Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bike service casualty list
  • dropseoi
    Free Member

Ok, thought it was about time I serviced my hardtail (bike I ride most) as after the winter we’ve just had I knoew there were probably a few jobs needed, transmission a bit worn, little did I realise!

End results:
    fork serviced (TF)
    New chainring
    New chain
    New cassette
    New pedals (flats worn beyond repair)
    New BB
    New grips (worn right through)

I can’t believe I was riding the bike! Anyone else opened a similar can of worms when spring cleaning their bikes or is it just me?!

whistlingdogg
    Free Member

Yep

New Chain
    New Cassette
    New BB
    Fork Serviced
    New Jocky Wheels
    New Cables
    New Rear Tyre
    New Headset
    Rear hub rebuilt

OUch

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Me too.

‘Pig:

Chain, Chainset, BB, Bleed brake, Full fork home service, Cassette and roast brake pads in gas cooker to remove oil. Tyres too. Seat.

Yesterday: Seatclamp [broke on the way home, boo.

Thorn
    Chain, Gearcables, Chinring, Rohloff Sprocket, Rohloff Oilchange, grips, seat. Front hub internals and grease. CKing service [at home].

Centrum

>8speed [Alfine/spokes/rim], shifter, Chain, rebuild front hub, Headset rebuild, dropout…

Maybe I should have done these jobs in the last few months!

dropseoi
    Free Member

Glad it’s not just me then. Think I got off lightly, should’ve ridden more over the winter!

trail_rat
    Free Member

my roadrat

needed a new gear cable it seemed

found a broken spoke
    Brown gunge in cables
    chain thick with dirt and old oil
    brakes needing new pads
    serviced the alfine
    Serviced the front hub
    serviced the headset
    new inners and outers

still out of action yet,

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

yo, trail-rat

how do you service your alfine?

bruneep

yo, trail-rat

how do you service your alfine?

opened, looked in, looks fine, closed it.

robinbetts
    Free Member

gofasterstripes, please can I ask about “roast brake pads in gas cooker to remove oil”???

Do you stick the brake pads in the oven? Does that actually remove oil? How’s the oil got into them? My friend got some oil on his pads and it seemed like the pads and rotor were a write-off.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Magura 6.1 pads seem to be pretty resilient.

Having bled my brake I was a little ham-fisted and splashed oil from the top syringe around, some got onto the pads.

Rotor was washed in HOT water and washing-up liquid, scrubbed with a brush to get inside all the cutouts etc.

Pads – I heated [with a wire through the retaining hole]them in a gas-ring flame until they were about 100C [spit test] and then heated them for about as long again . Quite a lot of smoke came off. I repeated this twice, allowing them to cool in between.

When they were cool I washed them in running water and rubbed the friction material of them together quite hard to remove any surface glaze.

I cleaned the inside of the caliper with cotton-buds and a little nail-polish remover.

I tested after in free space in case the pad was about to disintegrate. They way I see it you are supposed to buy new pads, I was resigned to doing-so, so I though I have nothing to loose.

The result was a success – braking restored. It may not work with DOT fluid, or with fancy Teflon fluid spills, but plain oil seems to come out.

I have also heard it suggested that boiling them in very detergent-y water for hours?days? might work.

Good luck.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

opened, looked in, looks fine, closed it.

LOL

Also – different username?!

avdave2

Thorn
    Chain, Gearcables, Chinring, Rohloff Sprocket, Rohloff Oilchange,

Mines nearly 7 years old and I’m still on the original cables. My third chain and sprocket went on at Christmas and my second chainring.

Northwind

I fix stuff as I go so I don’t really have to do services as such but after the dudes enduro last year was a brutal one for the Hemlock… It’d just had its forks and shock done, so no worries there, but- new chain, mech, bottom bracket, rear wheel, back tyre, cables, service dropper post 🙁 Could have bought a car for that!

bruneep

Also – different username?!

Aye right!!! 😯

No he showed me the pics..

love

TR 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

I go ride my bike for 2 hrs and get accused of dual usernames.

Nope i can confirm bruneep is older wiser and has less hair than i

tomhoward

Stepdad took his in for a service….

New, full, groupset. Chainset, cassette, chain, both mechs, shifters and cables.
    Fox Upper CSU
    Bearings (trek fuel ex 8.)
    True both wheels.

Brakes needed bleeding and the seals replacing too but he just replaced them.

£800 later he keeps more of an eye on what needs doing and when….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bike service casualty list’ is closed to new replies.