Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Bike set up mtb
  • velosam
    Free Member

I finally went off road after nearly 18 months and oddly enoughI quite enjoyed it.

However set up is a problem. My wrists were killing me and I am not sure why. Would I need a shorter stem? I am currently running a 100mm.

For reference my road bike runs 90mm stem with a 570mm top tube.

The mtb has a 590mm top tube.

My setup mtb v road is totally different with the mtb having much less saddle setback , again are mtbs set up very differently?
    Thanks

klunky
    Free Member

Stem could be an issue.
    I would try free things first – adjust brake lever angle and raise the hight of the bar with a stem spacer/s.
    Then shorter stem then riser bar?

antigee

could end up in a circular sort of situation

not ridden mtb for quite a while gripping a bit too much and not relaxed

shorter stem will make steering response more twitchy = grip harder

just relax and ride mtb more

makes note that since “darkside” is endemic OP feels need to add “mtb” to post 🙄

velosam
    Free Member

Cheers. Thought I would add mtb as most set up questions are road lol.

Stem is as high as it can go. Will play with the lever position. I did try heavy feet light hands but was too scared of falling off. I even got off stuff where good technique would get you through. I was amazed how hitting bumps didn’t throw me off!

deviant
    Free Member

Velosam great to read your posts and see you’re enjoying it!

Today’s MTBs are incredibly capable, the team/development riders from each firm will have pushed that bike way beyond what most of us are capable of!

As others have said, raising the front with stem spacers, perhaps a stem with some rise and also riser bars can also help alleviate wrist pain. Change one thing at a time to avoid any confusion and ride each change for a few times before deciding whether or not it was a worth while change.

Less of a nervous death grip on the bars definitely helps but that will come with experience and confidence, once your bar control is relaxed and second nature you can tinker with lever angles if wrist pain persists etc etc.

Could also simply be a case of nothing wrong with your setup but it’s just all new to you!….and you may just need time in the saddle to get comfortable….I went the other way and got a road bike in 2012 and it took me a while to adjust.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Bike set up mtb’ is closed to new replies.