Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • bike set ups and shorter stems / reach and handling
  • firestarter
    Free Member

righty i have a five spot with a 90mm stem and a 456 with a 70mm stem both have exactly the same reach from tip of saddle to bars (same saddles) now the 456 feels much better on the downs and equal on the ups is this due to the short stem ? ie should i stick a 70mm on the turner and slide the seat back or run a shorter total reach .

id like them to feel at least similar but can it be so or is it just a case of completely different bikes feel different even with saddle height and actual reach are the same ?

also for people on here with a few bikes do you set them up with the same reach/saddle heights i use both mine for general stuff so thought same measurements would be good but it appears to not quite work

sorry for going on lol
    cheers

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Never even bother considering reach really, my last bike had a 22inch top tube and im 6 foot 2.

The only thing i never do is run more than a 70mm stem cos its **** for jumps/downhills. I also find I get more power to the pedals if i sit more over the bb so i dont ever run layback seat posts cos it feels awkward sat right off the back of the bike.

There two different bikes, surely part of them being different is the fact they have a different 'reach'

firestarter
    Free Member

well there is only a few mil difference and with the stems they have on its the same i just thought as they are both all dayers the same reach would be of benefit but i may be wrong

GW
    Free Member

has nothing to do with where your saddle is. (you don't sit while descending (or I hope you don't)
    where your bars are in relation to your feet along with wheelbase and front centre is what's important.

but, aye (on pretty much any MTB) a 70mm stem will feel better on descents than a 90mm one

BillyBull
    Free Member

I swapped my 5 Spot to 70mm. Feels much better. Hope that helps.

firestarter
    Free Member

yeah i get you i just didnt want to compromise the climbing but i guess its a bit of give and take , seems mad a few years ago i was on an 18 inbred with a 120mm stem and now im on a 16 with a 70mm stem 😉 how times change

tops5
    Free Member

i run a 50mm on my medium spot (short @rse) great on downs and jumps/drops seems ok on climbs too.

lyons
    Free Member

just try the 70mmm stem on the five spot…

firestarter
    Free Member

i might have to just means swapping bars too as one standard one os. I was really wondering about the reach to as id be shortening it by twenty mil compared to the other bikes and i like it as is. Will have to have a play around

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Try a shorter stem and wider bars, will put your hands further apart so it may not affect the reach as much perhaps

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘bike set ups and shorter stems / reach and handling’ is closed to new replies.