Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Bike routes in SW Anglesey?
  • Aristotle
    Free Member

I’ll be going to Anglesey in the near future and would like suggestions for bike routes of a couple of brisk hours.

I’m thinking back roads, tracks etc. suitable for a ‘cross bike, tourer (or “Gravel Bike” as people like to call them at the moment, despite the lack of many gravel roads in the UK).

So far, I have found the Sustrans page

Cheers.

whitestone
    Free Member

Anglesey isn’t a big place, a couple of “brisk hours” would get you all the way round the island! Apart from the A5 even the main roads are fairly quiet. Maybe head towards Newborough and ride round the forest (pretty flat and basically fire roads in the main) and also go to the beach.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I lived on Anglesey for 4 years. The Copper trail is OK to ride. There are some MTB routes around Amlwch.
    Copper trail.http://www.mudandroutes.com/copper-trail-anglesey-rural-cycle-route/
    There was an MTB race not so long ago that took in some old quarry works around Amlwch too.
    For a nice day out head out on the back lanes around Cemaes Bay. If it were me i would take the gravel bike. Enjoy.

Edit, found it. I think this was the route used
    [video]https://youtu.be/VFzwMwAVJm0[/video]

Aristotle
    Free Member

Thanks for that, Monkeysfeet

tillydog
    Free Member

The Parys mountain copper mine is fascinating to wander around – like another planet.

Newborough forest in the SE corner has lots of fire-road type stuff. It’s worth working your way out to Llanddwyn Island*, which is an absolutely magical place IMHO (*not really an island).

I think the road up the SW coast is really nice, but YMMV.

There’s also a small bike park near the Britania bridge (Coed Mor) – I’ve never been, though.

There are various gravel tracks at the mainland end of the Brittania bridge, running along near the edge of the Menai Straits, with some interesting stuff such as a a section of Stevenson’s original bridge, and the stone lions that used to guard the entrance to the bridge (if that’s your sort of thing).

Aristotle
    Free Member

Interesting, thanks

Aristotle
    Free Member

We ended up riding the cross bikes along the Coastal path through Newborough Forest, which was great, and then across some fields and over stiles/through gates, which was good in parts, and along the Menai Straits, with a return along the roads.

The weather was really good. Quite enjoyable.

Cheers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Bike routes in SW Anglesey?’ is closed to new replies.