I wonder why?

I ran 9 speed front mechs with 8 speed chains/rear mechs for years with no problem at all.
    Granted that’s no help to the op…..

jkomo

It is a bad show, but the poor bastard has lost his business. Have some compassion.

wwaswas

I’d reserve my ire for whoever got her to buy the wrong size bike.

Rscott
    Free Member

the bike was a good size untill she damaged her back as i said we sized down to make it more comfortable for her Injury. Its sorted now i have had my roast, but next time im in the pub with said person i’ll be letting him know.

crankrider
    Free Member

Unfortunately the shop has since closed down,not a big surprise if this was the work they were doing, but they were ment to be a high end shop stocking cove, and the likes. I ave a good mind to go round to the ex owners house and have a word.

Poor service and annoying but I doubt you would get anywhere by going round his house, other than getting into a potential fight that is.

If I had a business which failed and some bloke came knocking on my door / confronted me in the pub about £40 a year down the line I doubt I would take too kindly to it!

Take it on the chin and move on – maybe he closed down because all of the work was terrible – don’t make a potentially huge situation out of a small one.

gonzy
    Free Member

I still run 8 speed on my bike. Front and rear mechs are 9 speed. Everything works perfectly for me. Be patient and set it up correctly and it works seamlessly.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Gonzy, yes it does mate. You are quite correct. But the OP doesn’t want to hear that, he just wants to rant about it and not listen to anyone else.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Yep no issues with 9speed mech on 8spees set ups. Can’t see how the limit screw would be any different between the two either.

But back to the point just move on

trail_rat
    Free Member

Only reason limit screws wouldnt adjust enough would be if the bb was too long/short…..but he knew that im sure after 8 years

Rscott
    Free Member

ok comeupyou can have the mech and the bike and set it up. As i said allis sorted if you read my posts you will find I actuly know the bike shop owner personaly, But Obviously you have your head so stuck up your own arse you cant read the posts. there ended up being 3 of us trying toget it to work and I didn’t all of us build bikes regularly and know what were doing.

As i also said it is now sorted and the issues was the cage was too narrow to accomodate the chain lines.

But you don’t want to hear that becasue obviously you cannot be wrong.

Rscott
    Free Member

And trail rat I did say been out the buissness for 8 years, the BB and cranks are the originals so I had never put that into the equation, but it would make sense that a shorter bb would probably have put the chain line into a better area.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Given that a 9 speed and 8 speed rear cassette are the same width would the chain line not be the same
    8 speed chain is a little fatter than 9 so I guess could rub at the extremes but still never had an issue

Oh ok a little re read was needed opps

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

As i also said it is now sorted and the issues was the cage was too narrow to accomodate the chain lines.

Yeah. I know. It happens quite regularly especially on lower end bikes with poor chainring alignment. Do you know how many 7/8/9/10 speed bikes I set up a week? Do you know how many of those get a slight tweak to the front mech? Lots. Lots and lots. I’ve done it that many times over the 20+ years I’ve been working on my own bikes before I went pro I couldn’t even begin to count. 9sp mechs on 8sp bikes? Every time. No problem.
    So chill dude. It nothing to bother about. If you can’t do it, doesn’t mean nobody can. 🙂

flippinheckler
    Free Member

This should be on the petty annoyances thread.

Rscott
    Free Member

my point is the mech wasn’t set upright and my other had payed at the time a high end and respect able bike shop to set it upright. And then wonder why local people don’t support them.

There isn’t an excuse for that even if you are closing down,this wasn’t the first bit of bad service we had had from them or others had in fact it became a running joke with the owner. If you came in with some useful information on how it was could be fixed people may listen.

This is the first time i have not managed to fit a front mech and feel that a mech that you can buy for £9.99 and £30 fitting isn’t acceptable.

gonzy
    Free Member

OP ok to get back to the point of you confronting the former shop owner….this will prove what exactly other than help you get it off your chest? Its not like he’s going to say sorry mate for sticking the wrong mech on and not doing a good job of it, here’s your 40 quid back.
    Put it this way…how would you respond if you were in his shoes?
    Back to the components though…I still cant understand why it took 3 of you to get the set up to work especially when you claim to be pretty handy with the bike tools. My set up runs an 8 speed chain on 9 speed front rings and cranks. Cassette is 8 speed but rear mech is 9 speed. Rear shifter is 8 speed xt and front shifter is 8 speed stx-rc unit that is fir a 3×8 set up. My cranks run 2 rings and a bash. All of this works perfectly for me. There is no chain rub anywhere and the chain line is not interrupted at all (even when I ran 3 rings at the front).
    I’m pretty competent at most bike stuff and can build my own bikes but thats as far as it goes for me. I cant bleed brakes, service suspension or build wheels. But you said you worked in a bike shop as a mechanic so I fail to understand why you found it so hard to get the set up working…
    I’m not having a go at you but I do find your difficulties I this quite baffling.

Rscott
    Free Member

As i say feel free to come and sort it I’ll take the spacers I fitted out and you can try, if you bring me some forks or a wheel i’ll build them or service them for you. as I say first mech I have not got to fit. And i understand that 8spd normal works with 9spd.

As I alos said I hadn’t taken into acount the BB altering the chain line as I expected that with them being the organals the parts supplied in the cost would fit with a little adjusting.If the same post was made and the shop hadn’t closed i’m sure most would be saying pop back in.

chojin
    Free Member

OP – It could be worse, you could have bought a second hand car from a massive multi franchise main dealer, who 2 weeks after they went into liquidation the turbo blew.
    No one would honour the warranty leaving you with a £2000 bill.

£40 for a mech is cheap.

stanfree
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHOf3s70w-c[/video]

Rscott
    Free Member

was the warranty not with a 3rd party?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Bike shop bodge, but now there closed’ is closed to new replies.