Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • bike sale advise…… unhappy buyer
  • watsontony
    Free Member

i sold a bike on the 1st of december. the buyer has messaged me saying the frame has a crack in that has been there for a long time? the frame was raw alloy and i inspected the frame before the sale whilst giving it a polish, and was deferentially not cracked. If i had any doubt in my mind i would try my best to sort it out but i dont really see what i can do. the bike was sold near 2 months ago. The buyer has already started with threating to send family member round to my house!! ive seen brand new bikes trashed within two months. Is the buyer just trying to pull a fast one? any advise on how to deal with this would be really really usefull!

cheers tony

andyl
    Free Member

get him to send some pics and post them up here.

And record any threats and if need be report to the plod. then a broken frame will be the least of his worries.

shortcut

If he has ridden it he has accepted the bike and broadly speaking it is his tough luck.

He should have inspected and rejected within 1 week as a max.

But that doesn’t solve the problem that he is being a twit and threatening.

jonba
    Free Member

2 months is a long time and lots can happen.
    Ask for details and photos of the crack as it will help you establish if you could have missed it.

Also a polite response that you are prepared to look at it but will not tolerate any threatening behaviour/will report to police etc.

watsontony
    Free Member

this is the pic he sent me. the crack is under the weld. he is also claiming is was a very well disguised crack. how the **** am i meant to disguise a crack on a raw frame! ?

watsontony
    Free Member

plus its defo been used lots i could see my face in that frame when i sold it!!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A polite sorry but sold as seen. 2 months? Unless your a shop your not offering a warranty. Threats to the plod.

composite
    Free Member

2 months is way to long. If you are 100% sure when it went to him it was fine then clearly he has ridden it and broken it.

EDIT: Is that actually a crack?

andyl
    Free Member

there is loads of corrosion on that frame too.

Do you have any pics from when you sold it?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Tell him to **** off.

crftom
    Free Member

If it was a week fair enough but 2 months tell him to do one

djglover
    Free Member

Tell him to jog on

renton
    Free Member

What frame is that?

watsontony
    Free Member

its a kona stinky. i have politely told him to **** off.

this is the bike before i sold it. not the best pic and not the best bike (hence the sale) but it was described truthfully and its what he wanted. i get a standard low spec kona cindercone and 400 cash for the bike. i dont think there is any way to resolve this, without me ripping my self off.

takisawa2

He’s taking the P. Tell him no way. And put a call in to plod about the threats to send ol’ knuckledragger round.

renton
    Free Member

Its probably had the s~#t jumped out of it !!

politely tell him to jog on………….

wolfenstein
    Free Member

I sold a bike just 2 months ago, if he comes back to me now because he discovers a crack on the bike.. I would tell him politely if he wants me to put a crack on his skull too.. 2 months is a very long time for a 2nd hand deal… Report the threats to your local authorities and let him know that the threatening has been reported.

Liftman

Not sure that’s a crack, odd place for it to crack, looks more like a scratch.

As others have said after two months not your problem, if he wanted a warranty should have bought new.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

andyl – Member

there is loads of corrosion on that frame too.

deary me 🙄

lasty
    Free Member

RIDICULOUS !!!
    2 months is too long ….
    It`s his now so he needs to grow up and deal with it instead of threatening to send his dad around

hora
    Free Member

TBH its secondhand and when you get a used frame you turn it over and over in your hands giving it a once over- checked. Fine. After that its all yours to use (and abuse).

Sorry I don’t see how he has any comeback. As for ‘disguising’ a crack. that is disingenuous as its a raw frame. If it was a black frame he could say ‘you must have put black marker on and it washed off’.

Plus the new owner may have been sending it off big stuff. Or his Latte shop bike. Who knows.

andyl
    Free Member

deary me 🙄

Why do people on STW do this type of response?

edlong
    Free Member

1) Secondhand bike – sold as seen, certainly no recourse after two months!

2) Threats, straight to police, no hesitation

eyerideit
    Free Member

Give him a sticker to cover it and tell him that’s the best you can do.

twoniner
    Free Member

I’ve got some spare Superstar stickers you could sent to him 😀

wysiwyg
    Free Member

im suprised he hasnt announced

“Ur bik iz saracing”

Junkyard
    Free Member

2 months is too long its just bad luck

if i buy a car from you and 2 months later something breaks its tough luck – just as in this case

Log and report the threats if they appear to be serious

shortcut

I am shocked he is not on here moaning about someone selling him a broken bike and needing a refund!

RIPPED OFF ON EBAY would be the title.

poolman
    Free Member

report the threat to police – they take it seriously. Some muppet threatened residents in my block & they came round.

These things escalate.

blakeya
    Free Member

The cracked frame is now the least of that guy’s worries. Report him to the police for the threats he has made to you. And try not to worry about the situation.

You sold him the frame in good faith, hand shake deal, whatever, an englishmans word is a binding contract in the eye of the law when it comes to the selling of stuff.

He has not a leg to stand on my friend.

Take care
    Andy

hora
    Free Member

Missed that bit- hes threatening you. A strong email saying anymore threats and you’ll pass the information onto the Police (kept emails etc etc).

edlong
    Free Member

A strong email saying anymore threats and you’ll pass the information onto the Police (kept emails etc etc).

Cobblers, report it to the police now. the next person he threatens might be more vulnerable than you. Civic duty, and all that

wwaswas

Report to the police now.

Always best to get your retaliation in first.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘bike sale advise…… unhappy buyer’ is closed to new replies.