Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Bike set up? Or just me??
  • Stumpjumper
    Free Member

So, Day after an awesome day at bike park wales, Did all the runs (reds, blues blacks etc), managed 11 uplifts! Non stop, I noticed i was experiencing hand fatigue after about run 3. Mainly in my finger joints and my wrists. At the end of the day seemed to be struggling to grip the bar it felt like.

I’m an experience rider, Ridden everything in wales over the last few years, ride regularly north downs etc, so not a nooob. Just wondering if this is just me getting old!! (36) or the fork?
    Set up:
    Canyon nerve am (150),
    X-fusion slant fork set 30% sag. No compression adj.
    Hans damps s.g front tyre at 28psi (great tyre)
    Renthal kenvlar grips, Specialized 750 bar.

Guess question is should i be looking for a better fork???

legend
    Free Member

Maybe it’s just to do with the fact you’re not used to riding uplift days?

Stumpjumper
    Free Member

Possibly, Mainly xc/singletrack duties, which is whats local to me. Dont think the bike was under biked yesterday, Although did give it a hammering!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Don’t have an answer, but I was there at the weekend. Interestingly my mates both seemed to suffer from fatigue more than me: pumped arms, more out of breath. I assumed I was just a better, smoother rider.

Conclusion: you’re old and need some skills training 😆

…But buy some new gear if it makes you feel better 😉

Other possibly sincere conclusion: ineffective brakes? If it’s easier and less effort to control your speed that can save a lot of the “grip of death” that causes fatigue

JoeG
    Free Member

How tight are you gripping the bar? Are your elbows bent or locked?

Some riders (especially new ones) have a death grip on the bar, which is very tiring.

If you want to try fixing the problem by spending money, try a carbon bar if you don’t have one already.

Or, maybe one of these 😉

mindmap3
    Free Member

I was the same when I went last month and put it down to lack of uplift days. I used to ride a lot of DH when I lift in Sheffield but when I went to Morzine my arms were destroyed just because I wasn’t used to such long descents.

Stumpjumper
    Free Member

Purposely not gripping bar too tight, As have suffered in the past, Moved lever reach in a touch which helped. Was a good day anyway, Chased down some bigger bikes too!

My main concern was that feeling it in my finger joints (more than anything)

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

Is this time to mention trying a power ball?

matt_outandabout

I find minor things go like brake lever angle and position can increase or decrease arm / hand pump a lot.
    I also roll my bars further forward as I found that more comfy.

atlaz
    Free Member

Just under-used muscles really. I find the same when I go down to the bike park for the first time each season

jonahtonto
    Free Member

finger tape!
    mates who rock climb suggested it, i couldn’t believe the difference it made. its tendons not muscles, you dont have muscles in your fingers

i used to have to unpeel my left hand off the grips with my right hand after a long day.
    for me i just put a band around my ring finger on my left hand just around the section where a ring would sit, but you’ll have to experiment as to which bits of your own hand to tape up.
    never in the history of cycling has £1 spent had so much effect on my riding ability (i have been a compulsive fork changer to try and fix this problem)

cookeaa

I was at BPW on Sunday and had a bit of hand/arm pump by the end of the day, I know the culprit(s) though, wet weather and a general lack of time on the MTB leading to leading to an excess of Death grip and some over braking.

I knew I was doing it after the first run and tried to coax myself into loosening up, but some days your can’t override the stupid…

mtbtom
    Free Member

I’ve had the same problem. Have big hands, so tried bigger grips which really helped. Skinny grips are fashionable at the moment, but not great for those of us with chimp-hands.

deano8
    Free Member

I agree with mtbtom, larger grips really helped me too, I don’t have large hands but I get little or no fatigue in my handsome forearms anymore:)
    I’m not young either..

patriotpro
    Free Member

I braked too much when I went to Antur which coursed me to be shit scared and crash. What I learnt was to STAY OFF the brakes.

You could also start doing off-the-bike exercises to strengthen your grip.

Do you go to the gym? Does it have a Bulgarian-Bag?? (No im not talking about the receptionist)

Stumpjumper
    Free Member

Yeah, defo not braking as much as I thought I would, been to stiniog too before – although not as long-a run, so never had the problem there.
    Ride weekly or as much as I can mainly North Downs Peaslake etc, so not rocky or as fast as BPW..
    was pumping and flowing as much as my “talent” could handle, thinking the skinny grips dont help. They are the Renthal Kevlar job’s. bout 6 months old.
    Going back in May, so gonna try a few set ups and see what happens.

Peace out.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Bike set up? Or just me??’ is closed to new replies.