Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • bike shop bill
  • swiss
    Free Member

i picked up a frame today after it had been replaced under warrenty and i was charged £20 for the postage both ways. i have had frames replaced before and never been charged. i know i have had a new frame but i dont think i should of been billed? anyone else had this happen to them?

bassspine
    Free Member

that’s less than it cost to post, you could count on £15 each way. Plus packaging and time to pack it. Did you post it or did they?

coatesy
    Free Member

Check the warranty small print,it usually excludes carriage and labour costs, though shops generally tend to waive these charges.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andrewh
    Free Member

Cost me £20 to send one to shop for examonation.
    Return was paid for by them.

aboutbikes
    Free Member

The price seems fair but it hinges on the relationship you have with the shop. We usually absorb post fees on warranty work. Its all goodwill but for the few who take the piss it gets passed on at cost.

Jamie
    Free Member

Sending stuff back to Merlin costs, but they will pay for return postage.

Seems fair-ish.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Would you say twenty quid was fair for the use you’ve had from it so far? They’re not ripping you off, just covering their costs (or less).

MSP

You buy from shop, you return to shop, any postage between the shop and their supplier is their problem. Thats the law, your contract is with the person you bought from, not the manufacturer/importer.

geoffj

MSP +1

Would you expect to pay transport costs for a warranty replacement TV / DVD / fridge if you returned it to the shop you bought it from?

Nope, thought not. They are taking the mickey.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I would say you have to pay postage one way not both and I have posted frames off for £9 inc insurance recently!

chakaping
    Free Member

Sounds a bit cheeky to me. Did you do something to upset them?

Yeah you have to pay to return to Merlin, but they’re a mail order company.

br
    Free Member

Depends on what the warranty was for, failure or damage/crash-replacement.

If failure, then yes, I would have expected them to send it foc – unless outside the standard warrenty period, then…

But you say:

i have had frames replaced before and never been charged

Is this normal, more than one warrenty failure/claim?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Warranty is what ever the manufacturer says it is. You legal rights under SOGA are different.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘bike shop bill’ is closed to new replies.