Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Bike shipping to NZ
  • integral
    Free Member

Allright geezers! I’m a Kiwi looking to ship a bike to NZ, can anybody recommend a shipping company that will deliver a bike to NZ at a reasonable price? Sea freight will be fine.

Thanks in advance

Kahurangi

I’ve always flown with my bike. Much much cheaper like that (so long as you’re already taking a trip, natch).

IIRC from others experiences it can cost about £250 (was $500, now probably more like $450) to ship a bike.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sea freight is hard to come by takes ages and will probably lead to more inspections…
    I sent 6 to Oz a few years back via transglobalexpress who are agents for the nig couriers. fiddle with the bike box dimensions to get it under the max dimensions and see what comes out – you will pay volumetric weight so the box will take up to 32kg.
    Assuming shipping from the UK? You will need from Oz experience an address and the customs paperwork completed for it.

integral
    Free Member

Thanks chaps, I will be traveling overland through Asia for part of the trip home, so taking the bike with me is not an option. Sea freight is OK cos I have 3 months until I will need it. Any other tips?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Pack it well. I don’t think sea freight was much cheaper as at that volume it was the fees that took a chuck out (container, load unload, customers etc.) proportionally I think I probably paid similar air freight. Try the lot in my first post for a quote.

bgascoyne
    Free Member

Hi – there are quite a few shipping companies that will ship anything to NZ, down to only a bike. If you are over here on holiday then they will even come and collect it from you (if you can arrange a suitable time, place etc). Not sure on the cost, my guess would be around £150-200, but thats just a guess. Just do a google on shipping from UK to NZ. I was looking a few months ago as I am looking at moving back home to NZ from the UK.

Cheers

ratadog

Used the Excess Baggage company to ship a bike to NZ three years back. Cost approx 130ukp for freight and insurance and then 150nzd for inspection, fumigation and customs fees in NZ. This was despite the fact that it was a new bike and had been cleaned to within an inch of its life before leaving here. Whole process went seamlessly otherwise, door to door with company providing box and packaging.

integral
    Free Member

Thanks ratadog. Sounds like what I need. Did you pay the customs and fumigation fees up front or were they a surprise at the other end? What was the total time door to door? Cheers

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The ones I did had it all inclusive (except remedial action) sea freight your looking 3 to 4 months based on when the container fills, air your looking at 10 days. I’d rather be on hand to deal with any issues on landing & customs. Sea freight would have been a pain if I wasn’t there to sort it out.

andykentos
    Free Member

I am in the same boat, going to NZ for a month and really want to take a bike, considering shipping it out.

Bit scared that i try to travel with it and get to london and they say i cant get it on the plane.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Bit scared that i try to travel with it and get to london and they say i cant get it on the plane.

Bikes and planes are easy. Check the excess luggage allowance for any sports equipment, if it’s there call up and check. If not (most) will insist it’s part of your hold allowance.

mickmcd
    Free Member

I use a company called world options

we ship literally thousands of pounds worth of stuff 5-6k jigs all over the shop using them , they basically are a third party agent for UPS etc ,advantages are they will do the paperwork to cover the import at the other end for you and already know the regs etc

however make sure your packaging is bomproof

you can buy insurance to ship 10ks worth of bike, we do this under our own policy now but when we used theirs it was cheap

mikewsmith
    Free Member

@mickmcd do they do both ways? just googled them and they have UK out options only up there.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Bike shipping to NZ’ is closed to new replies.