• This topic has 13 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by fbk.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Bike security- how much do you spend?
  • rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Bikes kept in a garage- time to lock them down.

I'm looking at a chain/lock/ground anchor combo, and had been looking at Oxford kit (motorcycle locks)

However, after this video i'm wondering wether I should be getting 16mm chain etc from Almax/Pragmasis- but its £180 for the setup.

Bikes aren't insured just now- and won't be if its £400+ like E&L. M+S home not an option just now, renewal just done.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

10 to 14 tins of dog food a week keeps my security well fed.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Spent 300 on m&s insurance

Spent 500 rrp on locks(but was in trade at time)

Still got a bike nicked…..oke they left all the bikes that were in my good locks and cut the one that had a token 12.99 lock on – the lock i carry if im just nipping into the newsagents. my locks were bought for my 4 bikes then i moved in with the missus so had 7 bikes to lock up and found my self short of lock space and had to use the 12.99 lock.

simon_g

Depends on how many thieves you think go around with 5ft bolt-croppers as part of their kit. If it's a well-equipped gang that are determined to get your bike they'd have hydraulic equivalents or powered cutters which will go through the likes of Almax in seconds too.

If I was keeping bikes in a garage, I'd concentrate on securing the main door (plus the back door if you have one) against people getting in – or if they do, it'll make a lot of noise to do it. Then use a less fancy chain/anchor, which will still stop the typical opportunists.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

An awful lot.

Junkyard
    Free Member

If i really wanted you bike I would hacksaw through your frame and sell the bits – still worth it sadly
    Reasonable to good security to deter an opportunist /semi-skilled thief. Couple of easy to steal sacrificial bikes that look ok but are not worth very much but only one lock on them – hoping they will nick thema s pi55 easy rather than go for good ones. The fleet anchored with ground anchor = two decent chains, D lock – New york one + 3 more cables. Shed alarmed + good external lock + good insurance that will pay up if nicked.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Current thinking is the decent setup @ £180 + a cable alarm. Can't get anything mains based (IR?) as far as I know, as the cat lives in there!

Dekerf
    Free Member

Upgrade the 'cat' 😉

would make most people think twice about nicking a bike if they have to get past a Lion

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Bikes aren't insured just now- and won't be if its £400

Big, BIG mistake.
    Get them insured before you spend money on security, because if someone wants your bike, they'll have it no matter what, sadly.

Dancake
    Free Member

My Mate's Epic got stolen a while back.

The c**ts came back (obviously) recently to nick the replacement. (unscrewed the door this time as the hasp had been beefed right up)

The alarmed chain was enough to scare them off this time and there have been no returns as yet. For a start you need to make someone else's property a better prospect than yours – after all these scallywags want it easy.

just to be sure, he has now added one of those blank shotgun firing jobs to his lock up…they will fill their pants when that goes off (kits are about 30 quid off the net with about 20 shells btw)

DrP

I recently got a £15 'shed alarm' from B+Q. Uses magnetic contacts, which when broken (i.e. garage door opened) can either set off a hellish alarm immediately, or have a 20 second delay if I'm coming in (has a 'home' and 'away' setting).

For the money I thought it's be a very good deterrent. I'm in the process of physically securing the bikes too (wall anchor high up to limit use of croppers slightly) but I firmly believe anything to scare scrotes away 'early on' (i.e. as soon as property threshold crossed) will send them the right message!

DrP

mk1fan
    Free Member

Firstly, ask the mods to change your original post to more general comments. It doesn't take long to find your address where your bikes are unlocked.

There are bike theives who frequent the forums.

Secondly. I would suggest that the almax would be worth it in one long length to connect all the bikes together and through a wall and ground anchor.

Additional to this I would put a heavy duty lock on each bike too – be this chain, or cable – from Oxford or alike.

Then, I would have a couple of additional locks threaded through linking the bikes together.

Finally, I'd remove the pedals from the bikes when they're locked up too.

Theives like it easy. One lock that may take a minute to get through is more attractive than three locks that take 45 seconds each.

Also try and keep locks 'tight' so that they can't be levered without damageing the bike.

enduro-aid
    Free Member

I spend nothing on bike security, bike is kept in a locked brick build gargae and apart from the front door which is steel and locked in 3 positions, the only access is through a side door which again is triple locking and behind a 6 foot high gate with 2 bolts on it

and the whole area is covered by motion sensitive flood lights and cctv

even if i didnt have my bikes i'd still have that set up

fbk
    Free Member

One thing I certainly wouldn't do is give E&L £400 of my money!!!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Bike security- how much do you spend?’ is closed to new replies.