Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Bike Shed Project.
  • nicks
    Free Member

The time has come to design and build my bike shed at the end of my garden …. I’m restricted to 13ft wide but have enough space to go as deep as i want (Vs cost)

My initial though is a concrete base then 4 course’s of brick with the main construction in timber.

I need inspiration for size, frontage, storage solutions for 5 bikes, security and design / look. Something that when we sell the house can be used as a garden room etc

i can’t quite stretch to this 😆

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=207&t=1478342&mid=131457&nmt=New+Garage+Build+

STATO
    Free Member

Im planning to just dig wall foundations (mine will be totally brick/block) rather than lay a concrete floor. I’m planning a suspended floor as you would in a house. Hopefully warmer/nicer on the feet than cold concrete. I have no idea if this is a good plan!

STATO
    Free Member

I do like the half brick half timber idea, though cant do that as planning restrictions would mean you cant go bigger than 15sqm (if within 1m of boundary).

turboferret

Quite a few ideas mentioned in my shed build thread a while back which might be useful.

Hanging bikes alternately by front and back wheel keeps the bars away from each other and works very well in mine, although I have found that some oil has leaked out of the Fox forks on my 29er 😕

Cheers, Rich

honourablegeorge

STATO – Member
    Im planning to just dig wall foundations (mine will be totally brick/block) rather than lay a concrete floor. I’m planning a suspended floor as you would in a house. Hopefully warmer/nicer on the feet than cold concrete. I have no idea if this is a good plan!

Might be iffy if you attempt to park a car in there

STATO
    Free Member

Might be iffy if you attempt to park a car in there

Thankfully I have a garage for that, tho i cant drive and dont own a car so kind of moot anyway.

fasthaggis

I went for full concrete block walls in the end,it wasn’t much more than the half wall build that brickies originally priced up.I then clad it in wood to make it look like a shed. 🙂

MoreCashThanDash

Loving the wood clad blocks idea.

I’d be reluctant to go half timber from a security point of view?

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Ooh nice thread. Look forward to seeing how this develops…
    Bookmarked for next year when I look at something similar.

nicks
    Free Member

Concrete Block could be a very good idea then clad it.

How big is that fasthaggis ?

fasthaggis

Nick

Yeah,I liked the idea of a bit more security with the concrete blocks and the cladding finishes it off.
    It’s a 12’x12′ inside space on concrete ,with a raised wooden floor.
    The overhang on the roof is ace,I wish I had made it bigger with a proper porch.

maxray
    Free Member

ooh will keep an eye on this. I have much the same space in width though working for 13ft2 I think. Just got a set of bifold doors on ebay to build it around. So excited!

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Right, when I move next week (hopefully) I’ll be needing a man cave.

My initial thoughts are to buy a metal shed 6×8 with a metal frame base then fill that with concrete and put 4 ground anchors in. Thinking thats pretty secure, round off all bolts with a drill and put an alarm in the door.

Now I’ve heard the brink structure idea, how easy/expensive is it?

Murray

Could you use shear nuts rather than rounding off with a drill? Either that, or get a friend with a welding set to weld them in place.

Even a metal shed could be broken into (angle grinder and cutting disk) but the game is about increasing the amount of time and violence needed to breach it – same as safes!

thetallman
    Free Member

Bit of cross-forum postage, but here’s mine.

Bike shed/workshop

40mpg

If you want to insulate a poured concrete floor slab, just put some flooring insulation down before pouring teh concrete. You’ll need to add some reinforcing mesh to stop teh slab cracking, but otherwise that would be fine.

If building blockwork walls, add a thickening to the edge of the slab (ie bit of a trench around the edge).

Got to say blockwork walls are much better for security. Also if you’re cladding these with timber, again add some insulation between the battens. Cosy!

matt_outandabout

My initial thoughts are to buy a metal shed 6×8

Some of the metal sheds are shockingly poorly constructed and thin metal. Be very careful – most are then just hand screwed on, but to be honest a pry at a corner with a screwdriver and you could just rip whole panels off simply. 😕

STATO
    Free Member

Awesome shed thread Tallman, how tall is that tho, did you get planning or just wing it?

thetallman
    Free Member

how tall is that tho, did you get planning or just wing it?

It’s a few years ago now, but I think I went by these guidlines at the time.

Outbuildings and garages to be single storey with maximum eaves height of 2.5 metres and maximum overall height of four metres with a dual pitched roof or three metres for any other roof.

Maximum height of 2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container within two metres of a boundary of the curtilage of the dwelling/house.

Peak of the roof actually worked out at 2.7m. Thankfully, any nearby houses are at least 20m away and set up on higher ground, so I’m effectively hidden out of sight.

zero-cool
    Free Member

We’re doing the opposite, building a tool/general crap shed to free up space in the bike/gym garage. Liking the ideas here

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Bike Shed Project.’ is closed to new replies.