Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Bike servicing….what's involved?
  • LapSteel
    Free Member

A guy at work was complaining that he needed a bike service and couldn't find any shops that would do it as they all had a huge backlog. He said Halfords do it for £17 and I was just wondering what kind of service you would get for that sort of money?

joe@brookscycles
    Free Member

Basically (and it is pretty basic), a serviced bike will have:

Brakes working, gears working, bolts tight, tyres pumped up, bearings not loose/tight, nothing loose/snapped/worn out/dangerous.

IME, '£17 services' (that's a '£15 Checkover' in my shop…) end up at an average of £30-ish once all the parts are factored in.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I think it varies where you go – LBS strips down the drivetrain and cleans them all – re-index, lube, checks over bike etc – Think that was about £50 – that's a full service IIRC.

cynic-al
    Free Member

£17 at Halfords would get you (at a guess) setting up gears and brakes only.

What I know as a service is the above + setting all bearings and truing wheels. Greasing bearings is part of an overhaul.

joe@brookscycles
    Free Member

Stripping stuff down and 'preventative maintainance' comes under the bracket of full/race services – usually £50-£100.

In short, you get what you pay for.

thepodge
    Free Member

Most cheap services say they'll "check" lots of stuff but then they charge you for doing anything about their findings

LapSteel
    Free Member

Thats more a less what I thought. My idea of a service would be stripping down gears and brakes and relubing etc.
    I was going to offer to service the guy at work's bike until he said he had 2 bent wheels, the brakes didnt work and the gears didnt shift properly. He appears to be under the delusion that all this will be sorted by Halfords for £17 🙄

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Bike servicing….what's involved?’ is closed to new replies.